Moving to Taiwan in my Mid-30s?

I’ve read many accounts of expats having lived and worked in Taiwan in their 20s and early 30s, then returning to their home countries. And yet here I am, approaching 35 and very interested in coming to Taiwan.

I don’t know specifically what I’m asking here yet, but I would like to hear others’ opinions on this. What might I expect? Pros? Cons? etc., etc. Anything really. I’m ready for a conversation! :ear: :lips:

12 Likes

I hope you like teaching English.

2 Likes

Lol, I just gotta ask my uncle if I want gator. He brought a cooler full of some he hunted when he came to visit one time. Last time I saw him, it was a truck-bed full of shrimp and crab at my cousin’s wedding.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ll fit right in! :+1:

2 Likes

I taught English for a year or so when I was younger (in China). And I absolutely expect to do so again if I were to establish myself in Taiwan. I’d make a much better teacher now than I did then. I did major in English, so one might say I was made for it. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Of course it’s workable. But do think carefully about your expectations and what you want from this experience. Subsistence living? Some savings? Career progression? Depending on your expectations, your time in Taiwan could be a terrific success . . . or a stalled and stalling disappointment.

Another point: I have no idea where you received your university degree, but depending on the institution, you may be qualified to apply for a Gold Card. Have a look at the requirements of this program as it may provide further flexibility for you by disentangling residency and employment.

And the last point: have you considered where in Taiwan you wish be located? This is obviously a small country compared to places such as China and the US but there are nevertheless some pronounced regional differences in culture, style, costs, and so on. Finding a good fit could help make this experience more pleasant.

Good luck and do keep us posted if you can.

Guy

9 Likes

Yep, and all of them in Chinese and Taiwanway. Enjoy. Learn the language and you’ll have a more funner times. :duck:

1 Like

What you have to know about Taiwan is that it’s not a place anyone goes to for money. For that reason, you get a lot of Westerners in their 20s living as carefree English teachers for a couple of years making reasonable money by the standards of Taipei and having a great time, but not staying very long. The older Westerners who stick around tend to stay because they really love Taiwan despite it’s many flaws (I’m in this category) or they have some specific reason to stay, such as family. If you hit the foreigner bars (or, for that matter, Forumosa), you’ll eventually come across the bitter and jaded middle-aged guys who have stayed too long and feel “stuck” because they haven’t been able to save any money or gain crossover skills to take back home. Any money you can save in Taiwan will be pittance in countries like the US and UK.

The eternal frustration of Taiwan for me, as a 37-year old who doesn’t want to live anywhere else, is that I’m now at a point in my life where I need to put money aside for my future and to support my mother who lives alone in London. I wasn’t thinking about these things when I was in Taiwan the first time in my 20s. But I was also constantly broke, cripplingly shy, generally clueless, and too lazy to learn Chinese when I was in my 20s. In my late 30s, I have a good job, I’m far more confident, and I’ve made a real attempt to learn the language, so my experience of Taiwan is far richer and more fulfilling than it was in my 20s.

So it really depends what you want out of it. If you’re looking for money and career development, forget about it. If, perhaps, you’ve been saving money and developing your career for a number of years now and want to do something new and exciting for a couple of years before you hit middle age, then it’s a great idea.

13 Likes

Be careful my friend, it seems you are only a few years away from joining us in this club.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

I would be happy with small savings. During my year spent teaching in China, I spent extremely little. Thus, while my salary was relatively low, so was the cost of living and I ended up taking back to the States most of what I made. That said, I’m not, and I might add an “unfortunately”, very money motivated. Regardless, the financial aspect of it all is something I still need to spend some time considering.

My degree is from a tiny, little liberal arts school, so I highly doubt that alone is going to qualify me.

I’m somewhat open about where I end up living, though I kinda figure I’d start off in Taipei. If I move to Taiwan, it’s going to be another year or two out, and I’ll probably make another trip over beforehand and explore some more. I’ve stayed around Taipei, travelled down to Kenting via Kaoshiung plus a couple of nights in Hualien. But my best friend’s family has a house in Taipei, so I could probably stay there for a bit while I hunt for a suitable apartment. More longterm, she might develop some property they have in Nantou, potentially even start a business, so that’s something I could help with.

There’s so much to consider! I appreciate your advice. I’ll certainly be around.

3 Likes

Definitely! I enjoyed getting to practice (and relearn in some cases) Chinese during my recent vacation in Taiwan. I’ve been working on learning more since I got back and want to bring my level to fully immersive fluency. Being able to speak a little Taiwanese would be great, but that will come later!

Why? There are many people who move to Taiwan to work in non teaching employment.

5 Likes

Not sure about the bars, I’m not allowed out, but I don’t really see that on here. Most of the regular posters seem quite happy with their life choices. Makes my bitter and jaded arse feel even worse.

3 Likes

Oh, haha, I think I can imagine the sort! I never really sought out laowai bars when I was in China, but knew plenty of other teachers that would go out and blow all their money on alcohol and what not.

Maybe not quite “crossover skills” but I did go from teaching English in China to working as a paralegal at an immigration law firm where 98% of our clients are Chinese. And being a white American who can (kinda) speak Chinese is usually entertaining for them. lol

I completely understand how things are with your mom. Luckily my parents are still fairly well off, but they’re older and I already live on the other side of the country (U.S. - so big country), so what’s it going to be like if I’m on the other side of the planet!?

Do you mind my asking what you do for work? I know most foreigners make their way as English teachers. As a teacher or not, I’m curious to know more about experiences with work and career in Taiwan.

I mentioned above but I’m not super money motivated. I also haven’t made a ton (not near poverty or anything just not what another more financially motivated person of my age, position and relative privilege could/would be making). Although I’m a paralegal, I get paid less than many but hey, the work is chill, flexible, has lots of vacation and my manager is my best friend so it’s been hard to give up. That said, I feel like I’ve gotten somewhat used to getting by on relatively little.

Anyhow, thanks for your response! It’s great to hear some feedback on my post.

That’s a nice myth. Most foreigners in Taiwan are not teaching English. In fact the largest foreign groups in Taiwan are Japanese followed by Thai’s. They aren’t teaching English. Westerners make up a very small percentage of foreigners in Taiwan. Many of the posters on this forum are not English teachers. If I had nothing better to do or needed a job it’s a job one can do to keep have an income. Foreign professionals not factory and domestic helpers from overseas

3 Likes

Makes sense!
I should have specified foreigners from countries where English is the primary or dominant language. Those are the one’s I’m referring to. But I assumed that’s primarily who used this forum.
What do you do?

I have a wee business in iptv and satellites hence my user name

1 Like

That’s not true, is it? IIRC, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the Philippines are the top three and Thailand is next, while Japan is further down (and probably below “westerners”, if we’re lumping us all together).

2 Likes

Indonesians, I think, have been #1 for quite a while, followed by other hardworking folks from other SE Asian countries.

This part is certainly true.

EDIT: @Andrew beat me to it!

Guy

2 Likes