Moving to Taiwan in November --- Questions!

Hi! I’m moving to Taichung to attend NCHU in December for 9 months. I am from NYC and I was wondering:

• how long does it usually take to find an apartment?
  • I am moving with my spouse who will joining me for a few months: ( About 3 months out of the 9 as of now) – would getting a roomate be ideal? Like are there couple roommates.
  • Can I find something modern in Taichung fully furnished and no roomates for under 20,000NTD?
  • Is 591 the only website for apartment hunting?
3 Likes

Maybe easier since you will be living in a more enlightened part of Taiwan. I live in Tainan so it is extremely hard to find one without a Taiwanese to accompany you or co-sign (which I never ever accept anymore).

If you’re not strapped for cash, I would just get an apartment without the roommates. In my opinion, the three months is too short. Maybe your university can arrange a short term or month to month rental. Call your international student department and ask if they can assist you.

I don’t know because I don’t live there, but there is Taichung City and there are smaller districts in Taichung that are cheap. Maybe someone on this forum can help. You don’t want to live in places like Wuqi District if possible.

There are others - 5643, rent.cthouse.com.tw, etc.

1 Like

Yes. For $20K in Taichung you can live in a one-bedroom luxury apartment (perhaps two-bedroom) in a modern condo tower with a lobby, reception desk, and nice amenities. Honestly you don’t need to spend that much. You’ll find plenty of comfortable (but not luxurious) one-bedroom apartments for under $15k.

Most apartments are partially furnished (bed, mattress, closets, sofa, small TV, and washer). You’ll need to fill up the rest of the apartment yourself.

Roommates are not necessary in Taiwan outside of Taipei, unless you’re a college student.

1 Like

As long as you want it to take. For the sake of a 9-month stay, you might want to just get an agent to find something for you, even though you’ll pay extra for the privilege. A 9-month contract is quite unusual in the first place and it’ll be quite hard to find a landlord prepared to do that.

The main reason for doing this would be to have someone stay on after the end of your 9-month stay (because you will almost certainly need to sign a 12-month contract). However I would suggest moving in first, and then looking for a roommate towards the end of your 9 months, on the understanding that you’re about to move out.

In Taichung, should be no problem at all, but it depends a lot on your requirements.

It’s probably the most well-known. I’ve also used this one with some success:

1 Like