Moving to Taiwan!

Hello everyone, my first post and I’m more than certain you’ve all been asked this question millions of times. My situation is a little more unique than most I’ve read so far and I’d love to hear first hand from people who are living their careers (or temporary lives) in Taiwan. So!

I’m Canadian born and my girlfriend is Taiwanese (lived with me in Canada for almost 2 years now) and we’re looking to return to Taiwan for a while just to enjoy/live there… We have a place to stay for free and I’m looking for teaching work. I currently only have 2 years university and no other certification other than working a few jobs. I’m not looking to get into the mainline industry or chain schools but something that is minor with a few hours that could possibly lead on to something.

My main attribute I’m getting at is… Would there be any possibility at all of getting a job teaching at buxiban or anything just to earn a few dollars to just enjoy the country again (I lived there in the month of august of 2010…wow its warm). Absolutely wonderful place with a lot of amazing people I met.

Thank you all in advanced and please keep it minimal on flaming :fume: or just plain spam, I know having a degree is absolutely primary but I’m seeking information not requiring a degree or other certifications! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME and best wishes to all in your decisions! :pray: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 years equals an Associate’s Degree, yeah? In which case you need to get some kind of TEFL certification for legal sticky ball chucking. Otherwise it’s kindy, mate. Or, if you don’t want information about other qualifications then you could get married for open work rights.

TEFL/TESOL courses only take a month, btw.

[quote=“tomthorne”]2 years equals an Associate’s Degree, yeah? In which case you need to get some kind of TEFL certification for legal sticky ball chucking. Otherwise it’s kindy, mate.

TEFL/TESOL courses only take a month, btw.[/quote]
I think he’s only finished two years of a four-year degree.

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“tomthorne”]2 years equals an Associate’s Degree, yeah? In which case you need to get some kind of TEFL certification for legal sticky ball chucking. Otherwise it’s kindy, mate.

TEFL/TESOL courses only take a month, btw.[/quote]
I think he’s only finished two years of a four-year degree.[/quote]

To be honest, I’ve never really been sure what Associate’s Degrees really are. Is it 3 years of a 4 year degree, then? I just assumed that the Associate’s Degree + TEFL cert. was a way the chain schools/MOE had devised of increasing the labour pool in Taiwan.

It’s highly unlikely you’ll get a job. Not a sponsored one anyway. The sad truth is you are looking at visa runs. Havge you thought about marrying your gal and getting a JFRV? That would be the best way to accomplish your goals.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies!

We’re in common-law relationship in Canada as we had applied in September 2011, and this summer we are supposed to get the papers and final confirmation… Marriage is what she suggested to that would make a big difference.

I thought about just doing private lessons for people for cheaper price around the area i’ll be staying in until I can get something, I also thought about getting the TESL certificate which isn’t very long either as suggested above. Thanks again all.