MRI cost in Taiwan?

Learned the hard way, it’s either a private room or nothing, particularly for anything elective. Was scheduled for surgery last summer however when it came time to check in to the hospital they had no single rooms left, decided to walk as no matter how bad I felt before hand i knew I’d feel a hell of a lot worse after surgery with a gang of mouth breeders in the room.

Incidentally turned out to be the right decision for the wrong reasons, went to another hospital and found a great doctor who advised against surgery and fixed the issue with the correct meds and time.

1 Like

Private room all the way, forget about the double! That’s a lottery I don’t want to take part in.

You don’t always need a caretaker, depends on what you’re in for.

Compared to China MRI seems really expensive in Taiwan - I’ve read a couple of articles about it for Europe. Health Insurances pay about 100€ to the hospital in Austria, but the real cost is like 160-170€ - they get the difference by charging private customers 400-500€… (so if you’re private - go somewhere where they only do private patients and get a fair price)…

In China however the go much cheaper - 400-500 yuan for an MRI. Don’t understand how they can do it so cheap. That’s the cost without insurance…

CTs are even more extreme. Can get it for 60-80 yuan in China - while it’s way more every else I know. Well they even have mobile CTs in China - and used them everywhere during Covid19. Not sure how safe they are / quality compared to CTI in the rest of the world. Maybe they are very basic - like 8-10 x-rays stitched together in computer instead of way more…

There’s a whole range of different ct or mri machines now for different examinations. Mobile CT and MRI are no less accurate just not nice environments to work in.

Couldn’t pay me to receive “medical care” in China…

Anyone would know updated price for a MRI as part of a preventive health-check in Taipei?

I googled it, and it seems like health check that includes a full body MRI is 40,000nt? I don’t know if this is included in the nhi paid yearly health check.

Otherwise the Google search says MRI is covered by nhi if the doctor says you need it, but there’s a 1000nt copay, and the doctor has to tell you about the copay. I think it looks like this is if you get 2 or more MRI in a 28 day period or something.

I’m sorry I can’t be more clear because the Google search is not that clear and I do not know if the information is even up to date. Maybe someone with better google fu can tell me?

1 Like

those are also the numbers i know feom checking around. prices vary, but more or less within this ballpark.

For reference, a brain MRI+MRA at the Koo Foundation Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center is $25,000.

https://www.kfsyscc.org/m/health_examination_price_copy1

2 Likes