MS Vista

I beg your definition, if you please.

(oh, and btw, what do i have to do to get my friggin’ fonts back? These slashes are so uncouth.)

You shall be richly rewarded.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]What’s wrong with Windows 2000? I’ll bet no-one even knows the difference between it and XP.[/quote]I know w2k is more expensive than XP. :wink: What does that tell you?

When w2k becomes unusable due to there being no hardware or drivers to support it, I’ll migrate to Linux. No more M$ bull$hit for me.[/quote]

Your independence is admirable.

[quote=“bobl”][quote]Basically they just took the code with them, forced it to interact with DOS, gave the GUI the traditional Windows look, and NT was born. M$'s best-ever product wasn’t even a result of their own work.
[/quote]

Has MS ever done anything original?
Can’t think of anything they haven’t stolen out right or bought from someone else.[/quote]

Think Gates, then think gates. Think Jobs, then think jobs. You have your answer. By the way, this also explains why You are the person of the year, not “you”.

What really happened: Jobs showed Gates his invention. Gates pulled a gun, and said “I will let you leave alive if you give me half.” Both have strong work ethics, both needed one another. Jobs said "I’ll slave for you, you’ll take from me until I have enough money to get my own company. Then we’ll compete on an even playing field.
Jobs likes praise. Gates like $$$. The formula works.

This is the only MS option for me (at home)…

chinaeconomicreview.com/subs … /8507.html

Pirated Windows Vista sold in China
31 January 2007
Even as Microsoft’s long anticipated operating system, Windows Vista, was launched for home users around the world yesterday, Chinese software pirates were hawking copies on the streets, AFP reported. Counterfeit copies were being sold for US$1.30 each, complete with Microsoft Office and anti-virus software, on the same day of the launch. The pirated Vista was labeled “the official version of the new generation operating system” and came with an identification code to download the software. Sellers said pirated copies of Vista had been available for several weeks before the launch.

You get what you pay for?
:idunno:

I run and manage multiple systems and do not see the need to upgrade.

• I have multiple Dell servers in my company which are about 5 years old and run Win2k very happily and these servers chug away all day, everyday and do what they are intended to do well. They ain’t broke so i’m not fixing them.

• I also run a few standalone 2k boxes which have scripts on them and again they just chug away all day doing their own thing. They ain’t broke either but their hard drives are getting close to full and that is an easy fix. I could easily replace these boxes with Linux based installs but i don’t have the time to go searching for and configuring the correct Linux app that will do what is currently being done on these boxes.

• I also run a few Ubuntu machines (including my laptop). These are a joy to use and upgrades are simple, free, are not scary to do and do not involve formatting the drive and do not involve executing a separate conversion program. Plus, these are free and also come with a very fine office program. Even more, i am more comfortable with the security aspects of these boxes compared to the Windows boxes.

• I also run a separate XP Pro box and this has WAMP on it for testing purposes. This machine is also doubled up, ie a mirror exists, with the same configuration for development purposes. TRhe only reason i have XP pro on these is that i like to test our PHP stuff on WAMP boxes - but we primarily use Linux based boxes for our actual web hosting.

• I’ve already mentioned my laptop whihc is a Fujitsu powerbook and it runs Ubuntu great and i have no complaints what so ever. I do have XP Pro also installed as a dual boot but the only reason i’ve got this is that my Golf game does not work on Ubuntu and my USB HD television deveice does not work under Ubuntu either. If both these worked then i would not need XP on my laptop (which is my primary machine).

NOTE - I should point out that this is for my own personal company and not for my actual real job.

So why should i upgrade? I’ve got more computing power resources compared to the average Joe and i am using those resources in an efficient manner. I simply do not see the need to upgrade as my personal and professional needs are easily met with older systems and with competing OSes.

I dare say that the majority of people in the world do not really need to upgrade as well. What was that quote from about a decade ago - “about 80% of the worlds computer users are only using about 20% of the capability of their machines”.

This probably still holds true.

My thoughts.

g

I have Vista because… I have to plan new hardware for my company, and Vista is a platform where I have to test everything (but also have 2 extra WixXP around me)…

I do propose that those who upgrade to Vista are those who are compelled to do so, taking into consideration what has been proposed so far herein. They may have a personal compunction to modernize, “join in,” or even improve the aesthetics of their digital life within in the Microsoft environment. They may be compelled to do so as a necessary component to upgrades from above such that they may be given their daily bread. Certainly, they do so because maybe they did not have the resources, technological ability or the creative zest to do it themselves and tire of the environment they have.
The programmers did after all spend US$6 billion on this system. We may take it or leave it now early in the game, but soon we’ll want it for it’s looks and if it will be able to work well with our other devices and peripherals. Is it not so that Linux and other computing languages and systems shall continue to have a place and give value though they may be not be our primary breadwinners?
Vista is a platform. Yes, we still see through the confines of windows, but it now allows us to do away with the shades or the blinds of our 2000 Windows and see a new technological horizon.

as long as it’s stable~~ XP has been the first windows os that’s been stable for me since 3.1

Well, since I’m sitting here since 25 minutes watching a windows “Copying… - 3 minutes remaining”, a question to all MS Vista users:

Did MS after 20 years programming and I-don’t-know-how-many operation system versions finally worked it out how to properly estimate roughly correct copying times???

[quote=“Shiner”]Well, since I’m sitting here since 25 minutes watching a windows “Copying… - 3 minutes remaining”, a question to all MS Vista users:

Did MS after 20 years programming and I-don’t-know-how-many operation system versions finally worked it out how to properly estimate roughly correct copying times???[/quote]No. Now it says it will take 25 minutes and does it in 3. For a file that should take 1 minute.

Before upgrading to Vista … read following flow-chart

“Who fixes the computer when it breaks?” “Neighbor kid or relative”, so true it ain’t funny :stinkyface:

Iranians seem to have cracked the final version of vista already so the last part of that flow chart has become redundant now :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Any thoughts on this?

[quote]Peter Guttman, the University of Auckland Computer Science researcher, who has created a global storm over claims Microsoft’s Vista is seriously compromised by digital rights management software…
…However, Guttman also warned IT managers to be wary about installing Vista onto mission critical machines. “I would be nervous,” he confirmed. “It is possible that it will work just fine, but because this software is so deeply hidden, you just can’t say.” . . . [/quote]
m-net.net.nz/latest-news/latest- … claims.php[/quote]

from Bruce Schneier
[b]DRM in Windows Vista
"Windows Vista includes an array of “features” that you don’t want. These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure. They’ll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will cause technical support problems. They may even require you to upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software. And these features won’t do anything useful. In fact, they’re working against you. They’re digital rights management (DRM) features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment industry.

And you don’t get to refuse them."[/b]

Soon they’ll ask us to tattoo numbers on our wrists.

[quote=“Groo”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Any thoughts on this?

[quote]Peter Guttman, the University of Auckland Computer Science researcher, who has created a global storm over claims Microsoft’s Vista is seriously compromised by digital rights management software…
…However, Guttman also warned IT managers to be wary about installing Vista onto mission critical machines. “I would be nervous,” he confirmed. “It is possible that it will work just fine, but because this software is so deeply hidden, you just can’t say.” . . . [/quote]
m-net.net.nz/latest-news/latest- … claims.php[/quote]

from Bruce Schneier
[b]DRM in Windows Vista
"Windows Vista includes an array of “features” that you don’t want. These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure. They’ll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will cause technical support problems. They may even require you to upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software. And these features won’t do anything useful. In fact, they’re working against you. They’re digital rights management (DRM) features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment industry.

And you don’t get to refuse them."[/b]

Soon they’ll ask us to tattoo numbers on our wrists.[/quote]

This was written a few years back “The Digital Imprimatur: How big brother and big media can put the Internet genie back in the bottle” a long but scary look into what the future may hold.

[quote] Earlier I believed there was no way to put the Internet genie back into the bottle. In this document I will provide a road map of precisely how I believe that could be done, potentially setting the stage for an authoritarian political and intellectual dark age global in scope and self-perpetuating, a disempowerment of the individual which extinguishes the very innovation and diversity of thought which have brought down so many tyrannies in the past.
[/quote]

fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/

And much of it can be seen in Vista.

Well. Winders Vista is on my computer now. It installed easily in less time than I though. It took me longer to figure out how to format my new drive under XP. (I have a RAID so I had to set it up as a JOBOD raid and then try and figure out how to format that (right click on ‘my computer’, select manage, then 4 more steps)). Seems nice so far. Fast and purdy. I got a 4.8 on the brag-o-meeter. I would get 4.9 with more memory (I got 2gig!) and the AMD64 4200+ only gives a 4.9.

I got it at the computer market (gong whan) at a random store, they all seem to have it now.
They did not have English in stock but they have had and will have again (they say). They got me English Home Premium in 2 days.
Cost (delivered to my home in Chiayi) under $5000.