MS Word giving me shit again

I’m rewriting my resume, and am a bit miffed that the dancing paperclip doesn’t like the following sentence.

Do I believe Microsoft, or these guys?

I can’t really have some HR manager who doesn’t have perfect English opening it up and seeing green lines on my marketing copy, so what do I do?

Write shorter sentences? Works for me.

Kill the first ‘and’.

lose the first comma and it should be OK.

It’s probably becuase this is an incomplete sentence. If it were “I have worked…” you’d likely be fine (although of course that isn’t what you want for a resume).
What if you made this a bulleted list (I assume there are other points in parallel to it) and changed them to noun phrases – “Extensive work at high schools and with university students…”

Just an idea.

grrr.

I know why it’s doing it. I just want it to recognise that I know best and it shouldn’t tell some uninformed person that I don’t.

I did it IL’s way and changed all the formatting.

Thanks, Bill. Now it’s two pages instead of one. Learn to write English and get a proper fucking haircut, you bastard.

I get green underlines from MS Word a lot, for perfectly good sentences. This of course leads to sime non-native speakers of English thinking that something is wrong with the sentence, and I have to explain that MS Word’s grammar check is often wrong.

It likes to underline “key” in “This was key in my decision to…” or “a sensitivity” in “She has a sensitivity for artistic form”.

Alternative plan:

Do it my way and then make a pdf of it!

No green lines that way.

You can keep it as a word document but get rid of the green line by going to spelling/grammar on the tools menu and telling it to ignore the rule. Behold, the green line is gone. Mr Gates is silenced.

I have considered many sick, cruel, and twisted ways to kill the dancing smiling paperclip. :smiling_imp:

Get a Mac?

Thanks, and I hate to argue with a newbie, but…

My carefully crafted piece of marketing copy is going to land on the screen of someone who thinks they need an English teacher, probably for their company. He/she is unlikely to have turned Bill’s text-bollockser off, and so will see the green anyway.

Until I’m all proof-read and pdf’d, I’m attaching the following line at the bottom:

Note: I know better than MS Word. Please ignore any red or green lines appearing on this document!

[quote=“tmwc”]My carefully crafted piece of marketing copy is going to land on the screen of someone who thinks they need an English teacher, probably for their company. He/she is unlikely to have turned Bill’s text-bollockser off, and so will see the green anyway.[/quote]Is that the way it works? I thought that the default viewing settings for documents were the ones applied at the same it was saved. For example, I sent a document to someone with the “show markup” option selected so there were a bunch of red lines and text boxes pointing out where I’d edited stuff. When she viewed it, the markup option was still on.