Multi messaging app that supports Line

Does anyone know of a multi-messaging app that supports Line along with the other major messaging apps? (I’m mainly looking for something which combines Line, WeChat, FB, Whatsapp, Skype, and maybe Signal if possible)

2 Likes

There are none.

4 Likes

I’ve never found one.

1 Like

I suspected as much, but had held out hope…until now.

Their protocol is proprietary.

There can be a small workaround. Make a Line business account
https://account.line.biz/login

Make a bot and invite into a group chat.

Every time a message is send in the group it will fire a webhook with the message data. You need to have a server or use a service to handle the webhook.

Sending messages is limited to 500 messages per month for free. So you might hit the limit pretty fast sending messages with the bot.

2 Likes

It’s possible to set up a line bridge in matrix but I haven’t tried fair/matrix-puppeteer-line: A very hacky Matrix-LINE bridge based on running LINE's Chrome extension in Puppeteer. - matrix-puppeteer-line - Miscworks Source
There are bridges for other messengers like whatsapp too, so you can consolidate everything there
But I find these things too annoying and cumbersome to set up so I just put it all on a crappy old phone and check it once a week

1 Like

That’s a bit beyond my skill level and also way beyond my motivation. Thanks though.

Looks like I’ll have to invite a random bot into our office Line group :rofl:

It is not random if you make the bot.

And there are also official bots.

1 Like

Pidgin broke the line plug in recently and put out the following statement

2 Likes

Yes, they protect their messaging access aggressively.

One must use the official way with bots and pay the monthly plan. :moneybag:
Or use the official messenger and accept the ads.

Not possible to block the ads too, they use the same domain serving those as their general API.

LINE just send out price increases for their Line messages API and cut down free tier from 500 monthly messages to 200.

Effective from September 1, 2023

Old plan

Recently they also changed the ad in the message list, so that you can not hide it for some time. It is permanently displayed. Line messenger gets worse…

2 Likes

Line is by far the worst messaging app I have used (won’t count wechat as that is gov spyware, which is bloated too anyway and I don’t enjoy using it).

1 Like

I also don’t understand how Taiwanese can like Line. Compared to whatsapp, which in my experience is super smooth, line feels like it is developed by some high school teenager.

1 Like

It was “imported” from JP, tw folks love JP stuff. Still now it is the JP default messaging app.

Dunno how, it is also widespread in Thailand

1 Like

What I hate the most about Line is how they compress any picture you send through it to worst possible quality, same with video. And the annoying ads.

Telegram messenger is much better, even their stickers tech is better.
point_cheburashka

I don’t touch anything that belongs to Meta

understable.

I know some small businessses, that rely on Line app for all their communication and also for information storage. Employees share info, files, docs, pics, etc. and Line is like their main repository of information. Bizzaro.

I’ve also noticed some friends who always use Line, have recently started sending me messages on other apps :astonished:

1 Like