Music Tastes on Forumosa?

Yeah, the Muggy Buggin’ Rustlers, or something like that. I think they might all be journeyman cow pokes from Utah or something. How the heck did that lot ever get in here?!?

You have just outed yourself as being under the age of 20, my little friend! :wink:

Oh you just made my day! Yea I’m soon to be 20 :liar:

Still I’m a young 38 and happily so.

Cheers for that Dougster. Just looked at their webpage and they don’t have an address or a map on it (unless it is amongst all the Chinese on the bottom of the place which I don’t understand and should be in Chinese when I’ve selected Englih as the language). Where it is???

I listen to all sorts of music: funk, soul, indie. rock. I’ve been getting very retrospective lately, but I’m always on the look out for new sounds. I could be cynical and say that music went shit after the mid 90s, but I am open to new music from my fellow forumosas.

Yep. I agree. After the mid 90’s music went to pot, and now it’s really bad because of all these Idol Factor or X Pop shows you get on TV these days that dish out the worst possible combination of manufactured sounds, dance routines and haircuts imaginable - and people lap it up. Millions of folks in their drones stay up past 7pm to watch this load of compost.
Am I one of the only people who thinks this? Am I turning into my Dad with all the phrases I come out with, like “music isn’t what it was like when I was young. Bands had real musicians and played their instruments on stage, live, without miming.?”
Well, the answer is no. I am not turning into my Dad.
Because the father I know and love, who grew up on The Who and Hendrix, now watches fucking Pop Factor and X Idol, along with my mother AND my Nan, who grew up on ragtime jazz and war rations.

I like pretty much anything. From the Zydeco grooves of Boozoo Chavis to the fusion of the Grateful Dead to the mysticism of Ofra Haza to the ye-ye/multi-genres of Serge Gainsbourg. :thumbsup:

I’m still waiting for that book by Gainsbourg that you lent to “you-know-who”. Does he still have it?

For me, If not trying to discover something, SomaFM particularly Groove Salad does the trick most of the time if I’m not actively listening. I’ve got thousands of CDs that don’t get played unless I need a particular song for a particular use.

Wow! And I thought I had esoteric tastes.

I listen to Neil Young and Leonard Cohen. That’s why I’m such a self-critical, introspective dick.

Oh, and I like gay pop, like Husker Du.

Yep. I agree. After the mid 90’s music went to pot, and now it’s really bad because of all these Idol Factor or X Pop shows you get on TV these days that dish out the worst possible combination of manufactured sounds, dance routines and haircuts imaginable - and people lap it up. Millions of folks in their drones stay up past 7pm to watch this load of compost.
Am I one of the only people who thinks this? Am I turning into my Dad with all the phrases I come out with, like “music isn’t what it was like when I was young. Bands had real musicians and played their instruments on stage, live, without miming.?”
Because the father I know and love, who grew up on The Who and Hendrix, now watches fucking Pop Factor and X Idol, along with my mother AND my Nan, who grew up on ragtime jazz and war rations.[/quote]

Don’t confuse music with light entertainment! I think Xpoop et al are fun to watch but, maybe not for the intended reasons. It does seem a shame that mainstream music has turned into glorified karaoke. My memory of pop music from my childhood was bands like Madness, Simple Minds, Level 42 and so on. BUT I have to ask myself is it nostalgia that makes me think that somehow the music was superior to todays drivel?

I’m still waiting for that book by Gainsbourg that you lent to “you-know-who”. Does he still have it?[/quote]

Nope. He gave it back. I should have given it to him considering all the books/CDs he gave me. Always will be indebted to him. To answer your question, it’s gathering dust in Taipei. I was piss drunk my whole last week in Taipei in 2008 and out on the town with friends every night. Wife did all the packing. All my favorite hardcovers/books from 7 years in Taipei (over 200) are gathering dust at my brother-in-law’s place.

Great book though:

amazon.com/Serge-Gainsbourg- … 0306811839

I’m listening to The Cure, Joy Division, Sonic Youth and The Pogues this morning. As if anyone cares.

I knew you liked Sugar. :laughing:

I’m still waiting for that book by Gainsbourg that you lent to “you-know-who”. Does he still have it?[/quote]

Nope. He gave it back. I should have given it to him considering all the books/CDs he gave me. Always will be indebted to him. To answer your question, it’s gathering dust in Taipei. I was piss drunk my whole last week in Taipei in 2008 and out on the town with friends every night. Wife did all the packing. All my favorite hardcovers/books from 7 years in Taipei (over 200) are gathering dust at my brother-in-law’s place.

Great book though:

amazon.com/Serge-Gainsbourg- … 0306811839[/quote]

I offer to go over there and ship some of the stuff to you (minus what I want). :laughing:

Because the father I know and love, who grew up on The Who and Hendrix, now watches fucking Pop Factor and X Idol, along with my mother AND my Nan, who grew up on ragtime jazz and war rations.[/quote]

It’s a bit of a myth though. Firstly, there’s still good stuff out there. It’s just that those guys are largely marketing themselves using the internet and word of mouth to do so. Previously, they might have had to cede creative control to some extent, but they might have had greater exposure. Now they’re willing to go with much lower exposure but greater creative control. There’s good stuff out there though.

Secondly, there’s one of those six part TV series from the BBC where they get a whole lot of minor celebrities to wax poetic on a broad theme. This one is about why the 60s sucked, or something along those lines (I can’t remember the exact title and I can’t find it). They go into the architecture, yadda, yadda. Anyway, right at the end of the last episode, they talk about the music, as though no one could possibly dispute that people in the 60s listened to good music. The best selling song of the 60s (in the UK) was not something by the Beatles, Hendrix, The Who, Cream, etc. It was some elevator shit by someone like Englebert Humperdinck. On both sides of the Atlantic, wave after wave after wave of manufactured boy and girl bands were produced during the 60s, 70s and 80s. Also, remember Stock, Aiken and Waterman? They were the high watermark of pumping out popular shit and what exists now pales by comparison.

Somebody needs a little of this:

jp, When I read your intro I thought you were going to post something by Everclear. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great book though:

amazon.com/Serge-Gainsbourg- … 0306811839[/quote]

I offer to go over there and ship some of the stuff to you (minus what I want). :laughing:[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: I’ll end up with an empty box.

Everclear? Are you drunk? I’m listening to Waterboys and Einsturzende Neubauten now. When I tire of that, I shall resort to Billy Joel, Boston and Fleetwood Mac.