Music Tastes on Forumosa?

I’m curious what music people on this forum like (I’m guessing its varied)?
Or if you know any local bands that you think are worth checking out?
Good record shops (hard to imagine in this iPod era)?

Maybe I should put what I’m currently listening to? :ponder:
Com Truise, Madvillian, Tycho, BoC, Friendly Fires, The Black Ghosts, AM & Shawn Lee, Monsters at Work, Bonobo, Electric Wire Hustle…

I don’t listen to a lot of music now, what with baby and all – mostly I spend what scant free time I have practicing my classical guitar instead. This is what I’m feebly attempting to play now: Giorgio Mainerio, Schiarazula Marazula; Guillaume Morlaye, Gaillarde; Ferdinand Carulli, Arpeggi; Matteo Carcassi, Valse opus 59; Niccolo Paganini, Valtz; Anyonyme, Maro Pontkalleg; Turlough O’Carolan, Brian Boru’s March; Francis Cutting, Packington’s Pound; Fernando Sor, Gaspar Sanz, and so on. And of course I have to run through Malagueña once or twice a day too, the Spanish sound being dearest to my heart.

When I do listen to CD’s, it’s everything from classical guitar (Segovia, Williams etc.) to other classical music, and a very eclectic mix: Celtic, alternative, world music, folk, bluegrass, blues, jazz, Springsteen, Sugar Cubes, REM, Tracy Chapman, Suzanne Vega, Muddy Basin Ramblers, Grateful Dead, folksy Taiwanese stuff, you name it.

Just not MJ, Madonna, Lady GagMe, Europop crap, rap etc.

Thanks! can you recommend some good Spanish classical guitar music that I could listen to? Or is the list above a good starting point

[quote=“Steviebike”]I’m curious what music people on this forum like (I’m guessing its varied)?
Or if you know any local bands that you think are worth checking out? [/quote]
Hi, Steviebike,

Check out the FAQ thread at the top of this forum: [url]Faq - check here first

You’ll find a “Forumosans are listening to …”, as well as an “Interested in Asian Music?” section that might interest you.

I like what I’m hearing so far SB

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I don’t listen to a lot of music now, what with baby and all – mostly I spend what scant free time I have practicing my classical guitar instead. This is what I’m feebly attempting to play now: Giorgio Mainerio, Schiarazula Marazula; Guillaume Morlaye, Gaillarde; Ferdinand Carulli, Arpeggi; Matteo Carcassi, Valse opus 59; Niccolo Paganini, Valtz; Anyonyme, Maro Pontkalleg; Turlough O’Carolan, Brian Boru’s March; Francis Cutting, Packington’s Pound; Fernando Sor, Gaspar Sanz, and so on. And of course I have to run through Malagueña once or twice a day too, the Spanish sound being dearest to my heart.

When I do listen to CD’s, it’s everything from classical guitar (Segovia, Williams etc.) to other classical music, and a very eclectic mix: Celtic, alternative, world music, folk, bluegrass, blues, jazz, Springsteen, Sugar Cubes, REM, Tracy Chapman, Suzanne Vega, Muddy Basin Ramblers, Grateful Dead, folksy Taiwanese stuff, you name it.

Just not MJ, Madonna, Lady GagMe, Europop crap, rap etc.[/quote]

What’s wrong with MJ and Madonna?

Hard rock and good old metal. If anyone’s got any gig/club/pub whatever info to share on where I can find some I’d be delighted.
Range from Alice Cooper, ACDC, Dimmu Borgil, Wasp, Judas Priest, Death Angel, Krokus… you name it, I probably listen to it. Oh but not really interested in the kiddy metal or emo.

Get yourself down to Roxy Rocker. If the DJ doesn’t play your music on the dance floor section, you can ask the DJ in the the other room, where they have loads of vinyl.

Spice Girls, Steps, Boyzone and Westlife.
Although they are a bit too heavy for me, I sometimes listen to Fleetwood Mac. Aren’t they from Redruth?

I record Super Hans as he sings along to his iPod.

Then I listen to that recording. :neutral:

[quote=“Super Hans”]Spice Girls, Steps, Boyzone and Westlife.
Although they are a bit too heavy for me, I sometimes listen to Fleetwood Mac. Aren’t they from Redruth?[/quote]
Fleetwood Mac wrote the birdy song and remixed jive bunny in Redruth but, they mostly perform at Goon Gumpas.

If you’re buying CD’s, you can’t go wrong with John Williams, Christopher Parkening, Andres Segovia, Julia Bream or David Russell, for starters. Here are some I have:
John Williams: El diablo suelto :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John Williams: Echoes of Spain…Albeniz :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: or Spanish Guitar Favorites, or Christopher Parkening In the Spanish Style
Williams: From the Jungles of Paraguay (Barrios) or Williams The Great Paraguayan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Julian Bream: Baroque Guitar 0r John Williams The Baroque Album
Karin Schaupp: Dreams
Andres Segovia: The Segovia Collection, 5 CDs

Here are some on my shopping list that I’ve not heard yet:
John Williams: Bach Lute Suites (highly recommended)
Parkening: The Great Recordings
David Russell: Sonidos Latinos or Aire Latino
Victor Villadangos: Argentinian music (2 volumes on Naxos).
Baden Powell: Rio de Valsas
Yoshiaki Kamata: Libra Sonatine
Progretto Avanti: Baroque Illusions, and Orchestral Illusions
Steven Novacek: SOR Guitar Music on Naxos
Julian Bream - Spanish Guitar Recital

A good place for recommendations is the Delcamp classical guitar forum, with relevant threads here:
delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=861
delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34861
delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43321
delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60129&start=0
delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49130

What’s wrong with MJ and Madonna?[/quote]

MJ’s dead, for starters. Even before that, I’m pretty sure there was something wrong with him. :whistle:

(Seriously, though, the question was what are my personal musical tastes, not what is “wrong” with the ones I don’t like. If you like MJ, great! :idunno:)

Thank you DB. Have added this to my list in Evernote :thumbsup:
I’m lucky enough to have a spotify account and can listen to most of the choices on there.
I really like classical spanish guitar but didn’t know any names.
I know jazz well enough and occasionally there is some cross over, Al Di Meola is pretty good and worth a listen, Orange and Blue is a pleasant album.

Of late, I’ve been listening a lot to ACDC, Jamiroquai, Stevie Wonder, Amy Winehouse, Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Black Sabbath, Ozric Tentacles and various classical pieces.

I listen to whatever Jimipresley is posting on facebook that day.

There used to be a lot of people on here who were into crazy stuff like jug band music…No idea what’s wrong with that lot.

Oh, and that Jerry Garcia guy, too. :tic:

:laughing:

Oh, and that Jerry Garcia guy, too. :tic:

:laughing:[/quote]

I think Ben & Jerry make an ice-cream called Cherry Garcia :rainbow:

Jug band revival band? That sort of thing?

[/quote][quote=“Steviebike”]Jug band revival band? That sort of thing?[/quote]

Yeah, the Muggy Buggin’ Rustlers, or something like that. I think they might all be journeyman cow pokes from Utah or something. How the heck did that lot ever get in here?!?

You have just outed yourself as being under the age of 20, my little friend! :wink: