Must pay money to view apartment for rent? Is this normal?

A housing company listed an apartment for rent online which had really great pictures. I called the company to schedule a time to see it. They said I would need to pay 2000 NT upfront (nonrefundable) just to view the apartment. That, IMHO, is crazy! Is it legal for them to do that? Is this normal practice?

Crazy, not done … but they can ask what they want, nothing illegal there … but who’s a big fool enough to pay that?

It’s not unheard of for companies erm scam artists to try. Avoid like the plague

Exactly! It is a big shame because the place looks great and the price is very reasonable.
They said the fee is reasonable because they don’t charge any agent fees. Some agents charge one or two month’s rent if you rent through them. I asked, “what happens if i don’t rent through you?” They said that is impossible because they are sure i would find a place suitable to my needs through them.

Still crazy.

Of course it’s legal - they’re entitled to ask money for their services - but it’s certainly not normal. You could understand an agent asking a few hundred NT$ to cover their costs (it’s not cheap to send an agent out to view a property), and it would actually make more sense than charging a fee on contract signing, but $2000 is excessive. Don’t play along.

If you want to pay and have some assurance, pay Tsui Mama, tmm.org.tw , a few hundred and far more reliable.

I wish there was some way to find out who the owners are (of the apartment), and try to rent from them directly :frowning:

Why not just walk around the area you’re interested in and look for “for rent” signs in the window or stuck to the lampposts? There are usually quite a few.

There are also lots of websites offering rentals, and although some of the listings are from agents, they will at least be on standard terms.

tmm.org is up for sale :p… tmm.org.tw is functional :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t consider it a scam but they want only to work with people that are serious about renting from them. Charging 2K gets rid of the tire kickers and makes it really likely that you’ll look at the rest of the apts that they have for rent. And that is where the big money is for them (from the owner).

tmm.org is up for sale :p… tmm.org.tw is functional :slight_smile:[/quote]

Paisei. Corrected.

Let it go, my friend. Those scam artists are usually well into the mafia, and it could get nasty. This one is not for you, trust me, there is a better place out there with your name on it.

Did a search on the company name. It is a bait and switch scam. Others have posted complaints on blogs and such about this particular company. They lure you in with great pictures, take your $2000 NT and then tell you that particular apartment is no longer available, then proceed to show you garbage apartments. Thanks for the heads up and advice!

Exactly! It is a big shame because the place looks great and the price is very reasonable.
They said the fee is reasonable because they don’t charge any agent fees. Some agents charge one or two month’s rent if you rent through them. I asked, “what happens if I don’t rent through you?” They said that is impossible because they are sure I would find a place suitable to my needs through them.

Still crazy.[/quote]

Total utter lie.

Agents charge HALF 1 month’s rent…and guess when you pay? WHEN YOU SIGN THE LEASE! Not a minute before.

This is a scam artist, plain and simple.