Must you retire after 65?

Does anyone know what the law is regarding retirement age. Can a company tell you that you have to retire once you are past 65 because “that is the law?”

The LSA has a mandatory retirement age of 65. An employee may continue to work beyond that age by agreement with the employer.

So, what you’re sayin’ is, you can’t work somewhere unless an employer is willing to offer you a job that you are willing to accept? :ponder:

1 Like

Actually, as I have since learned, it is not totally mandatory. The way it works is that after you turn 65, if the company wants you to retire, then you must retire. If the company is happy to have you keep on working, however, then you don’t have to retire. I have worked for several years beyond 65 because the company wanted to keep me on. I have to retire now, because the company wants it that way.

Assuming one can find another job, can one just get another job instead?

Yup.

You don’t have to retire at 65, but the Labor Standards Act does allow an employer to force retirement from their company. It’s a bit like closing time at a bar when they say: “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”

[quote]Article 54
An employer shall not force a worker to retire unless either of the following situations has occurred:

1. Where the worker attains the age of sixty-five.
  2. Where the worker is unable to perform his duties due to mental handicap or physical disability.
    A business entity may request the central competent authority to adjust the age prescribed in Item 1 of the preceding paragraph if the specific job entails risk, requires substantial physical strength or otherwise of a special nature; provided, however, that the age shall not be reduced below fifty-five.[/quote]

That is the saddest thing I’ve ever heard. :cry:

You know, they say you can never go home.

My parents say that . . . well, . . . them and their lawyer. . . (old joke)

Thats true at 15 or 40 or 65. Why is it sad that people can be forced to retire? Generally by then most people have had 40 years of employment.

Of course if you want to work past 65 it’s easy to do so if you have your own company.

I was talkin’ about closing time at the bar. :neutral:

I guess losin’ your job could be sad, too.

[quote=“Eiger John”]You don’t have to retire at 65, but the Labor Standards Act does allow an employer to force retirement from their company. It’s a bit like closing time at a bar when they say: “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”

[quote]Article 54
An employer shall not force a worker to retire unless either of the following situations has occurred:

1. Where the worker attains the age of sixty-five…[/quote][/quote]
    Hmmm – isn’t that what I just wrote a couple of messages above?

RJF – I thought you had characterized it very well. :slight_smile: I just thought it would be useful to provide the legal basis from out of the Labor Standards Act.