MVDIS website - check for traffic violations

Hey everyone, anybody familiar with the MVDIS website where you can check for your outstanding traffic violations? I thought that it is weird that I haven’t received any tickets in the mail in over 4 years, so I logged on to see if I have anything for me. When I enter my info, the website just says “No Data!” does that mean I have no violations. Seems impossible to me.

MVDIS2

2 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

It means you have none recorded in the system as of yet! Is your vehicle registered to your current ARC number?

What an angry website.

2 Likes

Yes, or it could mean that you didn’t update your ARC number on your vehicles registration

I’m actually really glad u asked that because I’ve been meaning to and forgetting to for ages now :smiley:

good news that is

I think it is exciting. Checking is like rolling the dice and usually the answer comes back…

YOU win!

Except just now, the site crashed and I can’t reload it

4 Likes

Honestly I can’t believe that in ALL the time I’ve been here I’ve somehow only got ticketed for left turning like a normal human. Somehow not a single speeding camera ticket? I just don’t get it.

Can still use what I think is the Chinese version of the site, which is unsurprisingly much more polished.

https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv-vil/vil/penaltyQueryPay#anchor&gsc.tab=0

HOWEVER

if ur looking to check how many points you have or anything the Chinese site also has a section for that:

Remember: you’re not a cool kid unless you’re getting in trouble for left turning without the box :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

at any rate the site here: 監理服務網 - 駕駛人記點

3 Likes

also I think u have to pay any fines before renewal of liscense or of re-registration of the bike so if u really had a problem at some point you probably woulda come across it?

1 Like

I am not sure this is everywhere, but here in Nantou they open the Motor Vehicle Office only during the week from 8am-5pm. So people with a job don’t have a chance contesting their tickets unless they take a day off to go there.

1 Like

Yeah fairly confident that’s correct. Like Banks. Have something to do? Better take the day off, bitch, because we close at like 2PM!

1 Like

We’re not supposed to encourage illegal behaviour on the forum, but I’m sure this is sarcasm.

Myself, I sometimes find the two step turn a safer option, even at intersections where it isn’t required. There are other intersections, though, where it isn’t necessary or perhapsis even more dangerous and in those places I might be inclined to use personal judgement…

1 Like

53 posts were split to a new topic: From MVDIS website

You’re not trying hard enough!

1 Like

Well I certainly shouldn’t have thought about doing 130 on the blue 14 this last weekend! Ofc I didn’t do that, that woulda been dumb.

(and if i did it i only did it just to check how fast the new bike could go, not to cruise there)

This happened to me. I changed my driving license and address at DMV. They left the car at the old address on my old ARC number. Old address got notices about fines and not paying fines.

Other countries also have the same rules, have outstanding tickets cannot re-register your vehicle.

Either it does not work or I do not have any points yet. I did get several tickets recently. One for speeding, and one for driving over a double white line. I checked both my old and new ARC number. So does speeding (<20km/h) and crossing double white lines not accumulate points?

ok… so the breakdown is as follows, as helpfully stated on the government site:

According to Article 63 of the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act:

1. Where any of the circumstances under Paragraph 1or 2 of Article 33, Paragraph 1 of Article 38, Article 40, Article 45, Sub-paragraphs 1 to 3 of Article 47, Article 48, Article 49, or Sub-paragraphs 1 or 2, Paragraph 2 of Article 60 applies, the driver will receive 1 penalty point.
  2. Where any of the circumstances under Sub-paragraphs 1 to 4, Paragraph 1 of Article 29, Paragraph 1 or 2 or 4 of Article 29-2 or Sub-paragraph 1 or 2, Paragraph 1 of Article 30 applies, the driver will receive 2 penalty points.
  3. Where any of the circumstances under Article 43, Article 53 or Article 53-1 applies, the driver will receive 3 penalty points.
  4. It won’t be penalty point, if the circumstances under the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act and has be suspended or revoked.
  5. If the same driver has received 6 or more penalty points for violations within 6 months, his/her driver’s license will be suspended for 1 month. If the driver has his/her driver’s license suspended twice within 1 year and has again received any penalty point, his/her driver’s license will be revoked.

Very nice how they just left us to go through a read for all of that shit.

So, here’s a breakdown, although it doesn’t really shorten the lang used in bill, just excludes the stuff that isn’t relevant. So, to answer your question @TaipeiGuy2000 , yes there are offenses which don’t result in a ticket, I think?

1 POINT OFFENSES: : kinda the painfully dumb ones around this bit.*

Art. 33: basic shit

• Par. 1: Should a car driver fail to follow relevant restrictions, prohibitions, traffic controls, or other regulatory matters on a freeway, a highway or a roadway with a control station and commit one of the following offenses, he/she shall be fined from NT$3,000 to NT$6,000:
  1. Driving speed exceeds the maximum or below the minimum speed limits.
  2. Failing to maintain a safe driving distance.
  3. Driving in lanes without following the instructions or related regulations.
  4. Changing lanes without following the instructions or related regulations.
  5. Allowing passengers not to sit in seats.
  6. Failing to use the car’s lights as required by regulations.
  7. Overtaking, U-turning, reversing, or driving in the wrong direction without following the regulations.
  8. Slowing down, temporarily parking, or parking where it is prohibited.
  9. Using road shoulder not following the regulations.
  10. Failing to follow the instructions made by safety equipment at a work zone.
  11. Failing to cover or tight loaded materials as required by regulations.
  12. Failing to follow signs, markings, or signals.
  13. Entering or driving on prohibited road sections.
  14. Repeatedly honking the car’s horn, flashing headlights, or using other methods to force the preceding vehicles to give way.
  15. Tossing goods or waste from a moving vehicle.
  16. The tire falls off a car, the tire rubber shreds, or any part of the car falls onto the road
  17. Tire tread depth is not in line with the regulation.

Par. 2: Overtaking as detailed in the above paragraph shall be done in the proper lane for overtaking. Should the driver fail to return to the original lane after overtaking where there is enough room to do so and thereby causing traffic congestion, he/she shall be fined from NT$6,000 to NT$12,000.

Art. 38: you’re telling me the train station isn’t a parking lot?

Par. 1: Any car driver without the permission to collect passengers and thereby impede the traffic in places such as railway and highway stations or other locations with heavy traffic shall be fined from NT$1,500 to NT$3,000. Should the car in question be a large commercial passenger car, 1 traffic violation shall be charged for that vehicle.

Art. 40: as if you’re gonna be going too slow

Any car driver who operates a car at a speed above the maximum or below the minimum speed limits shall be fined from NT$1,200 to NT$2,400 beside in the circumstances as detailed in Subparagraph 2, Paragraph 1, Article 43.

Art. 45: basic shit pt2

In the event of any of the following violations occur while attempting to overtake another vehicle, the driver of the car shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,800:

1. Driving while not following traffic directions.
  2. Driving side-by-side with other vehicles on a single-lane street.
  3. Driving on the opposite traffic lane.
  4. Failing to follow regulations when driving on a road with multiple lanes.
  5. Cutting into a moving traffic platoon.
  6. Driving on the sidewalk.
  7. Failing to yield the pre-entry vehicles when entering a circle without a signal control.
  8. Failing to yield to vehicles on the inner-lanes of a multiple lanes circle.
  9. Failing to yield the vehicles on the main street while entering from a feeder street, failing to yield the vehicles on the main street while entering from a street with fewer lanes, and failing to yield the vehicles from the right when both streets with the same number of lanes.
  10. Failing to yield to vehicles and pedestrians when beginning a drive.
  11. Hearing the sirens of fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, rescue vehicles, or emergency response vehicles for a toxic chemical substance disaster or accident and driving rapidly right after; or driving over fire hoses laying on roads during firefighting operations.
  12. Driving over a street edge or crossing over two lanes at once.
  13. Driving a motorcycle outside the designated lanes.
  14. Failing to yield or reduce speed while closing to the designated vehicles for carrying children or school buses.
  15. Failing to follow the traffic regulations or instructions made by signs and markings when entering intersections or alleys without signal control.
  16. Occupying bicycle lanes.
  17. Failing to pull over or closely following upon hearing or seeing mass rapid transit system vehicles closing as their alarms sound or warning lights flash.

Should a driver fail to pull over upon hearing the siren of a fire truck , ambulance , police car , rescue vehicle, or emergency response vehicles for a toxic chemical substance disaster or accident, the driver of the car shall be fined NT$3600, and the driver license shall be revoked.
In the situations of the preceding paragraph caused death or injury, the driver of the car shall be fined NT$6,000 to NT$90,000 and the driver’s license shall be revoked.

Art 47: Overtaking like an idiot

In the event of any of the followings while overtaking other vehicles, car drivers shall be fined from NT$1,200 to NT$2,400:

1. Overtaking other vehicles where there are signs indicate winding roads, steep slopes, narrow bridges, tunnels, crossroads, or roadways under construction.
  2. Overtaking other vehicles near school, hospital, or the road section with no crossing signs or markings; or there are oncoming traffic are crossing over; or overtaking more than two vehicles at one time.
  3. Overtaking vehicles from the right, failing to maintain proper distance while overtaking, or returning to the original lane before reaching a safe distance.
  4. Overtaking a vehicle that does not indicate willing to yield or moving to the side and slow down.
  5. Failing to yield or moving to the side and slow down when a following car indicates intention to overtake by honking its horn or flashing lights if there is no obstacles ahead and without a legitimate reason.

Art. 48: Turning With Your Eyes

In the event of any of the following occurs while making a turn or changing lanes, car drivers shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,800:

1. Failing to look out for crossing pedestrians prior to making a turn or change lanes, or failing to slow down prior to make turn.
  2. Failing to follow the directions instructed by signs, markings, and signals.
  3. Using the opposite lanes to make left turn before reaching the center of an intersection.
  4. Making a right turn on a multiple lanes street without using the outer lanes, or making a left turn on said road without using the inner lanes.
  5. Making a left turn from a slow-moving traffic lane where the slow- and fast-moving traffic lanes are divided, or making a right turn from the fast-moving traffic lane of said road. If there are signs, markings or signals on the street, all vehicles shall follow their instruction.
  6. Failing to yield the through traffic when making a turn.
  7. Through traffic occupying the innermost or outermost lanes at an intersection where they are designated as left- or right-turn only.

Should a driver make a turn fail to stop and yield pedestrians to cross where pedestrian crossing is not prohibited, he/she shall be fined from NT$1,200 to NT$3,600.
Should a driver make a turn fail to stop and yield visually impaired pedestrians with white cane or guide dog crossing where a pedestrian crossing is not prohibited, he/she shall be fined from NT$2,400 to NT$7,200.

Art. 49: same shit different turn:

In the event of any of the followings while making a U-turn, car drivers shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,800:

1. Making a U-turn where there is a sign indicates winding roads, hill roads, narrow roads, narrow bridges, or tunnels.
  2. Making a U-turn on roadways with signs prohibiting that movement, with traffic direction separators, or with lines prohibiting overtaking or lane switching.
  3. Making a U-turn on sections of roads where left turns are prohibited.
  4. Making a U-turn at a circle without following the direction of traffic.
  5. Failing to stop and activate left turn signal or failing to pay attention to traffic in both directions or pedestrians before making a U-turn.

Art. 60: Fuck tha Police

In the event of any of the following situations where no rules of punishment are provided in this chapter, car drivers shall be fined from NT$900 to NT$1,800:

1. Failing to follow the directions or refuse to cooperate with traffic officers or inspection personnel pursuant to laws and regulations.
  2. Failing to follow orders issued by roadway or police authorities under the regulations provided in Article 5.

2 POINT OFFENSES

Art. 29: Carrying too much shit

1. Sub. P. 1: Carrying goods that exceeds the prescribed length, width, or height limits.
  2. Sub. P. 2: Carrying goods that exceeds the prescribed weight, length, width, or height limits without applying permission or without displaying hazardous warning signs.
  3. Sub. P. 3: Carrying hazardous materials without applying permission or without putting hazardous warning signs as required, using a tank truck with a tank that has not been certified and approved, operation personnel do not have a qualify professional training, or failing to follow relevant safety regulations.
  4. Sub. P. 4: Failing to follow the regulations about carrying goods on a truck or tractor-trailer.

Art. 29-2: Carrying too much shit, pt. 2

(note: this has some strange point values listed, I suspect the online one is either just out of date for the current punishments or these are two pointers because of points added from other included offenses.)

1. Par. 1: Should a car carrying goods exceed its gross weight limit or gross combination load, the vehicle’s owner shall be fined and charged with one traffic violation. In the event that the car driver is found responsible, the driver shall be fined under Paragraph 3 and charged with traffic violation points under Subparagraph 2, Paragraph 1, Article 63; and the car shall also be charged with one traffic violation.
    1. Par. 2: Should a car carrying goods cross a bridge and exceed its weight limit the driver shall be fined. If the car’s owner is found liable, he/she shall be fined and charged with one violation under Paragraph 3; and the car driver shall be charged with 2 traffic violation points under Subparagraph 2, Paragraph 1, Article 63.
    1. Par. 4: Should a vehicle driver carrying goods enter the road section within 5 kilometers of a weight station and fail to follow instructions to enter the scales as provided by relevant road traffic signs, markings, or signals, or given instructions by traffic police officers or personnel conducting traffic inspections the driver shall be fined NT$90,000 and forced to enter the scales. If the car’s owner is found liable, he/she shall be fined and charged with one violation; and the car driver shall be charged with 2 traffic violation points under Subparagraph 2, Paragraph 1, Article 63.

A30: Carrying too much shit part 3:

• Par. 1: In the event of any of the following conditions concerning the loading of goods, car drivers shall be fined from NT$3,000 to NT$9,000; be required to make corrections; or be prohibited from driving:
  1. Carrying goods that exceed the weight, length, width, or height limits without special admission; or fail to follow regulations regarding designated routes and times.
  2. Carrying goods that leak, scatter, fall off, drop or give off unpleasant odor.
  3. Carrying more workers than as permitted by the regulations, or failing to follow the regulations regarding passenger seating.
  4. Exceeding the approved number of passengers. This does not apply to public buses carrying passengers with a gross weight that meets the approved limits during rush hour.
  5. Exceeding the approved number of passengers in the front seat of a small passenger car or driver’s cabin of a truck.
  6. Carrying passengers outside the vehicle cabin.
  7. Failing to properly secure passengers and goods and apparently cause safety concern.
  8. Failing to present any of the followings: special permission for carrying hazardous goods; proof of inspection for a tank on a tank truck; operation training certificate; or failing to follow the regulations by driving at designated lane(s), route(s) and time slots.

3 POINT OFFENSES

Art. 43: Drivin’ like a Douche

(note many of these contain like just losing your plate and license too)

• In the event of any of the followings, the car driver shall be fined from NT$6,000 to NT$24,000 and prohibited from driving:
  1. Zigzagging or operating the vehicle in other dangerous manners.
  2. Exceeding the maximum speed limit by 60 km/hr or more.
  3. Tailgating, changing lanes without notifying, or forcing other vehicles to give their way by inappropriate manners.
  4. Suddenly cutting speed, braking or stopping in a lane not in an emergency situation.
  5. Removing mufflers or making noise by other means.

Art. 53: Runnin Reds:

• Should a car driver pass through a intersection with signal control without following the signal instruction and run a red light he/she shall be fined from NT$1,800 to NT$5,400.Should the driver as detailed in the above paragraph make a right turn during a red light, he/she shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,800.

Art. 53-1 Runnin Reds p2 train edition

• Should a car driver pass through a mass rapid transit system vehicles sharing road lanes intersection with signal control without following the signal instruction and run a red light, he/she shall be fined from NT$3,600 to NT$10,800. Should the driver as detailed in the above paragraph make a right turn during a red light, he/she shall be fined from NT$1,200 to NT$3,600.
  • Should a car driver pass through a intersection with signal control without following the signal instruction and run a red light he/she shall be fined from NT$1,800 to NT$5,400.
    Should the driver as detailed in the above paragraph make a right turn during a red light, he/she shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,800.
1 Like

That actually has a big fine for using the overtaking lane improperly.
But how could you prove they caused congestion when reporting such incident?

1 Like