My disgusting polluting restaurant downstairs

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“superking”]I’m confused here. Are the Taiwanese lovely wonderful people or are they suspicious racists? This thread is painting them to be both.

Why don’t you guys speak more about the human universality of being hypocritical, being a grass and social responsibility instead of these anecdotes about how you feel about Taiwan and the Taiwanese?

And obviously, if my comments don’t apply to what you have written don’t bother feeling upset or indignant. :laughing:[/quote]

the thread is focused on the problem of anonymity, which is a huge problem compared to say, the UK.The UK police wouldn’t spill the beans at the first opportunity, the Taiwanese on the other hand, would.[/quote]

Actually this thread is not really about anonymity. This is about a guy who is in a building with rusted pipes, illegal constructions, rusted stair rails, blocked exits and some drums oil. This is a thread about a guy who acknowledges that his own company is a part of this problem. This thread is about that guys ability to see all of these problems and then make a choice to blame the hotpot restaurant. It’s also a device for people to thinly veil their racist prejudices.
If the op was looking for a way to get the whole problem fixed without being found out then I would agree it is about anonymity. Actually it is about blinked thought and a desire to partially fix a problem.
How does the op know its gutter oil? How does the op mentally justify the logic of telling someone else to clean up when their own company is causing a similar mess? Why doesn’t he report the building owners for violation codes?

HH2 are the EPA and 1999 the police?

And what would it matter if the restaurant found out who complained? Is the op worried that he is going to lose his job because his own company are culpable? Or is one of you going to suggest the hotpot people will have his legs broken for him? Surely if they are illegally using gutter oil and the Taiwanese are friendly people he will be hailed a hero.

It sounds like to me it’s really about a guy who’s concerned about public health and safety when no one else around cares, has no other interest in it, but doesn’t want to lose his job over it. Not exactly a great moral conundrum.

I don’t think it is a great moral conundrum either. And it certainly isn’t a problem limited to being in Taiwan or the people being Taiwanese.

I would be hard pressed to tell from what you’re saying about it. Who said it was “a problem limited to Taiwan”? It’s occurring in Taiwan among Taiwanese people and he’s looking for specific advice.

My own advice to the OP is to quite his job. English teaching jobs are a dime a dozen in Taiwan. Obviously, by owning the building and being aware of such violations, the company doesn’t give “two shits” where it houses its teachers. Furthermore, by allowing the hot pot place to continue to pollute so much, they don’t seem to care about the teachers or other peoples’ welfare for that matter.

I’d quite the job, find another one, and then tell the EPA, media etc.

I would be hard pressed to tell from what you’re saying about it. Who said it was “a problem limited to Taiwan”? It’s occurring in Taiwan among Taiwanese people and he’s looking for specific advice.[/quote]

What do you think I have said about it? My initial comment was that there is a dichotomy between how the Taiwanese were being portrayed in the thread.

Then I spoke about the OP being a grass…

in the face of being a hypocrite.

I also spoke of social responsibility being the issue rather than just the HotPot restaurant being culpable…

So no, it isn’t a great moral conundrum. It’s about a guy who is pissed off at a few barrels of oil which he perceives to be gutter oil, when the whole building is…

So I don’t really see this as a problem in Taiwan amongst Taiwanese people with a guy looking for advice. I see this as a case where he and many others are just as involved. It’s blinkered vision disguised as social responsibility.

He works there, what do you want from the guy? I see this as moral grandstanding over insignificant issues.

[quote=“ChewDawg”]My own advice to the OP is to quite his job. English teaching jobs are a dime a dozen in Taiwan. Obviously, by owning the building and being aware of such violations, the company doesn’t give “two shits” where it houses its teachers. Furthermore, by allowing the hot pot place to continue to pollute so much, they don’t seem to care about the teachers or other peoples’ welfare for that matter.

I’d quite the job, find another one, and then tell the EPA, media etc.[/quote]

It’s not and English teaching job, not dime a dozen either… thanks though

Why pick on the hotpot restaurant? I would say it is better if the guy reports the whole building, rather than pick on one issue. I was interested in why such issues have to become about ragging on the Taiwanese but you seem to believe I am bothered about something else.

‘Moral grandstanding.’ Nice insult. Shame nobody can edit your personal attacks.

I would be hard pressed to tell from what you’re saying about it. Who said it was “a problem limited to Taiwan”? It’s occurring in Taiwan among Taiwanese people and he’s looking for specific advice.[/quote]

What do you think I have said about it? My initial comment was that there is a dichotomy between how the Taiwanese were being portrayed in the thread.

Then I spoke about the OP being a grass…

in the face of being a hypocrite.

I also spoke of social responsibility being the issue rather than just the HotPot restaurant being culpable…

So no, it isn’t a great moral conundrum. It’s about a guy who is pissed off at a few barrels of oil which he perceives to be gutter oil, when the whole building is…

So I don’t really see this as a problem in Taiwan amongst Taiwanese people with a guy looking for advice. I see this as a case where he and many others are just as involved. It’s blinkered vision disguised as social responsibility.[/quote]

Right now, you are leading us all astray.

I just need some advice on how to clean up this crap without losing my job. Keep it simple :wink:

The restaurant + building management are 90% of the problem, the other 10% of offenders are the companies within it.

Soops, you’ve lost it a bit on this thread. Racism? Where in the world did you get that from?

“Taiwan is a place full of terrific people” means exactly what it says. Are they all lovely? Of course not. In general, they are, but not a lot of their elected officials are. Nor are the police.

What agency is connected to the 1999 number? If it’s EPA, I’d be more inclined to believe that they might protect the OP’s anonymity.

Still wondering WHY the OP hasn’t responded to the many suggestions that he get a native speaker to call for him.

[quote=“Tomas”]Soops, you’ve lost it a bit on this thread. Racism? Where in the world did you get that from?

“Taiwan is a place full of terrific people” means exactly what it says. Are they all lovely? Of course not. In general, they are, but not a lot of their elected officials are. Nor are the police.

What agency is connected to the 1999 number? If it’s EPA, I’d be more inclined to believe that they might protect the OP’s anonymity.

Still wondering WHY the OP hasn’t responded to the many suggestions that he get a native speaker to call for him.[/quote]
1999 is general contact number which will connect you to the authority in charge of your problem.

[quote=“Tomas”]Soops, you’ve lost it a bit on this thread. Racism? Where in the world did you get that from?

Still wondering WHY the OP hasn’t responded to the many suggestions that he get a native speaker to call for him.[/quote]

Why does the op need to remain anonymous if all he is doing is calling out the EPA to take care of some blocked fire escape and some drums of oil? Why can’t he just approach the hotpot restaurant and politely ask them to move the stuff?

I don’t have anyone willing to assist.

OP

Read previous posts… I don’t want to lose my job or ruin my career at my company.

My company has a good relationship with the building management. If I fail to persaude them, the problem never gets solved, they dislike me, my career becomes more messy.

Call in and the authorities anon who hopefully solve it, everyone wins…

Herein lies the problem, if I get redirected, the EPA may well disclose my identity as they so choose.

If I tell them not to disclose my Identity, will they keep me anonymous? This is my concern.

if you are a white dude it should be pretty straight forward to get some local chick to phone in for you… not the most PC method but it will be simple and will solve your problem…thats my 2 pence…

Lros, that made me smile. I can just imagine the OP turning up at the brass monkey (or whereever expats hang out these days to pick up curious local girls), finding a suitable mark and going through the essential chore of a little horizontal jogging, and then asking her apologetically if she wouldn’t mind making a phone call. "You horrible foreigner! What! You only wanted me for making phone calls for you! You foreigners, you’re all the same! :raspberry: :fume: " [girl storms off in floods of tears plotting terrible revenge]

:smiley:

Sorry but this is probably the most naive statement I’ve ever read on this forum.

“bla bla boa issue is mafia related" or “don’t report him, he is a gangster” is typical Taiwanese cowardice excuse. Seriously, this island is full of cowards. You can see this in first aid situations. What Taiwanese do to rationalise their anti-social selfish behaviour is to point out some isolated cases that they know of from a distant relative’s friend’s uncle’s coworker where someone got screwed for helping. I tried to find any such case - no success so far.