My first night in Taiwan! (Taipei) - my first question... help!

I’d spin this off into it’s new thread for this question but I can’t remember the buttons, soz!

I would like to understand what you and @afterspivak “see” when you think of Shinjuku. What excites you about the place? How do you feel when you are there? Is this a feeling or a vibe that existed in the past which is no longer present, or does the place still have an emotion for you?

I’m very curious because I found Tokyo, and specifically Shinjuku area including Kabukicho soulless and I feel like either I’m missing quite a lot or I’m just different? Maybe on a drunken night out then Shinjuku is more exciting?

I feel like we’ve discussed this before, maybe even quite recently, but my mind is going so might as well relive the conversion! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my case, I was a young lad just off the airplane. The tangle of skyscrapers and narrow alleys and human activity was unforgettable.

Me and my mates were so fresh-off-the-aircraft we could not figure out at first how to cross the tracks from the Nishi-Shinjuku side to the action on the east side (i.e. Kabuki-cho and off to Shinjuku San-chome and the gay district in Shinjuku Ni-chome). Our inability to get across is perhaps one reason I remember that night more vividly than @tango42 . :grin:

This was, I hasten to add, many years ago, well before Tokyo’s quadralingual signage became the norm (that happened, I think, when Japan co-hosted the World Cup—the languages are Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, and English). Before this change, I could read the kana but let’s just say everything was an adventure, including riding the trains.

Nowadays, there are heaps more tourists in the area (well at least post-COVID), and many izakaya have suffered greatly due to the pandemic. Tokyo still does look great, at least it did in January. I’d go back for another visit in a flash. And unlike @tango42 I will remember it!

Guy

2 Likes

Sounds like you were dazzled by the foreign travel! I’ve had that before, first time I visited Budapest. With Tokyo, despite me spending a few months learning Japanese and being interested in Japanese culture to a certain extent, I arrived and felt like it was a human farm that everyone was just silently tolerating. I loved Kyoto though. Kagoshima also next on the list.

Perhaps I’m showing my entitlement here, but the Sakura festival in Meguro River, for example… something which the Tokyo dwellers get very excited about, and so they should and good for them, but I couldn’t help but think it was just trees next to a storm drain. I came back to the UK, to the town I used to live which has a reputation of being a bit of a shit-hole, cherry trees everywhere and no one gives a fuck. Looks way better than Meguro River, just without the Tokyo “image” I suppose.

Made me appreciate that so-called shit-hole much more. Didn’t stop me moving away though :smiley:

1 Like

Gave a mention to the forumosa!

2 Likes

Interesting to see you selected the MRT route into Taipei as opposed to the “taxi” part embedded in your monicker. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Been all over on it today. It’s so convenient and easy to use…

apart from when you get your hotel card out instead!! Hotel cards slow up the queue for the turnstiles :joy:

1 Like

You’re doing great, man! Thanks for bringing some positive energy to this site.

Btw, if you want to escape some of the sweetness you descibed in your youtube video, one place you can consider trying is Xiaonanmen Restaurant (小南門) for dumplings and northern Chinese fare. It’s located at Taipei Main Station up on the second floor, near the northeast corner. Lots of great food up there and Taipei Main is easy to get to with the Red Line and Blue Lines converging, along with Taiwan Rail and Taiwan High Speed Rail.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Guy

4 Likes

haha, Why you say that? Is there a lot of negative energy on the site? I hadn’t noticed.

I have to do a bit of sweetness, it’s mainly for my family in UK who worry, haha

I might check that out tomorrow, I have to be out of my hotel by noon, but need to take the 高鐵 to 高雄 tomorrow. bit worried as I’ve picked up a bit of a runny nose and cough!! A foreigner with a cough and sniffles doesn’t look good (I’ve tested negative though!)

Also, is it usual for foreigners to get second looks? I’ve noticed it all day, and didn’t expect that in taipei :joy:

Absolutely love the place. I felt at home within a day. This really is my cup of tea, but I’m sure everyone says that :joy:

Don’t forget your masks, as you’ll need them on all trains and in all stations en route, except when eating or drinking on the High Speed Rail trains, which really are lovely—the first, and so far only, time that Japan has exported its famed Shinkansen technology.

Enjoy your trip!

Guy

1 Like

Yep. You get used to it after a while.

Masks no issue, since I noticed everyone is pretty much wearing them even in the streets, so am I, otherwise I forget when going in buildings or areas.

Do you have to pre-book the HSS or just turn up?

For HSR: Unless you are leaving during one of the rush hours, you should be fine to simply turn up and purchase a ticket for a non-reserved seat (typically cars 10-12) to save a few dollars. If your destination is Kaohsiung (that is, Zuoying Station), figure out when the fast trains (numbered in the 100s, not the 600s or 800s) depart. Unless of course you prefer to stop everywhere along the way. :joy:

Guy

3 Likes

Ah! So I want the 100s! Great, thanks! Glad I asked, I wouldn’t have known that. While you’re here, can I sneak another question in? Can I use my easy card thing that I use on the MRT?

(I know people often online say ’ google is your friend’ but I prefer human answers! haha

Not on HSR. You’ll need to purchase a separate ticket from one of the machines, or from one of the ticket agents located on the B1 level of Taipei Main Station.

Guy

3 Likes

Perfect! Thanks, appreciate it.

1 Like

Not a problem. Enjoy!

Guy

2 Likes

I’m going to give myself a fair bit of time… although now I feel more comfortable, when I first arrived at Main station, I couldn’t find my way out! haha. Every exit seem to lead to another row of shops :joy:

1 Like

Remember: restaurants on the second floor (US style counting, one up from the ground level); HSR tickets and gates on the B1 level.

It is a bit of a maze in there isn’t it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Ah, so first floor UK :laughing:

Yep! Especially when first time I’ve ever been anywhere.

After about 6 journeys on the MRT today, I’ve already got used to all the signage now. (with help of google maps) - though google maps doesnt use hanzi, which I prefer. I’m not too bad at reading and writing. It’s speaking and listening I am no good at!

1 Like