My IBM Laptop is doing strange things

Sob…

My laptop has crashed.

After starting Windows the screen has some shaking and disturbance and then I can’t move the arrow, which means I have to reboot.

Or the whole screen is filled with strange patterns.

Or the screen just becomes blacks.

Sometimes when I reboot and start the computer nothing happens. The screen just stays black.

What happened? Seems like some serious hardware crash to me.
Do I have to give this laptop up and start to save up money for a new one?

Virus or software or hardware problem. Sound similar to the "White screen of death"we had recently. But can be totally different.

Start the computer in secure mode. You must hit one of the F1… keys to get into the option screen during bootup.

If it starts fine then, it is likely not a virus but rather a video driver or hardware issue.
If problem persists, it is very likely a virus.

That narrows things down :wink:.

I believe F5 goes straight to safe mode and F8 gives you some options. Sounds like you problem calls for some sort of [boot disk] (of the ultimate order)

Try getting in with safe mode first though.

How old is your machine? I have a ThinkPad that exhibits similar behavior but it is five years old. According to IBM it is “vintage”.

That narrows things down :wink:.
[/quote]

Um yes… So the important thing is, like we all say, to try safe mode first. Otherwise we know Nuttin’.

Really sound viral, but you never know.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Virus or software or hardware problem. Sound similar to the "White screen of death"we had recently. But can be totally different.
[/quote]

Here’s the thread of which he speaketh:
[White Screen of Death on Windows XP -Please help!

I’d advise you to follow the same advice as given there, even if the problem if different.

Let us know if nothing works though.

It is 1.5 years old.

Thanks for the tips and the link to the old thread. Will try them out and I also got a list of procedures from IBM which I will go through. Will update if anything turns out to be successful.

However, my gut feeling is that my computer is history. Now it hardly starts at all and if it does, slightest movement of it and it is gone…

Will be more careful with the next notebook I buy, always keep it on a flat surface, make sure there is a stable power supply etc…