My name is white supremacy?

Just tell him to keep using your Chinese name and the problem will sort itself out.

4 Likes

He’s a stubborn man.

Well, he’s obviously set in his ways. Just think of it as your stimulus check.

The money doesn’t help me particularly.

Have had that from a few students who reject having an English name. Most of them aren’t so in-your-face, me being a white guy and their teacher, but I can see it.

Sounds like the kind of self-righteous prig who posts at r/sino

Glad you told him to stuff it. :+1:

5 Likes

Strange, most of my Vietnamese exchange students (some of those poor buggers are stuck here due to COVID) use English names. I have about a dozen and they all chose easy names like “Peter” or “Anita.” The one exception is a middle-aged lady who is taking night classes. Could be a generational thing perhaps?

5 Likes

The Burmese kids did not use English name either. But then again, they never studied in a cram school in Thailand either. I had a Mr. Moo and Ms. Meh. Awesome kids.

I agree with you ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ

1 Like

Don’t be jealous lol

2 Likes

People in Taiwan have used English names for a very long time . Big influence from US and many Taiwanese Americans. Later it became localised using English names, some ppl prefer that .

But I also see why people don’t want an English name. I also don’t want an ‘English’ name . :grin:
But I don’t judge one way or the other.

3 Likes

there’s a beer fund that I am familiar with that you can make donations to from those kind transfers … :slight_smile:

I know some Taiwanese using their pinyin of their Chinese names as “English” names, but they are minority.

My non-Chinese name is not an English name, but they call it so.

2 Likes

It’ll have to stay in the bank until my daughter hits 18.

Me too it’s not unusual. Da Wei. Li li.

I am majnly referring to how some people like to be called Mike or David…Often they have relatives overseas ,lived overseas and they like their English names .

1 Like

My real name is in English but I use a Chinese name here for my business. What does that make me? Am I furthering Chinese supremacy? Anyone remember that companies used to give people their English names? Some of my older friends have names that are really starting initials for their Chinese names. like JD or SJ, etc
I started in Taiwan supporting tech customers back in 2000 and would often see the same engineer at a different company with a different English name.
Other funny names where they pick something odd that sounds like more of a home appliance or something terrible. I know engineers named Eagle, Scream, Charming, Pillow, and Peter Pan.
I helped choose an English name for a baby girl. Her Chinese name is RuiAn and they were going to choose Ryan but I suggested Rihanna.
My Chinese name is not a perfect match for phonetic of my English name because I wanted a name that isn’t stupid and people can say it without wondering what kind of weirdo would have this name.

4 Likes

A cultural appropriator, to those “progressives” who see white supremacy under every rock and inside other people’s names and life choices.

I had a friend once who’s (whose?) student was a Chinese soldier with the English name of Nancy. She told him that he should change it.

3 Likes

Hopefully he didn’t change it to Marion.

I suspect ‘Nancy’ was suggested to him by some foreign English teacher when he was a kid. Apparently some teachers made a sport of picking something silly, but not quite silly enough that anybody would notice (which gave a lot of leeway).

But what if the bank keeps the money? :noway: