My name is white supremacy?

The experience of introducing two Taiwanese friends by their their English names, and having them shake hands while muttering their real names to each other.

6 Likes

I had a girlfriend named Kevin once.

1 Like

was he nice? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never really cared about students having English names or not, as long as they can spell their names consistently.

When I had an employer who insisted every student needed an English name, one day a new student proudly proclaimed he didnā€™t have one ā€œå› ē‚ŗęˆ‘å¾ˆę„›åœ‹ā€. He wasnā€™t arrogant about it, just proud. He had obviously been coached. (This was over in 大é™øland.) I would have accepted that, but an assistant (Chinese) teacher said we couldnā€™t accept it and proceeded to talk him into choosing an English name. It took about two minutes, and after that everything was fine. :idunno:

1 Like

Reminds me of Clayton Bigsby the black ā€˜white supremacistā€™!

Not going to mention her name, but #metoo. She knew it was a boyā€™s name but ā€˜just liked the sound of itā€™.

Used to know another girl called ā€˜Virginaā€™. Although she pronounced it ā€˜Virginiaā€™.

1 Like

Champion

1 Like

My children each have a ā€œchineseā€ name in Chinese pinyin, an ā€œEnglishā€ name, and my family name. My daughterā€™s ā€œchineseā€ name is her first name and the only one she uses, and I find that most Taiwanese who are aware of it (e.g., whenever we do something with the government or at a hospital) insist on calling her by her middle name.

Back in the day I had students with names like Three Rocks, Flying Tiger, Jack Wilkes, Winddy, and a whole lot of Apple (ā€œbecause my head looks like an appleā€).

At work our emails are based on our real names, so I appreciate it when my Chinese and Taiwanese coworkers use their real names so I can actually find them.

3 Likes

I thought Jones was Welsh?

1 Like

Jenny4563456356664324586445@yahoo.com.tw
(sorry this name has already been taken try Jenny44665445766665665466778@yahoo.com.tw)

6 Likes

You have a beer fund for your daughter that she can start spending when she hits 18? Damn, why canā€™t I have a dad like you?!?

4 Likes

I wonder what @Hapadoge would make of that. :thinking:

2 Likes

My wifeā€™s brothers and sister and a lot of friends the same age went by their Japanese nicknames. Used to freak out some mainlanders.

I donā€™t even have an English name.

1 Like

4 Likes

For many people brought up by old school KMT teachings, their names are the Chinese characters, not how you pronounce them. You can pronounce those characters in Taigi, Hakka, Cantonese, Mandarin, even Japanese or Korean, as long as the person understands thatā€™s how those characters are pronounced in that language, theyā€™d feel thatā€™s their name. Thatā€™s why Andy Lau will always be called Liu De-hua here in Taiwan, and not Lau Tak-wah. Itā€™s not how you pronounce it that matters, itā€™s how you write it down. The characters carry the meaning of the name, and not the pronunciation.

To those people, the romanization of their names arenā€™t their names at all, especially when itā€™s destined to be butchered. They might as well get another name that has some meaning behind it in English as their English name.

7 Likes

People change their name here often. Often parents change their kids name the person having that opinion can keep it for themself.

As a side note, not every english speaker is white, so they are also fairly unintelligent.

1 Like

Somewhere in the world, someone with the name of White Supremacy is very confused by this thread title. Very sorry, missus Supremacy.

Thereā€™s probably some laundry detergent named supreme white

2 Likes