My observation: Taiwan motorways are safer than the USA

I drove mostly in Kyushu and far north, but sometimes in Kansai (Osaka) area and have to say driving in Taipei area is harder mainly because of lots of scooters in Taipei area and heavy traffic and in general some crazy drivers (Japan has some but as many). The traffic in Kansai flows better on on motorway/expressways even though they might be smaller (lanes). The only thing I can think is worse is the toll/fee in Japan is very high compared in Taiwan. In Southern Taiwan I enjoy driving with less traffic and bigger roads. Tainan central has small roads but away from there its nice. Taipei is just too dense and many cars (big ones compared to Japan )

This jibes with my experience driving in Japan:

I stop now but I’m generally the only one who does.

This.

I totally agree with your post, except this part isnt unique to taiwan at all. Every cultre has egos.

1 Like

There’s a lot of angry drivers in Taiwan.
Anybody else find that ? Pushing, aggressive, like maniacs, speeding up even when it’s not necessary. Not slowing down till last second. SUV drivers or drivers of expensive cars often the worst in terms of giving way. Scooter drivers also shit but in a different way. From
my daily observation it’s across all age groups and both sexes. Female drivers do not behave better.
Bus drivers…Often deplorable with a nasty attitude towards passengers.

1 Like

Sanchong Bus is actually the worst… they drive very aggressively as though their lives depended on shortening the route by about 5 minutes…

1 Like

I think that is more about bad eyesight and/or living like cockroaches in a box all the time more than lack of respect. napan is fairly curteous, but still often quite densely populated. When we lived there breidly, the countryside was not the tail gating mayhem like you see in.cities. i think thatprobably holds true in most places. I can understand people living in insanely overpopulated areas wont grow up understanding space the same way someone would in the remote hills of Alaska. This is where logic and intelligence shows its ugly head as its a fairly unbias form of testing a societies ability to perfom tasks based on such metrics.

Yes absolutely. But further discussion is better suited in apsychology forum because this type of split personality actually makes total sense when one considers family, school, work and social lives in taiwan. In my.opinion its own ticking time bomb, which i have spoken my.peice about in threads about addiction and drug use. So dont want to repeat. But its real, an its not getting.better, regardless of any of our opinions. Somethig worth having meaningful conversations about and inplementing meaningful efforts to improve it. Thats why i think teachers are in the ideal position, regardless how helpless they claim they are.

2 Likes

Driving is when they have a sense of freedom I guess but they abuse it , badly. And some people especially some of the suv merc type drivers are really assholes with a nasty streak to them who think they are superior because they have money and nobody ever challenges them. When you challenge them all they can do is erupt in an incoherent rage.

1 Like

Im not sure its about freedom. I think its largely ignorance and a constant sense of entitlement based on an ego centeic upbringing.

Which is counterintuitive based on the han chinese model of people veing ants serving the queen, but it does still seem prevalent. Perhaps an example of “give an inch, take amile” extrapolated onto nationwide levels

2 Likes

Was there a recent case in Taichung a young man had problem with rich people in a rich car? Hope the boy is ok?

2 Likes

For a lot of people with money this seems to be the case. That’s because they are not challenged about that bad behaviours . And their classmates will give them more respect just because they are rich. Women will sell themselves for marriage . It’s part of society to give deference to richer people here even complete losers who inherited daddy or granddaddy’s money and did nothing with their life.

4 Likes

Yep, i think thats at the core of the issue as well.

1 Like

So clear it needs to be repeated twice. :sunglasses:

We just had like 40 ferraris run though our tiny town at lightspeed. Once they kill someone, what then? And make no mistake, every weekend w have them.“city folk” killing or maiming the few every weekend. I dont mind rich people, or expensive cars… but i do mind people thinking they own the road. shit car or expensive, no difference.

The saying we were drilled with as teenagers: You can fix every nut in a car, except the one behind the wheel.

Or something to that effect

2 Likes

Your in KHH or Pingtung? Pingtung has a racetrack for them if it is still open

The Taichung one, they beat up the poor young man, hope he can recover.

I am ALL over taiwan ALL the time :wink: My registered ID address isnt important as im not always there :wink:

I agree the race track near dong gan in DaPengWan is good. They do a piss poor management as far as society going to watch races, but lets be honest, thats not actually its purpose. Another fun thing where taiwan is differen to the west i guess. that track is largely about people with money that like racing go to do their thing. Organized public races are happening, but rare…a true pittyy.

Once the mangrove get another decade in them, that area will be a major second tier destination for taiwan, easily. esepcially if one of the 3 trian systems finalizes plans to go through Donggang and pass the wetland area to connect to Linbian/fangliao train stations.

Of course, if they havent sunk under the ocean by that time haha. Sorry, not funny, thats a serious reality.

I have only been outside the track, not inside but can hear the cars. Some of the races are maybe expensive cars, but some are hobby restored stock cars. I saw nice older cars restored there kind of hobby not seen in the north much.

Ya, for sure. See a lot of rice rockets there. My only issue is they are usually rented closed club type things. Nothing wrong.with that, but i think they could promote the whole area ifthye held weekly or monthly public races.

haha, a new job for you, race promoter !