My observation: Taiwan motorways are safer than the USA

Osakans can be real jerks, I think it’s well-established in Japan. In recent years they’ve cultivated this imageas being funny and lively because they’re famous for comedy duos but IME a lot of people there are kind of coarse by local standards. It’s the only place in Japan where old men would give me and my TW GF death stares, where old ladies were aghast at us in public, where snotty teens would shoulder bump me, etc. Never had any of that happen anywhere else in Japan, ever.

Back on topic, daily driving in Taiwan outside of Taipei is like Mad Max on meth. Not recommended for your blood pressure levels.

3 Likes

Doto Expressways in Hokkaido are primarily two lane due to all the mountainous terrain and the speed limit is typically 90 kph. As a foreigner business visa holder in Japan I make a point of following all the rules so the fastest I go is around 100. Japanese drivers – generally in fancy cars – will get right on my bumper if I don’t speed up to around 120 though and then give me stink eye when we reach a passing lane zone. This happens even on icy winter expressway stretches far out in the countryside. It (almost) never happens on two lane surface roads though. Not sure why being on a two-lane expressway seems to bring out the evil in many Japanese drivers.

Interesting! I was in the south, maybe a different vibe? Honestly, i am a bit stuck on your post trying to imagine a Japanese stink eye…

1 Like

Also known as gaijin-eye. You haven’t really experienced Japan until you’ve been given “the look” by some generally older Japanese male.

They don’t even come close to Belgium where every truck going from Europe north to south and vise versa, east to west and vice versa converge.

In Europe many freeways when going uphill have trucks going on the outer right lane only.

If you live near the ports here or industrial areas it’s probably arguable.

Than you haven’t been near Antwerp port, or Zeebrugge sea port or the access roads.

I don’t need to cause I live in Taiwan and can tell you parts of it have shitloads of trucks and they are annoying…I don’t live in Belgium I don’t care what happens in Belgium.

2 Likes

The thing is that Taiwan has trucks only from Taiwan, Belgium gets everything from Europe.

I sincerely doubt driving in Belgium is anywhere near as bad as Taiwan lol

1 Like

Hope you guys collect tolls when they pass by.

At least Canada was relevant enough to get a thread discussing how relevant it is or is not.

My personal experience on US motorways is limited to three road trips: Ontario to Florida, Ontario to DC, and Ontario to Vancouver (through the states). Hands down the roads here in Kaohsiung are more dangerous, based on this experience. Taiwan driving seems to me to be of the same ilk as Thailand, not as Canada.

2 Likes

Except Richmond for some strange unknown reason. I wonder why its SO bad there?

Kidding.

the HK immigrants will probably say too many mainlanders…

1 Like

:thinking:

Im at the loss what the common denominator may be…

Jokes.

about reality

LOL… agree 100%

1 Like

You are right, I drove in Japan for 6 months (Yamanashi and Tokyo) and it’s one of the easiest places in the world to drive, cause the Japanese follow the rules and the street markings are so good. Except for the whole right hand drive thing, that was hard.

I’ve seen crazy stuff driving my whole life in the US. Cars stuck in trees, a 20 car pileup in light snow that I weaved through somehow. Car next to me hit the sand barrels at 50 mph. Cars going 100 mph in 30 mph zones. Some Greek (my guess) guys chasing me in an old minivan. And now everyone is using their smartphone while driving.

My 2 cents: I drove a lot when I was still in Italy. Drove not only in Italy, but extensively in Europe (thanks EU for freedom of movement), then in Japan (Tokyo all the way to Hyogo prefecture via Kansai, Okinawa prefecture and Hokkaido), Hong Kong (where I was living before) and now Taiwan. I always loved driving because I feel free to explore.

The place I hate the most to drive is HK just because there is literally no space, parking is dear, petrol costs like champagne and, in particular on HK Island, if you take the wrong turn, you are screwed, very difficult to navigate. But, besides crazy moron taxi drivers, driving is relatively safe there, people don’t do too stupid things and very few scooters (all of them foodpanda/deliveroo riders basically).

Taiwan is the super close second. I do really hate driving in Taipei. Scooters are just against self-preservation instincts, they are kamikazes! They don’t care about their lives, they just go, it’s unbelievable. Minitrucks (the blue delivery ones) are just dangerous, they are the owners of the road like bus drivers. Then normal drivers, they have absolutely no clue on safety for themselves and absolute no respect or awareness of others. Parking here is my nightmare, I feel always anxious when I need to park since I fear when I need to get out a car or scooter will be parked in such a way I can’t get out. Many times I had to physically move scooters out of the way.

Europe (at least let’s say Western Europe, Eastern Europe is another world) is safer in the cities, people still do a lot of shitty stuff (like parking in Rome or South of Italy is an experience), but I never felt at risk. Here I do every day I drive.

On Highways, I can agree driving on highways here is generally ok-ish, but the amount of traffic is baffling. When there is traffic, it’s so stuck, but besides that and the usual few morons doing crazy stuff, highways are a nice place to drive on. My favourite roads in Taiwan are still the mountain roads, the smaller the better so less cars and no trucks or scooters. I love them, and all in good shape. Roads in Europe (besides Spain, amazing roads) are crumbling, and tolls and more expensive than here (as it is petrol).

The only solution for scooters here is to increase petrol prices, so they will be incentivised to take public transport. Petrol is way too cheap here, ofc people on scooters will take it over transit when is relatively cheaper, faster and more convenient. But knowing how stingy Taiwanese people can be, even a 5NT/L increase would do something, 10 even better. This increase should be a tax going to finance public transit development or (in cities with developed transit already) subsidise it.

Once scooters are reduced, and also many cars out of the road and converted to transit for metropolitan journeys, Taiwan will become a much better place to drive and live.

3 Likes

I’ve seen highways here so backed up that people were getting out of their parked cars to pee on the side of the road. And this is pretty common on any holiday type of weekend.

If you watch the news you’ll see there’s plenty of accidents as well. And pretty shocking ones with pileups and trucks and fatalities.

After they changed the rules regarding heavy motorcycle use on highways the number of fatalities also rose.mostly cars into motorcycles. The blame was placed on car drivers not being familiar with the changes in rules.

And as for drunks it’s like the highways are their playpens. So many cars with the telltale signs of being sideswiped (usually when exiting the highway) and still they drive them around like there’s nothing wrong with them.

2 Likes