My school is forcing me to work kindy and bushiban jobs

My school in the Keelung area is forcing me to work at their kindergarten and afternoon bushiban jobs. I’ve told them both positions is too much for me to handle. But since they can’t find anyone else to work at the positions, they’ve indirectly implied “Hmm, we have to let you go if you can’t work both places.”

This would be so illegal back in the USA. Oh, well I guess I’ll have to quit the job. Thanks for reading, TeachinVeteran

What kind of school do you work for?

Do not do the Kindy unless you are licensed.

3 Likes

You mean certified? Just checking.

For some people it depends on when they arrived. I had to do all the security and police checks all the way back when I came almost 20 years ago. As well as the nonexistent test for leprosy. Which had my doctor confused. So confused he rang the TECO office to try to ask how I could be tested for leprosy when no such test exists. Then there was the stool sample and a few other things.

True. If you have only an ARC you are not legally allowed to teach at any place not listed as your primary employer’s address. I know people who were deported for innocently working at another branch of a bushiban that their boss sent them to.

1 Like

Can’t find anyone so you have to teach at both places. If you don’t, they will get rid of you.

I can see a problem with their plan.

10 Likes

You know, I just thought of something. 10-15 years ago this site had tons of stories about immigration raiding schools all the time and people getting kicked out. I haven’t seen any of those stories for years now. Did immigration get more lax or did the schools smarten up? Or maybe the English teachers don’t post on here much anymore.

2 Likes

Agreed, it seems like the rules are not being enforced nearly as much.

1 Like

A lot of people have also probably gotten APRCs since then so they just hire those people and they aren’t able to kick them out for that, so perhaps that’s another factor why this has become kind of a non-issue.

To the OP, if you have an APRC or open work permit, just tell them to go fuck themselves. If you don’t you’re not in a very good position right now…

3 Likes

Actually, that was roughly 20 years ago. I heard it was often from competitor Bushibans snitching on other Bushibans when they saw foreigners teaching there. I am out of the loop on current status and for all I know the rules may have changed so maybe I should have provided a caveat. We all just learned to play it safe in those days. I visited my friends in the police station the night they were hauled in. They were deported but it wasn’t a police ride to the airport but a notice to leave the country within x number of days,

1 Like

I remember reading the stories. A competitor would snitch and next thing a foreigner was getting a picture taken of them inside a classroom and they were out.
One guys story consisted of him hiding on the roof when they did a raid because someone tipped off the employer they were coming.

3 Likes

Might have been me. Definitely hid on the roof a few times.

5 Likes

Yes, the cops used to trick people into posing for a picture which was proof of the infraction. Savvy people advised you to say something like
“What? I’m not teaching here, just here observing.” and refuse to pose for pictures.

Yes, this was standard operation in those days. Bathrooms, closets, etc. Guess maybe that is all passé.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: From school (in Taiwan)

The good ol’ stool sample. I sure do miss that routine. AB yogurt drink followed by an orange juice twenty minutes beforehand never failed me.

2 Likes

Because of covid I think. Most newbies couldn’t make it in leaving only veteran teachers who already learned these lessons

1 Like