My VW Passat Failed Emissions Test

I now have to take it to a garage and get it fixed. Anyone know what to do before I go in to improve the emissions standard? I am almost due for an oil change; if I changed it now, could I pass the emissions test? What else can I do?

Thanks

You could try changing to a more viscous oil.
You could try changing your spark plugs if they appear too worn or contaminated.
Depending on your version you could try setting the air control valve.
Check your air filter and change it if need be.

Do a compression test or drop test on the engine before all of this to get an idea of the state of your piston and valve seals in case none of these things will make a difference anyway.

A common crude work-around is/was to take the air filter out. (Put it back, or a new one, afterwards).

New plugs might be worthwhile.

Beyond that we’re into “proper” tuning territory, and beyond that an escalating renovation of the ignition and fuel systems, and engine, but it probably wont come to that. You don’t say which year Passat it is, so unclear to me whether its likely to be a carburrettor or fuel injection (and I’ve never owned a VW so these are just generalisations).

Carbs might have mixture (lean/rich) and idle speed adjustment screws still hidden behind “tamper-proof” plugs. Later carbs tend to be bloody complicated, and I don’t know from fuel injection.

You can lean-off quite a bit and up the idle to keep the thing running, but testers in the UK fail you if your idle’s too high, and that’s probably too extreme anyway.

Fuel additives (homebrew or commercial) to alter combustion behaviour or, (more likely) clean the fuel system (especially injectors where present) might be useful.

I did once get a Renault5 (failed for visible smoke) through an MOT by changing the oil, but I cleaned the crankcase breather circuit out as well, (Edit: and now recall I added “Wynns viscosity improver” as well) and in general an oil change is probably unlikely to make much difference (maybe slightly reduced blowby), though a good thing for other reasons. If you are definately keeping the car may as well do it now anyway.

Get a good looking woman to take it in for testing?

Learn Taiwanese?

Smile ingratiatingly through binlang-stained teeth?

Red envelope?

Thats all I can think of for now.

Edit: Ooops. Pre-empted. I’m a slow typer/thinker

Did you try to get your car passed yourself? If so, and you’re living outside Taipei City, that’s the problem right there. Remember that the “C” in the ROC stands for corruption. You need to pay an agent to take your car through, and then it will be fine - at least that was my experience when I tried to get a Taoyuan-bought car passed a few years back.

It costs about two thousand to get it passed on Chendu road regardless of its emissions if you have an agent do it and if they are willing to.

Hmmm, tht does not really rhyme with my experiences in getting cars passed here in Taoyuan county. I always do it myself, I need no agent.

The worst I have been subjected to is them wanting an extra NT$10 for a light bulb, and then having to do the test a second time.

If the car is able to fail the very lax standards here, a bit of service work on it might be in order.

Hmmm, tht does not really rhyme with my experiences in getting cars passed here in Taoyuan county. I always do it myself, I need no agent.

The worst I have been subjected to is them wanting an extra NT$10 for a light bulb, and then having to do the test a second time.

If the car is able to fail the very lax standards here, a bit of service work on it might be in order.[/quote]

Same for me, took it three times through in Longtan as long as I was still located there, never had a problem at all, barely was able to sit down and finish the tea the served. Car was 3 to 6 years old by that time thought.

In worst case, invest in visiting sulavaca, he can fix anything as I expirienced recently… :smiley:

What year is your Passat, and what powerplant do you have in it?

As much as I hate to say this, the ‘agent’ comments are correct. Whenever I have a vehicle fail inspection I usually get it serviced at the same time and ask the mechanic/dealer to redo the inspection for me. It has never cost more than $1,000 including the inspection fee. Right or wrong it’s way cheaper than fucking around with air filters and oil.

I suppose its a guaranteed pass that way, but a service that doesn’t involve fucking around with air filters and oil should probably be written “serviced”.

more info on ur car please.

year, power plant, milage.