Names of Intel processors - no clue

Can anyone explain to me what are the features/advantages/differences of the following processors (in relevance to notebooks/laptops):

Pentium M
Centrino
Dothan

Thanks.

Centrino is not a processor in itself, but is a combination of a Pentium M (mobile meaning low voltage) processor, an Intel 855 chipset (again one that uses low voltage) and an Intel wireless Lan module 2100 (802.11b), 2200 (802.11 b/g) or 2195 ABG (802.11 a/b/g).

Dothan is the codename Intel uses to refer to the the Processor Generation architecture (90 nanometer process for Dothan and 130nm for Banias. A Pentium M processor can be Dothan or Banias process technology. This is something which you needn’t really concern yourself with unless you are thinking of upgrading the processor.

As well as standard Pentium M processors they are coming out with low voltage and ultra low voltage versions.

You can consider a Centrino type machine if you feel that you need to run on batteries a lot when working on your notebook. If power comsumption is not such a major issue then frankly I wouldn’t bother as it basically ties you to Intel’s WLAN module which is more expensive than many other similar WLAN modules out there.

Bear in mind also that Intel uses their SpeedStep technology to manage the power within Centrino systems. Intel CPU SpeedStep will adjust the speed of the CPU according to the setting of the Win

Centrino is not a processor in itself, but is a combination of a Pentium M (mobile meaning low voltage) processor, an Intel 855 chipset (again one that uses low voltage) and an Intel wireless Lan module 2100 (802.11b), 2200 (802.11 b/g) or 2195 ABG (802.11 a/b/g).

Dothan is the codename Intel uses to refer to the the Processor Generation architecture (90 nanometer process for Dothan and 130nm for Banias. A Pentium M processor can be Dothan or Banias process technology. This is something which you needn’t really concern yourself with unless you are thinking of upgrading the processor.

As well as standard Pentium M processors they are coming out with low voltage and ultra low voltage versions.

You can consider a Centrino type machine if you feel that you need to run on batteries a lot when working on your notebook. If power comsumption is not such a major issue then frankly I wouldn’t bother as it basically ties you to Intel’s WLAN module which is more expensive than many other similar WLAN modules out there.

Bear in mind also that Intel uses their SpeedStep technology to manage the power within Centrino systems. Intel CPU SpeedStep will adjust the speed of the CPU according to the setting of the Win

Just yesterday Intel announced to update their Centrino platform. They released the new Chipset Mobil 915 with tons of new features. For those bilinuguals that read german, go to:

heise.de/newsticker/meldung/55276

for details.

They also have a new Pentium M with FSB 533 coming out, fitted to the 915 chipset. So this improves the performance greatly. I am not sure, it might be worth waiting for availability.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. :slight_smile:

Of course just browsing the intel website would have supplied you with all that information too…

They have a website!?

:wink:

please let me know if you need the url
i will be pleased to help you