Names that should have been red flags

Been thinking this for awhile. Seems that big scammers of many stripes have names that seem like fictional characters that should have been red flags that they were indeed gonna lie/cheat/scam in various ways.

Examples:
Bernie Madoff: he Made off with the money. Scammed billions from everyone, including famous people, charities and pension funds.

Sam Bankman-Fried: He was a bankman, seems his brain was fried. Same as above.

Stockton Rush: He rushed to get things done, without taking proper safety testing. Ended up rushing to his death.

Anyone think of anymore?

4 Likes

I did start a “nominative determinism” thread. Seems like criminals aren’t immune to the phenomenon.

3 Likes

The Titan was a titanic mistake when commercial interests were placed above safety and common sense.

2 Likes

Yeah, in retrospect, calling it The Titan was just asking for trouble.

It’s pretty eerie when you think about it.

2 Likes

nice thread. I knew it was a “thing” even as a kid. Jokes about crims called Steele, gynecologists called Bush, etc.

2 Likes

In his mind, he was naming it after himself. You can just tell that this guy was dreaming of seeing headlines with his name and dreamed-of title, “Stockton Rush, Titan of Industry!”

Sure, easy to criticize those who dream big, partly because envy/tall poppy syndrome, but also because people with so much ambition in their personalities, seem to have had a lot of other things squeezed out to make room for their ambitions. Things such as empathy, honesty, the ability to balance risk/reward properly…

1 Like

Alex Murdaugh - murderer (lyrical gangsta)

3 Likes

Anthony Weiner, got caught sexting pictures of his wiener.

3 Likes

Elon musk has a musky smell.

Okay, sorry I don’t have any real ones.

1 Like

I was Chairman for Canadians Living in Taiwan for Bush (Clit for Bush).

5 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like