Nanjing Massacre deniers

Did the Nanking Massacre happen

• Yes it did happen.
  • Never happened!
0 voters

Here is an interesting site I found which questions the massacre:

xanga.com/home.aspx?user=the_rightway

This is the relevant text from the most recent post, please scroll down on his website to find more disgusting posts. Note, the Taidu supporters on the blog comments.

Kind of silly starting a poll on this subject. Might as well as ask how many believe the earth is round. Sure there are a scattering of flat-earth advocates around the world, in their tinfoil hats, but the overwhelming majority of people – even here on Forumosa – have more common sense than that.

I note that the critic you refer to is a Japanese denier of Japanese wartime atrocities. :unamused:

But he does have a point when he refers to Chinese propaganda and lies. It’s my understanding that most authorities put the Nanjing death toll at somewhere between 100,000 to 400,000, but the PRC government claims it is ten times that, only giving credence to claims of wacko japanese conspiracy theorists.

There’s no point even responding to people like this. Not after this blatantly false statement

Nanjing fell on December 13, 1937. A simple search on the New York Times archive shows

[quote=“NYTimes”]JAPANESE CURBING NANKING EXCESSES; Stern Measures Used by High Command to End Atrocities, Which Are Still Going On
By HALLETT ABEND, Special Cable to THE NEW YORK TIMES… New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 19, 1937. pg. 37, 1 pgs

Document types: article
Dateline: SHANGHAI, Sunday, Dec. 19.
Section: General
ISSN/ISBN: 03624331
Text Word Count 797
Document URL:

Abstract (Document Summary)
The Japanese Army’s high command has belatedly begun stern disciplinary measures intended speedily to end the chaos of looting, raping and killing that has made the Japanese entry into Nanking a national disgrace.

Japanese Atrocities Marked Fall of Nanking After Chinese Command Fled; NANKING INVADERS EXECUTED 20,000 Mass Killings by the Japanese Embraced Civilians–Total of Chinese Dead Was 33,000 THE CONQUERORS RAN WILD Deep-Rooted Hatred Instilled by Barbarities–Burning by Chinese Caused Vast Loss
By F. TILLMAN DURDIN By Air Mail to THE NEW YORK TIMES… New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 9, 1938. pg. 38, 1 pgs

Dateline: SHANGHAI, Dec. 22.
Text Word Count 5774
Document URL:

SHANGHAI, Dec. 22.–The battle of Nanking will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the most tragic episodes in modern military annals.

JAPANESE COLONEL IS NOT DISCIPLINED; Hashimoto, Who Commanded Yangtze Area When Panay Was Sunk, Still in Field HANGCHOW DRIVE PUSHED Foreigners in 2 Cities Warned to Get Out–Terror Reign in Nanking Detailed Ask Foreigners to Leave Terror Reigns in Nanking Civilians Bayonetted National Flags Torn Down Autonomous" Board in Nanking 300 Refugees Quit Hankow Sun Fo to Tour Europe
By HALLETT ABENDWireless to THE NEW YORK TIMES… New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 24, 1937. pg. 7, 1 pgs

Dateline: SHANGHAI, Friday, Dec. 24.
Text Word Count 1609
Document URL:

Colonel Kingoro Hashimoto has not been recalled. It is learned on the best authority that he is at present actively in the field, leading his troops with batteries of mountain guns in the Japanese advance upon Hangchow, south of Shanghai.

REIGN OF DISORDER GOES ON IN NANKING; SUGGESTS A MUTINY; Looting and Other Scandalous Behavior of the Japanese Unchecked by Officers
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 25, 1938. pg. 1, 2 pgs

Document types: front_page
Text Word Count 1199
Document URL:

Conditions in Nanking under Japanese rule remain lawless and scandalous, according to advices reaching Shanghai yesterday, and foreigners, except diplomats, are still barred from the city.

NANKING DISORDER REPORTED WANING; Japanese Say Discipline Is Being Restored in Army by Severe Punishment
By HALLETT ABEND, Special Cable to THE NEW YORK TIMES… New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 31, 1938. pg. 4, 1 pgs

Dateline: SHANGHAI, Monday, Jan. 31.
Text Word Count 527
Document URL:

Despite continuing reports that looting, raping and disorders are not yet checked in Nanking, the Japanese here say conditions are distinctly improving. Responsible Japanese authorities do not make attempts to gloss over the facts,[/quote]

Note that the news by January, 1938, was heavily filtered by the Japanese occupation regime. The true extent of the massacre was not fully revealed until later.

I think in all cases like this, the denier’s motive is more relevant than what is denied. Is the denier doing this for the sake of accuracy in history? No. The denier is doing this because the denier doesn’t want to believe it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Kind of silly starting a poll on this subject. Might as well as ask how many believe the earth is round. Sure there are a scattering of flat-earth advocates around the world, in their tinfoil hats, but the overwhelming majority of people – even here on Forumosa – have more common sense than that.

I note that the critic you refer to is a Japanese denier of Japanese wartime atrocities. :unamused:

But he does have a point when he refers to Chinese propaganda and lies. It’s my understanding that most authorities put the Nanjing death toll at somewhere between 100,000 to 400,000, but the PRC government claims it is ten times that, only giving credence to claims of wacko Japanese conspiracy theorists.[/quote]

MT, for the love of Jeebus, please ignore his posts. Maybe he’ll stop. kinda like this one South Park episode where all the kids ignore Cartman, and he thinks he’s a ghost, but can only communicate with one kid who becomes a medium for him.

Which reminds me of this one time in band camp…

Kinda like this one time in a galaxy far far away…

on a dark and stormy night…

there was a knock at the door…

I turned the corner and…

He said to me…

What in the name of God’s green earth…

Are you out of your friggin mind…

Don’t you know who you’re talking to…

I’ll be damned…

This is not what it looks like…

Don’t move or I’ll shoot…

Ready? One, two, three…

Oh…that Nanjing massacre…

Nanjing doesn’t exist. Pure communist fiction.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Nanjing doesn’t exist. Pure communist fiction.
[/quote]

You are correct, sir. Nanjing was spelled N-a-n-k-i-n-g back then so ipso facto there was no “Nanjing Massacre.”