Nantou foreigner "euthanizes" injured dog with tree branch

Dog got run over by Taiwanese driver and was mortality wounded, foreigner decided to “finish him off” to spare the animal further suffering. Unfortunately his actions left witnesses at the scene shocked and shaken up. There’s a video, but I’m not brave enough to watch it.

(warning: link includes graphic pictures)
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 19/651227/

Strange story; he’d argue he did the right thing, but i can see why Taiwanese people would be upset, this being a fairly non-proactive “live and let live” culture.

So does this count as animal abuse or an act of kindness? Thoughts?

It may be a practical way to end the poor dog’s life but certainly would be controversial whether here in the USA or over there in Taiwan. Because of the number of dog lovers around. I was at a vet one time in Taiwan. A person brought a dog in that had been hit by a car. He said he came upon a hit and run and saw the injured dog. He brought him in to see if there was anything that could be done. The vet said no (the dog had already been in a coma) and he put him to sleep. I still remember the gentleman holding his hands together as in a prayer and saying goodbye to the animal and wishing him farewell.

IN practice, if one came upon a seriously injured dog that was not in a coma. That dog will be in great pain and would likely seriously injure a person trying to help it.

When deer get hurt over here, the police come and shoot the deer dead. People are warned to never try to help an injured deer as injuries can be received. Even fatal ones.

So i would say the guy probably did the right thing if the dog was in great pain and beyond saving. It’s just that he didn’t have a gun to do a quicker job of killing the poor thing. Must be a hard thing to watch happen and takes some conviction to do what he did.

And it won’t win him many friends among the general public. People like movies with a happy ending and like heros. A person coming across a mortally injured dog and bashing his head in wouldn’t make the cut for a popular movie and wouldn’t be seen as the “right thing to do”, even if it actually was in the circumstances.

My one penny.

It’s a sad situation . and I would prefer not to watch a video of it either.

if there’s no safe way to move it or get to a vet quickly, then he did the right thing.

in this case, the poor dog’s intestines and eyes had popped out, I don’t think there’s much left to do.

by the way, according to the Animal Protection Act:

[quote]Article 12 12.1 No one shall be allowed to kill animals without due cause unless in any of the following situations:
12.1.5 For relieving animals’ pain from injury or illness.

Article 13 13.1 Anyone killing animals for reasons in Clause 12.1 shall do so in a humane way to minimize animals’ pain. Additional guidelines regarding animal killing are:
13.1.2 The act of putting a pet to death to relieve its pain shall be performed by a veterinarian unless in emergency.[/quote]

I think this is the very definition of an emergency, and the action here is humane and supported by law.

Right deision, just poor optics, people who don;t know will take it wrongly and then him being a foreigner just makes it all that much worse. I think they should show the shooting of a cow in “The Last King of Scotland” to get the point across.

Many moons ago I was driving to the airport in Taoyuan and from a distance I saw a dog in the middle of the road and assumed it was dead. As i got closer i realized it was still alive but probably mortally wounded. The only thing I could do was to go over the dog (my Peugeot had a high ground clearance) to avoid running it over. Such a sad sad situ. And most likely resulting in the dog dying a horrible death. In pain and in the hot sun. This was before the days of the cellfone. So I really didn’t know if there was anything I could do. Being the freeway, it is dangerous to stop and try to move the dog out of the road.

When animals are run over here on the freeways in the bay area, they are never removed, only run over again and again until only fragments remain, just a smear on the roadway.

Its been a long long time, but i can still remember that dog.

Putting a mortally wounded animal out of it’s misery is the right thing to do.

I remember last year , i believe, in the area where i live. I came across a deer on the side of the road that had been wounded. It was not able to walk and was lying on the side of the road. It was still able to nibble at the branches around it. I had to hurry to work, but called 911 from my cellfone. Told the relevant authorities about the deer.

I had hoped it was not greatly injured and could be helped. When i drove back in the evening (was still daylight in the summertime) I looked for the deer. And then i saw it, right at the same spot where it was in the morning .

Except minus its HEAD !

The cops may have come and shot it dead in the head and then removed the head . Left the carcass to rot for many days before the road crew came around to picking it up for disposal.

It was too dangerous or not worthwhile to save that deer. Deer being so common where we are. Too bad they couldn’t transport it immediately to a zoo and let the lions or tigers have a real feast?

This video has cause a lot of controversies within the animal activist groups. There are plenty unreasonable responses, and when I tried to address them, I’m labelled as cruel and heartless for simply pointing out it is legal under the animal protection act, and the laws were specifically written to address this types of situations to spare mortally injured animals from needless suffering.

I don’t see any responses about what are the alternatives, and the right course of action. I also pointed out if that was indeed “in the city”, which in Nantou, even Puli doesn’t really come close to being a “city”, then surely there are plenty of locals who should offer help. Instead, the locals just stood by, recording with their cellphones, and no one did a thing to help the dog, but were all quick to condemn the only person trying to do something to help the dog.

I doubt that person had any means of transportation to get the poor dog to a vet. The locals sure do, but none of them bothered. Judging by how the guts of the animal were all over the road, there’s no point in calling animal rescue services such as savedogs.org/, it would take them over an hour just to get there.

If this sort of thing happened in Taipei, there’s a animal rescue service by Taipei City. Tel: 02-8791-3064~5

Sad that instead of sharing these types of information, most discussions amongst local animal lovers are limited to hypocritical and hysterical rants.

Last year I saw a cat run under a car, it came out still alive, but was messed up, twitching and convulsing. A local on a scooter stopped in the middle of the road, stomped on the cat’s head – pulverizing it in one go, hopped back on his scooter, and carried on.

I have the utmost respect for this man, as I know I wouldn’t have the balls to do that myself.

Same respect for the guy in the video.

Why is euthanizes in quotation marks in the title?

because normally euthanasia refers to using lethal injections.

because normally euthanasia refers to using lethal injections.[/quote]

On what planet??? :loco:

euthanasia
[yoo-thuh-ney-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh]
noun
Also called mercy killing. the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, especially a painful, disease or condition.
painless death.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/euthanasia

[quote=“Rocket”]
euthanasia
[yoo-thuh-ney-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh]
noun
Also called mercy killing. the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, especially a painful, disease or condition.
painless death.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/euthanasia[/quote]

Well, the actual word itself means good death. A good death for non-Klingons would ideally involve no pain. The best way we know how to achieve that is through lethal injection. Mercy killing is the word’s extended meaning, as it relieves pain already being suffered. I don’t know how good a death it is to have one’s skull crushed by Groot, but it’s not the first image the word euthanasia evokes.

You could have deliberately run it over again, to finish it off, but that’s hard to do and you have to either interpret and react accurately and quickly, or go back.

Quite tough to go back.

I saw a contorted cat in similar circs, easier to run over, but it took me quite a while to make myself go back, and then I couldn’t find it.

I have killed an injured deer with a knife, but I’m not sure I’d do it again. Seemed to take a very long time, and no one involved was having any fun.