Nantou rocks!

Just spent the day driving around Nanotou, Puli outskirts, visited a great environmental project area called Taomi. Have to say Nantou is an under appreciated county as is the Puli region, lots of beautiful fruit and veg being grown everywhere, fresh water, fresh air, blue skies, fantastic scenery! Just got some passion fruit, mushrooms, cabbages and a bunch of other weird and wonderful stuff from there.
Let’s have a shoutout from anybody living in Nantou!

Oh, I was hoping this was a geology lesson. But yes, beautiful area.

That area is really beautiful. We stayed near ChingJing Farm, which was a tourist trap, but we did some hiking in the surrounding mountains. Gorgeous!

Any more info on this?

Here’s some cool stuff we saw in Nantou.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=74858&hilit=elementary+school+nantou

yeah it is great, I stayed with some fiends living in a village just outside Nantou town(city?) and the scenery was beautiful. I’d move there if there was any work.

Any more info on this?[/quote]

It’s near Chi-Nan University, just south of Puli on National 21. It’s an ecopark jobby , you can walk around and look at the lotus ponds, farms, very well blended in with the environment, the water is extremely clean, you can see fish swimming in the fields and ponds, load of frogs, insects etc. You can really get a sense of the bountiful nature of Taiwan from this. The surrounding area has passion fruit farms, orange farms, mushroom farms, banana farms, tree farms, flower farms, bamboo farms…you name it they grow it.
There’s a cofeeshop there too and plenty of B&Bs in the area if one wanted to stay the night, a good stop off in the Puli area or if on the way to Sun Moon Lake etc.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Here’s some cool stuff we saw in Nantou.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=74858&hilit=elementary+school+nantou[/quote]

Nice, we have been to that suspension bridge before and the top of that waterfall before, it’s quite a walk down and up again! This time of year is excellent for sightseeing, not so humid nor steaming hot and also no typhoons.

The ecopark stuff around Taomi didn’t overwhelm me, but I did like the Paper Church they reassembled (originally it stood in Kobe, Japan):

bradttaiwan.blogspot.com/2009/11 … hurch.html

It is just a nice walk in the countryside especially with young kids, the weather was fantastic yesterday though so that helped. In contrast, I was extremely underwhelmed by their paper church, where I struggled to find any paper except for some strings hanging down!
I dropped into their ‘Hua Bo’ Nantou flower exposition…which was a bunch of fields with flowers growing in them and a fair beside it. Wasn’t too bad for something that was free I guess. Just up from there is a crazy megalomaniac Buddhist monastery, full of Chinese tourists , no need to go to China, just let China come to you.

Any more info on this?[/quote]

It’s near Chi-Nan University, just south of Puli on National 21. It’s an ecopark jobby , you can walk around and look at the lotus ponds, farms, very well blended in with the environment, the water is extremely clean, you can see fish swimming in the fields and ponds, load of frogs, insects etc. You can really get a sense of the bountiful nature of Taiwan from this. The surrounding area has passion fruit farms, orange farms, mushroom farms, banana farms, tree farms, flower farms, bamboo farms…you name it they grow it.
There’s a cofeeshop there too and plenty of B&Bs in the area if one wanted to stay the night, a good stop off in the Puli area or if on the way to Sun Moon Lake etc.[/quote]

Thanks, will take a look next time I’m down that way.