Napping on the Desk/table

So I come in to the office at 8:40 am and there’s my colleague, supposedly a Senior Manager, sitting in his cubicle, head on desk, purportedly taking a nap. You know the routine . . .

My opinion (btw, don’t look down that girl’s pants, that’s irrelevant, pay attention), and I acknowledge it’s just my opinion and others are welcome to feel differently about the matter: he’s a fucking weenie. What the hell, it’s not 2:30 am, the day is well begun. And I know he didn’t go out and get plastered last night so he’s suffering from a hangover (he doesn’t drink). So what’s the fucking matter with him? Ok, maybe his baby cried all night, so he didn’t sleep much. Or maybe his inlaws didn’t leave till late last night. Boo hoo fucking hoo. I often get up very early and don’t get more than 5 hours of sleep or so, but I don’t need to take a freaking nap at my desk.

My further opinion: he (and 99% of Taiwan’s head on the desk/table nappers) doesn’t do it because he’s tired and wants to catch up on his sleep; he does it because he (and the rest of his ilk) wants to show everyone “oh, man, I work so hard, I stay up so late, I’m such a crazy night animal that now I’m exhausted.” Well I don’t buy it at all. To me it just says, “I’m a little fucking weenie who wants to show you what a crazy animal I am, but in reality I’m just a little wimp.” (Incidentally, he is a very skinny, sickly guy, but all kinds of weenies play the little I’m so tired nap game in Taiwan.)

As I said, that’s just my opinion. So, keep in mind, if you do head on desk/table napping in front of me, I definitely won’t be impressed.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]So I come in to the office at 8:40 am and there’s my colleague, supposedly a Senior Manager, sitting in his cubicle, head on desk, purportedly taking a nap. You know the routine . . .

My opinion (btw, don’t look down that girl’s pants, that’s irrelevant, pay attention), and I acknowledge it’s just my opinion and others are welcome to feel differently about the matter: he’s a fucking weenie. What the hell, it’s not 2:30 am, the day is well begun. And I know he didn’t go out and get plastered last night so he’s suffering from a hangover (he doesn’t drink). So what’s the fucking matter with him? Ok, maybe his baby cried all night, so he didn’t sleep much. Or maybe his inlaws didn’t leave till late last night. Boo hoo fucking hoo. I often get up very early and don’t get more than 5 hours of sleep or so, but I don’t need to take a freaking nap at my desk.

My further opinion: he (and 99% of Taiwan’s head on the desk/table nappers) doesn’t do it because he’s tired and wants to catch up on his sleep; he does it because he (and the rest of his ilk) wants to show everyone “oh, man, I work so hard, I stay up so late, I’m such a crazy night animal that now I’m exhausted.” Well I don’t buy it at all. To me it just says, “I’m a little fucking weenie who wants to show you what a crazy animal I am, but in reality I’m just a little wimp.” (Incidentally, he is a very skinny, sickly guy, but all kinds of weenies play the little I’m so tired nap game in Taiwan.)

As I said, that’s just my opinion. So, keep in mind, if you do head on desk/table napping in front of me, I definitely won’t be impressed.[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: Couldn’t have said it better myself.

:bravo: Nothing more to add. You’ve said it all.

What? I wasn’t paying attention.

Do I see butt crack?

I disagree with your opinion. I used to think table napping was weird in my company until I realized how fucked most of my coworkers schedules actually were.

Commute 30-45 minutes to office
Start work at 9AM
Work until 10 or 11PM
45 Minutes home
Brief family time
Sleep

Repeat endlessly.

That sort of schedule will eventually make you able to sleep any time you stop moving.

Same problem here, MT. I have colleagues putting up notices like, “12h00 - 13h00: Do not disturbing - drinking tea”. And God forbid you need some urgent question answered when they are napping. Useless cnuts, IMHO.

Guess I’m still old school: I sleep when it’s dark. Dark as in no sun, fucking night time. When I’m in the office, anywhere from 5AM to 8PM, I fucking work. No time for ‘taking a napping’.

[quote=“Anubis”]Same problem here, MT. I have colleagues putting up notices like, "12h00 - 13h00: …
Guess I’m still old school: I sleep when it’s dark. Dark as in no sun, fucking night time. When I’m in the office, anywhere from 5AM to 8PM, I fucking work. No time for ‘taking a napping’.[/quote]

I guess you don’t take smoking or lunch breaks either. I work pretty hard but I make it clear that if I am eating lunch in the office(rare) I will not discuss work. If the contract specifies lunch time, then I have lunch time.

I’ve always looked upon the Taiwanese ability to sleep anywhere and anytime with great admiration. I wish I could do it!

I agree with you wholeheartedly! This table napping shit reminds me of kindergarten children, not adults. I remember the first time I went to the Foreign Affairs Police to handle some paperwork during lunch hour and I noticed Lieutenant Wang, Major Lee, and Captain Chen all with their wee little police officer heads down on their desks taking their little naps. The only thing I could think at the time was, “What a bunch of puss out cops!” I still feel that way! The civil servants in other agencies like postal workers do it too.

Well that’s the thing. I don’t believe they’re actually sleeping. Most of them are simply acting – trying to impress you with how exhausted they are because they work so hard. Do you really believe all those pimply dorks with their faces planted on the tables at McD are sleeping. Not me. Not for a second.

Moreover, as I said, I don’t accept the argument that they deserve some shuteye in the middle of the day due to their crazy schedules. Grow some balls, weenies. I work like a dog, myself, but when I’m in the office I work and when I’m in a restaurant I eat. Sleep should be done at night in bed.

Oh and djlowballer, it does bother me when I’m interrupted during my lunch hour, I do believe that should be sacred personal time, but when you get a serious job with serious responsibilities, sometimes ones superiors will require you to work during the lunch hour and that just goes with the territory. I don’t like it, but I accept it when it happens.

I don’t accept it. Ever. Employers are like creeper vines. If one isn’t careful they will get their roots into every aspect of your life. If something comes up that makes working during normal lunch necessary, then sure I will work during the lunch time. After the situation passes I will go take my lunch break.

Yea, whatever. I work for a global company with billions of US dollars in annual revenue. If our CEO calls me during lunch time with a question, I can’t tell him, “sorry I’m napping, can you call back later.”

If you are working for a billion dollar multi-national and regularly take calls from the CEO. You are an executive or up in that part of the company. Executive work is different and the pay/contract usually implies 24 hour availability. And honestly, congrats. I have a lot of respect for those who can break into the executive of a multi-national. I have a “Mentor” here who tells me about how much work it takes to get there. It is damn impressive.

I work for a multi-billion dollar company in an innovation, research, and architect role. My solutions and work directly affect product lines across the company. I would never get a call during lunch because I leave my phone in the office. If they want to fire me for that, It would not really bother me. At any given point I have offers from at least 2 other companies on the table.

To be fair though, I think 1-1.5 hour lunches are strange. In Germany they were cool because they actually shortened the day. Here they just add 1.5 hours to the day. If you know your work is going to make you have overtime, why would you waste extra time at lunch if you didn’t have to?

In the morning at the very beginning of the work day, IMO that’s a bit odd. Our office workers tend to go for the sleep/rest on the desk bit over lunch hour after they’ve biandang’ed themselves into oblivion and I have no problem with it, but I’m not sure I’d stand for that right out the gate in the morning. MT, couldn’t your company direct some of those billions in revenue to upgrade your office out of the 1980’s? CRT monitors in this day and age, oh the humanity. :wink:

Ha! I hadn’t noticed that. Actually, that’s not a photo of our office; I only pulled that off the intraweb to show what I’m talking about. That is funny though. I wonder if it’s an old photo. We’ve all got LCDs here.

Exactly.
Besides, 8.40 AM is no time to put your head down and rest :loco: Siesta time, I can understand, that 20 mins of cat napping refreshes you (maybe) but first thing in the morning??? eeewwww…

[quote=“djlowballer”]I disagree with your opinion. I used to think table napping was weird in my company until I realized how fucked most of my coworkers schedules actually were.

Commute 30-45 minutes to office
Start work at 9AM
Work until 10 or 11PM
45 Minutes home
Brief family time
Sleep

Repeat endlessly.

That sort of schedule will eventually make you able to sleep any time you stop moving.[/quote]
Yep. I became a big fan of napping when my work day stretched from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm. Add time with the rug rat to the end of that, an hour or some for outside obligations, an hour to wind down at the end of it, and I was hitting the sack at 2:00 am, consistently. Have retrenched recently, dropping some jobs, retooling the schedule, and life is better. But I wouldn’t have survived without power naps and the 7’ sofa in my office.

Exactly.
Besides, 8.40 AM is no time to put your head down and rest :loco: Siesta time, I can understand, that 20 mins of cat napping refreshes you (maybe) but first thing in the morning??? eeewwww…[/quote]

I often find myself crashing -literally- on my desk at midmorning. From 10 to 11 am there is this growing fuzz in my brain that either makes me hit my forehead on the keyboard or write stupidities that give me a shock later on when editing. No coffee can clear it up.

Note: this is not while the World Cup is on.

As to midday power naps, I am a fan. I have a special chair you can lie on and strech completely. Heaven! That position in the pictures, lying on the desks on your face and belly is bad for your health.

8am nap? :loco:

Actually, this afternoon siesta is a habit they picked up from grade school, I believe. My kids have to do the mandatory nap everyday,five days a week in school.So, old habits die hard, I suppose.