National Health Insurance while unemployed

Next year, after I get my APRC, I plan on quitting work for one year to study Chinese full time. I’ve read through some of the postings here and it seems that signing up to pay by myself will be easy–just visit my local NHI administration office.

I’m trying to budget how much the NHI will actually cost me. According to this, I think I’ll be either category 5 (“Low Income” 0% contribution) or category 6 (“Other” 60% contribution). Further information states:

Has anyone else paid for NHI while unemployed? If so, which category did you fall in, and was this your premium cost?

I’ll contact the NHI as the time gets nearer, but I thought I’d ask any here who might be familiar with this.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know because i go through the company my wife works for … I always wondered how to do it when I had to go that way.

Hey Steve,

I did the same thing after I got my APRC. Just go to the NHI office by taipei main station (I think it’s the fifth floor), tell them you don’t have a job and then wait around for about half an hour while everyone talks to each other to figure out what to do with you :laughing:
After that, they’ll tell you to go home and wait for your bills, which you can pay at the 7-11 just like anything else. I was charged $749 a month, although the first month was twice that because I didn’t change things over as soon as I left my job. It’s actually a pretty easy and painless process.

2 Likes

[quote=“Tiare”]Hey Steve,

I did the same thing after I got my APRC. Just go to the NHI office by taipei main station (I think it’s the fifth floor), tell them you don’t have a job and then wait around for about half an hour while everyone talks to each other to figure out what to do with you :laughing:
After that, they’ll tell you to go home and wait for your bills, which you can pay at the 7-11 just like anything else. I was charged $749 a month, although the first month was twice that because I didn’t change things over as soon as I left my job. It’s actually a pretty easy and painless process.[/quote]
Great, that’s just the information I was looking for. Thanks!

No problem :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tiare”]Hey Steve,

wait around for about half an hour while everyone talks to each other to figure out what to do with you :laughing:
[/quote]
For some reason that made me :laughing: . Sums up about 90% of my dealings with officials over here.

1 Like

Link to NHI enrollment page:

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … &WD_ID=593

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Link to NHI enrollment page:

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … &WD_ID=593[/quote]
Thanks Belgian Pie. That’s where I had found most of my information, but couldn’t figure out which “lazy unemployed” category I would fit in, LOL.

wrong post

Wish it was this simple and easy in the U.S.

that is great news. I’m quitting my job ( :discodance: ) and was worried about the health insurance during the 6 months of ARC extension. I’ll guess I’ll visit the NHI office and it all will go nice and smooth then (fingers crossed).

But don’t forget to get a private ‘hospitalization’ insurance … because not all is paid back when ending up in the hospital. It can be expensive!

Did anyone do this recently? Updated NHI after changing from employed to unemployed?

I expect nowadays we can probably do this online, assuming our NHI card is registered for online services.

Anything else to consider?

I plan to stay in Taiwan for a few weeks unemployed, before starting employment outside of Taiwan. My spouse (currently insured as dependent) will stay in Taiwan for a bit longer, then also move abroad.

I guess we both should change NHI to unemployed, and when moving abroad then pause it. Hopefully both online. Also maybe have some additional insurance, just in case.

If not possible online, then probably need to go to the local administration office, from this doc

1. If you are unemployed, and cannot enroll as a legal dependent of a relative
    (i.e., parents, spouses, or children), then the administrative office of the
    village, township, city or area where your household was registered would
    become your insurance registration organization. Please enroll in the health
    insurance program through that office.

While my wife was unemployed and not yet on my work NHI, this was her premium. Or it was 700 something anyway.

EDIT: just now realized this is a very old post

2 Likes

Right, it’s gone up since that post. Now I pay $826 per month on my own without an employer’s contribution.

4 Likes

You fall into category 6, where you are covered under the HHR office. You must pay NHI even unemployed. It sucks because it’s basically a regressive tax.

Yeah, that’s the current amount when you don’t have local income.

It’s pretty reasonable for what it covers, IMO. Please stop moaning. :yawning_face:

1 Like

I seems membership in the USMC or some other military unit gives one the license to be an asshole.

I’m not sure if you were calling me an asshole there, but if you were and I am one, I became so without any military training.

1 Like