National Holidays 2015

[quote=“headhonchoII”]If you are working for a private employer, it’s a public holiday.

This looks like some bullshit email from the boss, watch your fellow workers go to work and Play with Facebook all day as they seethe in the corner. Welcome to Taiwan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

What a pleasant and smart to spend 8 hours on a Friday… :frowning:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I think government workers don’t get a day off because they are not private sector scum labourers like most of us and they get 10 or 20 or 30 days off a year anyway.

Word.

"We do not sweat in our jobs and we do not do manual labor so hell if we are getting May 1st off. Moreover, that is a Communist idea, May 1st is a Communist celebration, we cannot celebrate that in Taiwan, bla bla bla… In the good old times we worked on Saturdays and it was good because we got more pay and now we get less money and anyways we do overtime until 8 or 9 or 10 pm, whenever the boss leaves. You do not need a holiday, if you do, take days off from your own vacation time but if you do be prepared to be given the stinky eye and remember to ask for permission ahead of time because we need you at your desk no matter what because there is a minimum of hot bodies required to maintain this office open or else we’ll all be fired which we may anyways as everyone knows people are lining up for these jobs but you can’t complain because you make more than the section chief… " Bla bla bla…

ps.
don’t forget to leave your phone on anyways because we’ll call you if we need you.

[quote=“marghini”][color=#FF0000]Dear all,

104年5月1日(星期五),依勞動基準法第37條規定應放假1日;惟事務所為實施週休二日制之事業單位【每日工作8小時;單週正常工時40小時】,行事曆比照政府機關「辦公日曆表」施行,依法經勞資會議通過,將五一勞動節調移至104年5月2日(星期六)休假一天。

5月1日當天須出勤,請同仁準時上班。
We are not off on May 1st Labor Day. Please make sure you come to work on time.[/color]

This is the email my boss sent to all the employees. I guess in Taiwan whatever the laoban wants is more important than the law…[/quote]

Actually, the cherry on top is that your boss states on his email that, since it was recently approved the law -last week or two- that says that workers do 40 hours working weeks here in Taiwan, that means that Saturday May 2nd is a holiday, so basically he argues he cannot give you two holidays/days off in a row -bad enough for business having one, I guess.

And then they wonder why their companies are doing so bad.

No wonder everybody is confused by a)government fuckwittery, b)shit journalism…details?!? and c) compliant citizens

I checked our holiday roster this year there are 11 days including May 1st (not sure where they get 12 from). This year at least they used the long weekend system.

NOBODY gets these so called full 19 working holidays that they talk about because they are already optional on behalf of the employers, so there is actually no significant change as far as I can see.

What rubbish all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“headhonchoII”]No wonder everybody is confused by a)government fuckwittery, b)shit journalism…details?!? and c) compliant citizens

I checked our holiday roster this year there are 11 days including May 1st (not sure where they get 12 from). This year at least they used the long weekend system.

NOBODY gets these so called full 19 working holidays that they talk about because they are already optional on behalf of the employers, so there is actually no significant change as far as I can see.

What rubbish all round.

I don’t think my English vocabulary contains enough words for me to express how sick I am of this work environment. Literally counting days till the end of my contract.

I wonder what would happen if that email “accidentally” got anonymously forwarded to the labor bureau.

I wonder if they can enforce the time off for the workers?

[quote=“marghini”][quote=“headhonchoII”]No wonder everybody is confused by a)government fuckwittery, b)shit journalism…details?!? and c) compliant citizens

What rubbish all round.

I don’t think my English vocabulary contains enough words for me to express how sick I am of this work environment. Literally counting days till the end of my contract.[/quote]
I only have 2 more working days left :discodance:. Shit thing is that my contract finishes on May 4th which means after the long weekend I need to come into the office on the Monday for my last day.

[quote=“dinowilson”][quote=“marghini”][quote=“headhonchoII”]No wonder everybody is confused by a)government fuckwittery, b)shit journalism…details?!? and c) compliant citizens

What rubbish all round.

I don’t think my English vocabulary contains enough words for me to express how sick I am of this work environment. Literally counting days till the end of my contract.[/quote]
I only have 2 more working days left :discodance:. Shit thing is that my contract finishes on May 4th which means after the long weekend I need to come into the office on the Monday for my last day.[/quote]

Man I am jealous!! I still have three months to go :doh:

Are you leaving Taiwan afterwards or just looking for another job on the island?

[quote=“marghini”]

Man I am jealous!! I still have three months to go :doh:

Are you leaving Taiwan afterwards or just looking for another job on the island?[/quote]
My previous company in Australia has contacted me to see if I am interested in doing some work in the Philippines for around 6 months. So now I am waiting on a phone call to set up some travel dates and discuss a salary. After that is finished I will see what my girlfriend wants to do because she is Taiwanese. So I might end up back here or maybe I will stay on with my previous company and she might decide to come to Australia with me again.