National Immigration Agency scams in Jiayi

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2007/08/07/117302/The-National.htm

From the China Post: “National Immigration Agency officer under probe for scam”

It’s enough to drive a man to drink.

[quote=“almas john”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2007/08/07/117302/The-National.htm

From the China Post: “National Immigration Agency officer under probe for scam”

It’s enough to drive a man to drink.[/quote]

What shocked me about this story was not that some two-bit cop in a town inhabited by habitually drunk foreign layabouts (:wink:) is “allegedly” as bent as a nine-bob note, but rather the awful nature of what passes for writing in a national paper.

Is the Post too cheap to employ proofreaders? :idunno:

No, no, the China Post is a provincial paper, it’s all there in the title.

HG

AJ -
It appears this is but the tip of an on-going power struggle with the NIA vs NPA.
Seems some shifting about of individuals under investigation for this sort of thing has happened. Corruption on all levels it appears with some “face saving” (Its not our personnel!) being attempted.

Prosecutors raid NIA office
[i]"In the latest corruption scandal to rock the National Immigration Agency (NIA), prosecutors from the Chiayi District Prosecutors Office raided an agency office yesterday in Chiayi County morning and took the office director into custody on suspicion of collusion with human traffickers, agency officials said.

" In a Taipei Times exclusive in April, Wu placed the blame for that month’s case on the National Police Agency (NPA), alleging that the NPA had quietly transferred many officers it knew were under investigation for corruption to the newly formed NIA to use as leverage against immigration authorities, a charge the NPA has denied.

Established in January, the NIA is waging turf wars with the NPA over which agency has jurisdiction in busting certain human-trafficking rings, Wu said at the time.

The NPA has decided against informing the NIA about which officers with a questionable service record had been transferred so that the NPA can instigate raids against them and plunge the NIA into controversy at will, Wu alleged.

It’s a conspiracy,” Wu had said during the April interview."[/i]

Forget about it Wu…Its Taiwan as usual…

[quote=“almas john”]
It’s enough to drive a man to drink.[/quote]

You need an excuse? :s