National Public Holidays

Dear All

I would like to seek your help/comments for following issue about National Holiday Regulations.

The company I am working for decided that all holidays this year which are given on Monday or Friday according to the new rule that in case a public holiday is on weekend shall be made up by an additional working day on Saturday before or after. This results in having to work on 5 Saturdays this year.

I wonder if this is in line with regulations? From my understanding public holidays should be non working days without need to make them up another day…

Do you know which government office is responsible for that to get an official feedback?

Thanks
Florian

That doesn’t sound right that you would have to make up for national holidays that fall on the weekend. I know that some companies give employees an extra day holiday here an there to add on to existing national holidays but sometimes need to make up for it. For example the day after New Year’s was a Friday so alot of companies gave their employees the Friday off aswell but some employees depending on their company needed to make up for it by working on on the 27th Dec because it wasn’t a national holiday.
Maybe you should try contacting the Ministry of Labor http://english.mol.gov.tw/cgi-bin/siteMaker/SM_theme?page=52f34260

Thank you,
I wrote an email to the Ministry of Labor, hopefully will get some answer.

My company argues somehow that it all depends on the different industries and that normal working hours should be 84 hours in 2 weeks, thus the days should have to made up. Though last year it was not the case and my contract clearly states 5 days with 40 hours per week.
Really strange…

Your boss is a dick. I wish some of my staff had worked at companies like yours - maybe then they’d cut me some fucking slack and be a bit more appreciative about things like their holiday allowance (which is enormous as far as I can see).

Soooo… The new rule allows people still enjoy a day off if a holiday falls in the weekend. Your boss then wants to take this day back again… FOR REAL :doh: :loco:

[quote=“xiaofei”]Thank you,
I wrote an email to the Ministry of Labor, hopefully will get some answer.

My company argues somehow that it all depends on the different industries and that normal working hours should be 84 hours in 2 weeks, thus the days should have to made up. Though last year it was not the case and my contract clearly states 5 days with 40 hours per week.
Really strange…[/quote]
How many people work at your company? Surely not everyone are like sheep and accepts what your company says about this.

We have around 170 people so not really small. Though my colleagues seems to be to accept it, strangely.
I am the only foreigner thus I wanted to get first more clarity about the issue before I go to HR…

We have around 170 people so not really small. Though my colleagues seems to be to accept it, strangely.
I am the only foreigner thus I wanted to get first more clarity about the issue before I go to HR…[/quote]
Yeh dealing with HR here can be tricky especially for us foreigners. Need to make sure you are asking the right things so they can understand what you are talking about or else they give you a funny look of “I don’t understand what the problem is”.
So I am guessing the Ministry of Labor hasn’t responded back yet?