Nationality in the Face of a CCP Invasion

Because you’re only seeing what you want to see, which is what you’ve been doing with all your responses. First, a foreigner in the eyes of Taiwanese is anyone who doesn’t look Chinese enough or has features that don’t follow Chinese looks. Because a child I have happened to be born with blue eyes and light hair, every nurse in the hospital called him “the foreigner.”

Second, to answer your question more directly, any of my children who end up having Taiwanese citizenship will be on my list of “renunciations to do.” They’re foreign because of me. They 1. won’t learn Taiwanese culture, 2. won’t learn to write traditional Chinese, and 3. won’t go to school here. But… I can’t apply for a foreign passport if all I have is birth certificates in Chinese. That will take some time. Once we leave on their foreign passport (mine), we will process their renunciation immediately after arrival back home. Then they’ll no longer be Taiwanese. But, actually, my wife refuses to have a Taiwanese-born child in general. So, I guess some child will be free of the process.

1 Like

Your children will not be able to leave on their “foreign passport” they will have to leave on their ROC passports the first time they leave Taiwan. First you claim they are not Taiwanese but foreigners and now you claim you want to have them renounce their ROC citizenship after you leave Taiwan. What if the mother of the children does not agree to them renouncing ROC citizenship?

1 Like

She already has a Taiwanese born child though. I guess she could give it away for adoption.

I think what I meant to say is that they’ll be arriving at our destination on their foreign passports. After that, we’ll be making a visit to the local ROC office to initiate the process. You can’t do the process in Taiwan.

This identity issue is quite a headache to deal with, ngl. What makes a Taiwanese person Taiwanese? Possession of a passport doesn’t define a person. A person’s knowledge of the language and culture usually are considered the defining qualities of a person’s “origins.” For example, you can raise a Japanese kid in Taiwan but the kid is still considered Japanese by peers and others. This is especially true if the child has a slight accent. If you look like a mixed Chinese person, but you don’t have a Chinese name in your passport, and you speak the language of your passport and you live in the society of your passport, are you Chinese first and foremost? I’d argue not. We had this situation with a dark-skinned Youtuber who was born and raised in Russia. He wasn’t even mixed. Regardless of physical features, he’s Russian above all. You can tell by his accent and his manners. No one ever questions him.

Because neither of us actually want much to do with Taiwan. Over time, she has changed her stance from “I want to keep Taiwanese citizenship only because that’s what I feel close to” to “I’ll give it up for getting the same passport as you.”

Technically if that didn’t happen, we wouldn’t have known what we know now! It was a learning lesson.

Seems you have had a lot of learning lessons in Taiwan. :grinning:

If you want to renounce ROC nationality the law allows this.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0030001

It will be processed in Taiwan by Ministry of Interior though as an overseas mission cannot do that.

Yes, but we can’t do it while being in Taiwan. Am I wrong? Everything gets sent back to the Ministry of the Interior of Taiwan where they do the approving.

Many that could have been avoided. I sometimes question whether I was a fool for coming to study in Taiwan. Should have gone to China instead… smh.

You could have but if you think China would have been any better you would be wrong. Foreign spouses of PRC citizens do not get automatic work rights and the English Teaching has been basically stopped. You would have been locked into your apartment during covid.

1 Like

I have a few friends, though, that continued to teach there during their time. I’m just thinking it may have been better for me to study there because the politics aren’t as bad as in Taiwan. If I went there, anyway, I could get a work permit as a student. I used to have it like that in Taiwan, too.

There are no politics in China. Having political views get you landed in prison and you being “re-educated”

1 Like

You’re allowed to hate the west, but i have it on good authority that if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person you can get a note on your file with the provincial government which can cause problems with work permit renewal. At least, that was the case about 20 years ago…

The only places with no politics have 1 or fewer people

Maybe that’s a good thing. It’s just the way it used to be in the USSR as I recall. It means people won’t incessantly talk about foreigners, China, or things related to what the US is doing. Because doing that could land you into police’s hands.

That’s pretty unsurprising (to me personally). Thing is, if I speak of my own views, I don’t hate the West “as is.” There are certain things I don’t like such as hypocrisy. And I’m not a huge fan of “forced” globalization that is on the West’s terms along with the sucking up to the US as if it’s some sort of god-sanctioned role model. When I was in school, I remember learning that the definition of corruption and what the corruption index really is highly depends on the people who define it. If slavery, for example, is legal, then it means there’s nothing wrong with the country. But laws =/= morality, so… make your own conclusions.

When I was there they would talk about foreigners all the time. Sometimes people I didn’t know at the next table inna restaurant would start talking about the foreigners and me assuming I couldn’t understand them. Once a soldier approached me on a train to discuss the western invasion of China (which was quite a bit before my time). Discussion of the US will be plentiful, but mostly negative

Best not to take the chance, in China

You should start learning about the CCP, and pay attention to the things their spokespeople say. You’ll find the only reason this isn’t an issue for you now is you don’t know enough about China

Again, China is not better. If anything, worse

These are the kinds of lessons people don’t learn in China, because it might cause people to question authority

1 Like

Do they discriminate the same way the Taiwanese do?

I wouldn’t talk about anything in China. I’m not new to USSR-like governments.

It can’t be much different than the USSR. My family would often talk about certain things and say not to talk about it in public. As I mentioned, nothing new to me and nothing that bothers me.

China may be better for a student. I don’t know about anything else. And I say this because in China I doubt they talk about Taiwan’s status non-stop.

I’m aware. But… I’m the inquisitive kind. I could figure things out on my own without going to school. I read a lot of books (I should say that I used to read a lot of books–nowadays I just have no time).

Where did you live before?

Baltics & Russia, lol.

1 Like

Far worse but hey go and live in China. It is apparent you have not had a happy time in Taiwan with your posts on social media. I’m sure mother Russia will welcome you back with loving arms.

1 Like

Yes, it does. I have a Canadian passport; I am Canadian. My children have both Canadian and Taianese citizenship; they are Canadian and Taiwanese ciyizens. It’s not that difficuit to understand.

I believe his issue is that as his child has blue eyes and light coloured hair a nurse called his child a foreigner. If that is enough to cause one to be triggered then nothing much we can do about that. When my son was around 2 or 3 years old he had lovely curly hair. People would come up and comment on how cute my daughter was only for me to reply I don’t have a daughter. They would ask me whose child I was with? Mine!!! I would reply, my son. We’d all have a laugh. Those foreigner mixed kids so cute they would say.

Lucid wants to make sure his children and wife renounce their ROC citizenship so they won’t be confused as being foreigners when they live overseas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder what China is going to make of white guys with Taiwan passports if it succeeds in thwarting Taiexit?