Nationality in the Face of a CCP Invasion

Your child born in Taiwan to a Taiwanese citizen mother one day might like to have ROC citizenship again and live in Taiwan. Nothing racist about it. What a poor comment to claim it is racist when being Taiwanese citizen has nothing to do with race.

It is not about a victory it is about you posting things that are simply wrong and correcting that. People can read what you wrote then they go on reddit and make the same claim copying what you wrote cause " they read it on the internet" Just like you read stuff on reddit and make mistakes because you do not understand the law. You are always talking about the law being black and white.

Taiwan not racist? Taiwan is super racist. If not racist then xenophobic as fk. Foreigners and permanent residents are treated by the government as second class. I didn’t feel this way in the US. But the government here actively doesn’t allow foreigners to do anything online or through their systems and there are always stupid rules along the way that you have to follow or else. For example, you moved? Great. You need to change your ARC ASAP. You want to get your tax info? You need to go to the office in person because your ID number won’t work online. Want to claim some kind of credit thing? Can’t do it online because the government system won’t let you with your funny number.

Taiwanese laws are black and white, so I’m black and white about it. This “country” is founded on authoritarianism. It’s literally just China from 100 years ago but with more freedoms.

OH and let’s not forget: my licenses all have my Latin character names on them. Why’s that? Why they make me get a Chinese name only to use my Latin character name instead? HMM? It’s obvious that it’s related to discrimination. I’ve never seen anything like this anywhere I’ve been to where documents are deliberately different. This is in stark contrast to other countries.

Yes which is why I got all my immigration clients to send their sons our of Taiwan first on student visa’s then have them switch to PR visa’s outside of Taiwan. They had to leave before they turned 16 if they were males. Then when they came back they were allowed to leave as long as they did not “reside” in Taiwan. Many returned on foreign passports with slightly different passport names.

My son used to have NHI in Taiwan. It was de-activated when he had lived outside of Taiwan for 2 years. Not sure if HH is the same.

1 Like

no. Once you get HHR, to lose nationality is the only way to lose the HHR.

1 Like

Again this is moving the goal posts. This is what you wrote

It’s like if you gave up your ROC citizenship, you can get it back. Why is that even a thing? “Once Chinese, always Chinese?” That’s racist.

So your sentence is claiming that being allowed to get citizenship back is racist when it has nothing to do with being “Chinese” or someone’s race. My wife is not Chinese, her family is not “Chinese” I am not Chinese. My wife’s family history in Taiwan goes back thousands of years. Before any Chinese set foot on this island.

A lot of the foreigners here are ethnically Chinese. Some are born in China but grew up other countries and moved to Taiwan on their foreign passports. Some people with Taiwanese heritage do not have ROC nationality or citizenship. Some have Taiwan national passports but live and work here on their foreign passports. Lucky for those males they cannot be drafted. So racist lol

Same for citizens not just foreigners. So how is that racist or xenophobic. Same rule for all residents.

Just inquiring, that’s all.

How’s this for moving goal posts then: Considering that ROC is as an establishment technically a colonizer and an illegitimate government for many aboriginals (and as you said, your family’s history goes back thousands of years ago before ROC set its foot on this island, and that means you certainly don’t need to be colonized by the Chinese, do you?), everything that the ROC does right now is simply “anti-China” while maintaining its own idea of what Chinese means (with laws that specifically and unfavorably target the mainlanders). So… considering how hard it is to get Taiwanese citizenship, and considering how desperate Taiwan is to retain its numbers, of course it makes sense that it would allow you to get your citizenship back. Many countries aren’t like that. I know if I gave up my Baltic passport, that’d be the end. There are only two exceptions: obtaining a passport from an approved country, and having had your citizenship renounced as a result of parental action. There are no other reasons that the government would accept in my particular case.

It is when they have a law that literally says (in my words):

1. If you’re a foreigner who naturalized, you cannot serve in government for ten years. (GUESS WHAT IT IS IN AMERICA? zero!)
  2. If you’re a previous Taiwan-born Taiwanese who renounced, you cannot serve in government for three years after re-acquiring citizenship.

Tell me that’s not discriminatory.

That’s a lie. There is no law that says that the ARC with an address change has to be changed immediately or face fines. My wife never had to do that. She kept her residence in Taipei even when we lived elsewhere all around New Taipei and on the east side.

Nothing new there so does my son’s. Only his first name though lol.

ok

I asked if Taiwan was racist. It looks to me that way. You can see that it’s racist by the black jokes they make on their cups.

I have friends who were fined for not doing so.

Fines were suspended during covid

araujobsd

Jul 2021

Changing address you have 2 weeks to notify NIA and update your address in your ARC! If I remember well, the penalty is 15000NTD.

1 Like

u have some examples also in the west. In the US u have US nationals and US citizens.

US citizens are all US nationals but the reverse is not true. ppl born or connected only to US Samoa are US nationals but not citizens, they have restrictions on living permanently in any other part of the US and if they want to become citizen they need to follow a path.

In the UK too, you have many, many classes of British nationality (legacy of colonialism) and very few are full British Citizens with right of abode and vote in the UK. A very common example is the British Nationals (Overseas) or BNO, the nationality class created for HK folks during the handover period. If they registered, they are considered nationals (so not aliens), can enter the UK without a visa for brief periods but need visas to settle there. Now a lot of things are changing due to the ongoing issues in HK, but to register as full citizens they need to acquire the settled status (5 years of full residence in the UK) and then they can register for full UK citizenship (not a naturalisation since their allegiance already lies in the Crown and are already nationals (i.e. subjects) of the Crown).

A lot of things seem foreign to you. Well, welcome to Asia and in particular TW. Many things are foreign here, including you, me and all the waiguoren living here. Their rules in their home are the law of the land, and we must respect them while trying to change them if inherently wrong or discriminatory.

2 Likes

First you say it’s racist and now move the goal post to discriminatory. One is not the other little grasshopper. PS if you naturalize and do not hold dual citizenship you can work for government I think you meant cannot run for election. Cannot be President or Vice President. In the US you must be a citizen for 7 years before you can run for election if you naturalize. So much discrimination in the USA. Oops.

2 Likes

Good thing he never tried Indonesia. Marry an Indonesian woman and unless they are not from Islamic faith then you have to cut your foreskin off if you are a man and become a Muslim. If you get a marriage KITAS you are NOT ALLOWED TO WORK in Indonesia unless you basically work for your wife. No teaching, no working in a business, and they even if married get caught breaching your visa you get deported. For working illegally you can get a lifetime ban.

USA was so foreign to him he renounced his US citizenship. He didn’t like it there either.

2 Likes

I have to apologize here because I wrote my sentence wrong. You definitely do have to change it immediately. I didn’t mean the ARC. You said citizens have to change ARC. But citizens don’t get an ARC.

You got me confused and I wrote something totally not what I meant.

But hang on. @Satellite_TV has a point. In Taiwan I could become president…

In the US it is impossible as I will always be considered a foreigner :cry:

I feel discriminated against now.

My point was passport = citizenship. Yes, you do have a thing that’s national vs citizen in the US. I know. Britain uses the same retarded system as Taiwan. There are very few examples of this if I remember what I read.

This part is particularly scary because being in the wrong can mean deportation.

That’s true. If you’re not born in the US, you can’t be a president. However… you can hold every other post. The reason for this has to do with the constitution. Taiwanese laws aren’t written in the constitution regarding foreigners I believe.