Nationwide interviews with locals married to foreigners

Ms. Wang from the Ministry has sent me the “Survey Plan” mentioned in the press release I posted yesterday. A couple of notes.

1. There is no law cited authorizing the Ministry to conduct such a survey, so you can refuse to answer.

2. Item 2.2.2 is a bit sinister. It states that one of the purposes of the survey is to serve as the basis for further investigations based on sampling from the results of this survey.

3. Item 5 lists who will be surveyed. One class is “Foreign spouses who have become naturalized citizens as of 31 Augus 2003.” If a person is now a naturalized citizen, surely they are no longer a ‘foreign’ (wai4ji2) spouse.

4. Item 16.2.2 states that interviewers are to “personally deliver” the survey to the spouses and to conduct an interview ‘depending on the situation’. This would appear to rule out telephone calls. But then there is a clue as to their real intentions:

“If suspicious issues arrive that cannot be resolved on site, the interviewer shall immediately report to the case reviewer for processing. If necessary, the interviewer may ask the local police for assistance.”

So snooping around is most defintely on the agenda.

1. Item 20 states that the Ministry will fund the survey. I’d be curious to learn what funding they are using and whether it has been authorized by the Legislature.

I still don’t have the actual questionnare.

I suggest that this whole thread be moved over to the Human Rights forum.

Also the title of thread would be more accuare if it read “Innterviews with Foreign Spouses”. The Taiwanese spouses are not subjects.

Thereby illegally using the pigs to attempt to coerce the poor buggers into responding to a non-compulsory poll. God, PLEASE let them come to my house. PLEASE!

Oh, yeah, and don’t forget. They can’t do the survey by telephone because FOREIGNERS AREN’T ALLOWED TO HAVE FUCKING PHONES! Stick THAT in your damn survey, ya cretinous dunderheads!

Thereby illegally using the pigs to attempt to coerce the poor buggers into responding to a non-compulsory poll. God, PLEASE let them come to my house. PLEASE![/quote]

Precisely. Actually, I think the tone is more sinister. I would translate this as “If you think you may have found illegal aliens, please call the police so that they can come and deport them without a hearing (foreigners) or detain them indefintely (Chinese).”

Some of you seem to be under the mistaken impression that it’s the foreigners who are being interviewed - it’s not, it’s for locals who are married to foreigners only. Hence, the forms are all in Chinese.

What a wasted opportunity to find out what grieves us ‘foreign couples’, for want of a better expression.

I asked why everyone had to be interviewed, not just a sample (I tagged along out of morbid curiosity). The interviewer told us that the government was only interested in locating the tens of thousands of mainland Chinese brides who’ve got married here and then disappeared. She showed us a list of phone numbers of men married to mainland women. Ninety percent were fake numbers.

It all sounds a bit scary now :? What happens if we don’t fill the form in, or don’t talk to them on the phone ?

Screw 'em.

Welcome back Spack.

thanks Bassman - good to be back. I’ve lost my penguin though. If anyone comes across an avatar of a penguin typing on a laptop while they are surfing the net please let me knoiw. I miss my penguin.
I’ve searched for him already with no luck so far. I think he’s run off to work in a brothel with some of those irksome mainland brides.

I may have your penguin somewhere on my notebook after all those kill the penguin jokes that jeepers and I got up to. If I find it I’ll let you know and we can come to some kind of guanxi$ for penguins deal. :wink:

[quote=“Spack”]Some of you seem to be under the mistaken impression that it’s the foreigners who are being interviewed - it’s not, it’s for locals who are married to foreigners only. Hence, the forms are all in Chinese.
[/quote]

Spack, the foreign spouse is the one who is supposed to be interviewed. If the foreigner can’t commmunicate in Chinese, a family member can be interviewed instead (‘dai4da2’).The Ministry’s press release and documentation make this very clear.

It is not for locals married to foreigners. It’s for foreigners married to locals. The forms are in chinese because your local Lizhang can’t read or speak English.

I’m sure that in practice your Lizhang or local household registry employee would much prefer to speak with you wife or other Taiwanese relatives.

What if they get a relative that isn’t the sharpest knife in the draw and they end of screwing everything up for ya.

I know some that would just love airing dirty laundry with the Li Zhang. :smiling_imp:

We should all get some incriminating photo’s of out Li Zhang’s leaving “massage” shops, even if we have to get creative on our computers to do it. When they get out the forms we get out the pictures.

Seriously though, they shouldn’t be doing this kind of thing. They should have some sort of support service that we can contact when we desire. If we don’t want to make contact then there is no problem.

As for these Mainland whores that are faking marriages, somehow I don’t think Mr He could be one, so why bother talking to him?

Is there a market for man-whores?
How much could I make?

What you live in Taichung and you’ve not heard of a Friday boy? Wouldn’t be you they’d be satisfying either, more the wife. Knew a chap who was onto that several years back. He and his Taiwan missus were whores, effectively. I bought his scoot off him when he left. He said the cops started to crack down on the foreign Friday chappies. Mostly Thais, Filipinos but a smattering of white guys. Biggest hassle was having to guzzle the booze and perform.

There’s still a huge barn down in that weird area near the Pig Pen that is nothing other than a Friday boy club - well there was six months ago when a friend pointed it out to me.

HG

What you live in Taichung (Taizhong) and you’ve not heard of a Friday boy? Wouldn’t be you they’d be satisfying either, more the wife. Knew a chap who was onto that several years back. He and his Taiwan missus were whores, effectively. I bought his scoot off him when he left. He said the cops started to crack down on the foreign Friday chappies. Mostly Thais, Filipinos but a smattering of white guys. Biggest hassle was having to guzzle the booze and perform.

There’s still a huge barn down in that weird area near the Pig Pen that is nothing other than a Friday boy club - well there was six months ago when a friend pointed it out to me.

HG[/quote]

I have heard of Friday’s boys but no-one has successfully introduced me into the market.

Wait… I’m diabetic so I can’t handle the drinks, damn it. I can do the other performance pretty good though.

Many thanks to Fluffy Matt for finding my errant penguin! :smiley:

Feiren - I stand corrected. I just assumed these interviews were meant to be with the Taiwanese half of the couple because when I got the phone, the woman from the Min. of Interior asked for my wife by name. I only had to give my wife my ARC number to take to the interview. I was not even ‘invited’ to the interview.

Mod - please feel free to change the title if u think it’s necessary.

Mr. Housecat and I were just discussing last night what evil my MIL may be able to do if she gets the form or phone call. I just realized that our household registration is at her place. Husband basically said screw em. But MIL is one mean old lady and she positively hates me. What do you think?

[quote=“Feiren”]2. Item 2.2.2 is a bit sinister. It states that one of the purposes of the survey is to serve as the basis for further investigations based on sampling from the results of this survey.

“If suspicious issues arrive that cannot be resolved on site, the interviewer shall immediately report to the case reviewer for processing. If necessary, the interviewer may ask the local police for assistance.”

So snooping around is most defintely on the agenda.[/quote]Does this mean that if the interviewer or whatever has reason to believe that there may be illegal immigrants there, or the marriage is a scam, that they should call the authorities ? That sounds fair enough, does it not ?

I told the Mrs not to co-operate, and she said “Oh, that, I answered all that last week!”. I was miffed, but then she was only telling them stuff that they already knew - small town :unamused:

Just got back from the cop shop (Taoyuan) with some interesting news…

They told me that this is indeed mandatory and if you blow off this interview you most certainly will have some problems come extension time…

On the other hand, my friend called me this afternoon after doing his “interview”. He said it consisted of one question after examining the form “Do you have any children”? He didn’t, and that was it…Total time spent with this sputem? Less than 10 minutes.

To sum it up, irritating bureaucratic nonesense, but suck it up folks…it’s got to be done :?

But why the hell do they have these interviews? If your wifes and husbands would have married locals in the first place, then there wouldn’t be any interviews, so isn’t this some kind of discrimination against Taiwanese who marrie foreigners? After all you guys are married and I suppose you all therefore are living and working legally in Taiwan. So where’s the problem? If this happend here in my country I would flip…
So do something, call the news or what ever. Can this be legal??? I think it sucks and I’m sure not the only one.

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]Just got back from the cop shop (Taoyuan) with some interesting news…

They told me that this is indeed mandatory and if you blow off this interview you most certainly will have some problems come extension time…[/quote]What does it have to do with the police, why did you ask them ? I thought it was the household regisitration people doing it ?