Natto (なっとう) and Plum (Ume 梅漬) Rolls (Sushi)

Japanese chef (mostly only speaks Japanese but staff speaks Chinese/Taiwanese to translate). Great food, service is Japanese way may not be say easy going unless you speak Japanese.

香月壽司 割烹 - Google Maps

4 Likes

Chef is a little bit like Japanese version of the soup guy, but maybe also language/cultural reasons. (I also remember the last show when the “soup guy” returns)

1 Like

Sad and Happy news. Chef retired so place closed, sad, but he retired and went back home which is happy,

3 Likes

It’s too bad that this place is now closed. Do you have any other recommendation(s) for Japanese-operated sushi shops in Kaohsiung?

I’ve always found the seafood there to be superior (for the same price) compared to what’s available in Taipei.

Guy

1 Like

This one I like, but its more like high end Japanese market, which sells nice prepared Japanese food, more like Deli style, though not cheap but also not like the other new famous Japanese ones

平凡五金行 - Google 地圖

3 Likes

So, what good seafood places did you find?

I only visit Kaohsiung once in a while, so I am far from being an expert on the food scene in the city, never mind the seafood scene.

But when I am in Kaohsiung, I really enjoy the Fujianese style seafood balls, Taiwanese style “tempura” (not the Japanese version), and also sashimi at this place:

國民市場魚丸料理

A small branch is conveniently located at Pier 2, but I prefer the wider menu at the larger location: 243 Linsen 1st Road, Kaohsiung City. The 龍鳳丸 (mixed seafood balls) at this shop are brilliant!

Shops in Taipei City cannot do anything like this. It’s amazing how deep the north-south split is for Taiwanese seafood.

Guy

2 Likes

Postscript: I also really like a Japanese operated pasta place in Kaohsiung called Kyomo Pasta address 93 Dayi Street, Kaohsiung City. What a nice meal!

Guy

I looked at some of the images posted on this shop’s google map site.

Maybe the food is good, but the use of vegetables in the boxed meals looks like it was designed and assembled by Taiwanese. I don’t know any Japanese who would combine those veggies like that.

Guy

The fish ball soup, good ! haha the other Japanese-Taiwanese dishes are also good, better than the Franco-Japanese one for me (On the other topic on big awards)

The Pasta place looks interesting, walked past it as sometimes I go to the Malaysian like cafe near it . I guess Taipei has better Pasta?? (any links other topics in Taipei?)

2 Likes

Good for meats/Seafood and sweets if you like that. Vegi’s is like you say somewhat.

1 Like

I like the duck pasta at SOLO PASTA in Taipei City.

We now have more Italians posting on forumosa, and they may have great suggestions for you—better than mine!—if you start a thread on Tapei City’s pasta shops.

Still love Kyomo Pasta though. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

OK, I will have to go ! I visit here sometimes which is near, but can try different noodles
桂桃嬤販麵洋行-鹽埕創始店 - Google 地圖

Will try visit this Pasta place this week

1 Like

Nice natto at sushiro

Also nice cake at nearby coffee cafe

2 Likes

A good life!

Guy

According to google maps, it seems to be permanently closed. :slightly_frowning_face:

EDIT: As noted above in 2022. Too bad!

Guy

The boss went back to Japan, Fukuoka. Always nice in your hometown. There is another lday running a Japanese food (no sushi) there now. Nice young women run place.

1 Like

with Curry , in most big cities in Taiwan co co curry (at Bullet train station)

1 Like

Natto curry . . . I had better get Honorary Kanto Citizenship if I eat that! :grin:

Guy

1 Like