Naturalisation - Processing while overseas

Oh dear… :doh: :pinched_fingers:
Now that the application has been submitted hopefully neither of you have to deal with this woman ever again
But others will…

1 Like

Probably when I submit my renunciation certificate will be the next time

1 Like

well, it’s ok, not her job that, that’s MOFA and TECOs job, so she can’t fuck it up there, ignore.

utter BS, thank God not her job also, that’s the central office at MOI.

4 Likes

Waiting to hear some good news on how the immigration interview will go. :+1:

1 Like

She was really confused and really wrong but we were just doing the nod and saying ‘no problem, just submit the application’

She seems to think the settlement paper from Immigration that is used when you apply for your 身份證 is automatically issued after one year and if I don’t get a 身份證 within 30 days of the settlement paper being issued that my naturalisation would also be revoked.
She’s totally unaware that there’s a residency requirement before getting the settlement paper and she also seems totally unaware that TARCs are issued for 3 years and renewable
She is also unaware that getting a 身份證 is optional

I can’t remember where I read it but I remember one document/instructions saying that establishing household registration is not considered part of the naturalisation process. It’s included on most things though cos everyone would want to establish household registration at some point

4 Likes

Nationality and household registration, in TW law, r 2 separate concepts which though overlap as in u can be a national without HHR but if u have HHR then u r a national.

In a Euler venn diagramm nationality would be the bigger circle which contains the HHR circle inside.

2 Likes

Not sure where she got this info from…It is not “automatically issued” but one has to apply for the settlement papers (定居證 + Exit&Entry permit) at the NIA by:

1. Surrendering your TARC
  2. Submitting a Health Certificate
  3. Submitting your HHR booklet
  4. Providing a Photo
  5. Paying a processing fee of NT$600 (Fee might have increased)

The 定居證 is issued by the NIA so I can understand why she might have got confused…but this is her job so she needs to educate herself on the process. I wrote about this process here (Post #1232)

At least this part she got correct…Once you get the 定居證/Settlement papers, you have 30 days to go to the HHR and establish your initial Household Registration & apply for your ID. But since you’re not planning to surrender your TARC anytime before 36 and getting the 定居證, this 30 days time limit doesn’t apply to you. You can check the 定居證 I received from the NIA and it states in the Official Notes that one has 30 days to go to the HHR and complete the process.

4 Likes

Just had the immigration visit. It was fine, I actually prefer the visits to the idiots at desks. This is my second visit from immigration, the came when I first applied for my spouse ARC too.

They just have a bit of a chat and take some pictures and ask some irrelevant questions and some relevant questions. Mostly about our daily life. They had a quick chat to my sister in law too.

It was a really young guy and I think the person with him visited us the first time. Overall really professional and they told us it was the HHRO idiot who arranged the visit

The cynicism in me tells me being a same-sex couple has something to do with it but I will never be able to prove that and it’s only been the people who take the applications who have been rude and/or dumb but the actual visits are fine.

I can’t forsee any future issues.

I guess to get back to the title of the post.

It seems like generally yes you can have your application processed while you’re overseas but you should have an interview or immigration visit before you leave and apply under a category that doesn’t require overseas police checks. But I guess I’ll find out for certain in a cpl months

6 Likes

it seems not the worst has passed mate! (hopefully won’t jynx it…)

1 Like

Do naturalised citizens need to submit a health certificate?

1 Like

Yes! When you hand in your TARC to apply for the 定居證, you need to submit a Health Certificate too.

1 Like

What if your health certificate comes up with something, e.g. cancer. At that point you’ve already given up your original citizenship, could you be left without the possibility of getting full Taiwan household registration?

No, the health check does not check for cancer nor does it check for HIV/AIDS. It checks for other types of stds though (syphilis, chlamydia etc), and am sure even if you test positive for these stds, you will not be barred from becoming a citizen. They also take an X-ray for your lungs, check for Hansen’s disease, stool, urine and blood test.

1 Like

內政部戶政司審核中

Seems to be moving quickly this time

7 Likes

looking forward to hearing any good news mate!

1 Like

Got another call

What should have been exciting was just another argument though

Good news: I am a Taiwanese national and my naturalisation certificate has been issued.

Unsurprising but disappointing news: No one told me, no congratulations, no update on the process, nothing.

What made me angry: It was another call with bullshit problems and no solutions. My naturalisation certificate was forwarded to NIA to apply for my TARC.
NIA called saying she can’t do it cos I was overseas.
I asked why not?
Obviously she couldn’t answer.
I said Ok well just send my naturalisation certificate back to the HHRO and I will apply for the TARC when I visit next year.
She says that will cause problems.
I asked what problems.
Obviously she couldn’t answer that either.

I was admittedly pretty angry pretty quick cos getting another call for an unnecessary trip to Taiwan set me off. And having no solutions or any idea how to do a job is a joke.

They renew ARCs if a foreigner is overseas, what’s the difference? Anyway it’s not unreasonable to have her send the naturalisation certificate back to the HHRO and she didn’t want to do that either!

She said she wanted me to sign a document saying I didn’t want to apply for a TARC. I said I’m not doing that because I want the TARC, you just don’t want to complete the application

Then she started mentioning the renunciation requirement which has absolutely nothing to do with her.

5 Likes

First, congratulations on you now being a national!!!

Second, FFS …

Don’t give up, shove all their BS up their arse mate! Fight the good fight, you r not alone!

2 Likes

Because she was thinking “this is my way out of this, maybe he doesn’t want to go through with it…”

2 Likes

Yeah and not the first time I’ve had a similar argument.

They tried to tell me I had to apply for my spouse ARC from overseas back when I applied for that.

Now they’re telling me I have to be within Taiwan.

I strongly believe it makes no difference, it’s just a good excuse to refuse to do a job.
If you look at the immigration act and nationality act as well as the enforcement rules none of them make a mention of where you are AFTER an application for an ARC/TARC/nationality is submitted

I’ve had to argue for every. Single. Visa/ARC/TARC I’ve had.

1 Like

I think she was presuming that I’d be kicked out of Australia if I renounce

4 Likes