Naturalization Based on Marriage

Does anyone here have experience getting Taiwanese citizenship based on marriage?

Apart from renunciation of original citizenship it seems like it’s very easy to do. Unless I’m mistaken the requirements are:

• 3 years continuous residence in Taiwan
  • 72 hours of Chinese class time
  • The language test is waived
  • The requirement to show financial records is waived

One thing I’m confused about is the loss of original nationality. The law states there is one year to get proof that you’ve lost your original citizenship. Yet it also states:

Foreign nationals shall not be allowed to reside in Taiwan prior to the submission of a certificate of loss of original nationality as prescribed in the preceding two paragraphs.

Does this mean you cannot live in Taiwan during renunciation?

https://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=D0030001

I wasn’t aware of this. Which article of the act is it?

In article 4 of the Nationality Act.

If they are married to an ROC national, they are not required to meet the conditions prescribed in Subparagraph 4 of Paragraph 1 of Article 3.

Subparagraph 4 of Paragraph 1 of Article 3 says:

1. possess sufficient property or professional skills to support themselves and lead a stable life; and
2 Likes

no.
The reside means getting a hhr.

1 Like

Oh, OK.

But what if you are already listed on a hhr?

It means you are not allowed to get your own hhr before you renounce your original nationality.

3 Likes

Thanks. That clears it up.

I’m glad Tando cleared that up because that’s very misleading English.

2 Likes

does @Icon know who are translating these laws?

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the criminal record check from your home country is also waived if you haven’t left Taiwan for more than 3 months at any one time, but I can’t find it now. Does anyone have a link to this?

1. A foreigner who has legally and continuously resided in the ROC (Taiwan) for five years, and who has not left the country for more than three months at a time, may be exempted from submitting a satisfactory health examination certificate and a police criminal record certificate issued by their country of origin.

Thanks for link. That’s for APRC, I wonder if it is the same for naturalisation.

1 Like

Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the 3 year residency requirement is calculated from the day you arrive, day of marriage or the day your ARC was issued?

Thanks!

this

1 Like

Is it 3 years residency on JFRV or does it count if I have say 2 years on gold card then marry someone and stay for another year?

This is useful, that’s my same situation😂

My understanding however is if you are married with a citizen and resided for 3 hrs, that’s it.

It would be best if you send a message to MOI about it though, they r quite fast in replying (English is perfectly fine).