Naturalization questions

I’m applying for naturalization in November, and I have a few questions. I will ask the HHRO too, but we all know their answers aren’t to be trusted…. If anyone can share their knowledge, it’s appreciated.

1. What happens if a spouse dies or you get divorced when you have naturalized and have TARC but still don’t have household registration?

2. Before gaining household registration, a health check must be done. Are there any illnesses or diseases that can prevent gaining household registration?

3. If my naturalization is approved in January, and I don’t apply to renounce my original citizenship until November, will the receipt of the renunciation application be enough to apply for an extension? Or will the extension be denied because the reason for the delay is because I waited until November to renounce, and the delay is not because of high waiting times.

4. Following from the previous question, if my application for extension is denied and a year passed without my original citizenship renunciation being processed, what happens? Will my Taiwan citizenship be revoked?

5. Once my naturalization is processed and I possess an TARC, do I need to apply for any kind of permission to leave the country, since I haven’t completed the draft yet? Or does it not matter since technically I’m not eligible for the draft until I gain household registration?

6. Once I’ve gained household registration, do I need to apply for any kind of permission to leave the country, if I haven’t completed the draft yet? If so what is it and is it hard to get?

3 Likes

Nothing :slight_smile: When you establish household registration you just do it by yourself.

Nope, as you’re not liable for compulsory service, no questions asked.

Yes if you’re under 36

I’m interested to know the answers to your other questions though

2 Likes

I don’t believe you can get a TARC through a spouse, so nothing will happen if they die or divorce you.

Health check is not required for obtaining HHR. It is only required to obtain a TARC. The standards are probably the same as getting an ARC, but I don’t know what they are.

Not eligible for draft until one year after you obtain HHR.

I believe it is part of the process, at least according to the government’s flow chart.

So you need two health checks? Because I know you definitely need one for TARC.

I only got one.

It’s the other way around. No need for health check for a TARC but needed for HHR

1 Like

Interesting. I definitely submitted my health check when I was getting my TARC, not when I was getting my HHR a year later.

if you need iy, what they check are here.

You entered on a Taiwan passport right?

Maybe it’s cos we submitted a health check for our ARCs and TARC is more or less an ARC?

Doesn’t explain why we need to do it when we get HHR though.

I dunno, Taiwan never makes sense

Yes, that’s required to live in Taiwan on a TARC.

the permission of your naturalization is canceled.

3 Likes

different documents are requested for different situations.

because you are a HK people.

1 Like

The Taiwanese government doesn’t know that. I obtained my TARC and HHR as a US citizen.

When you move from TARC you have to do another health check before getting your HHR and ID Card. MOI only send registered letter to both applicant and HHRO after you have done the medical check to go to HHRO and get your ID card.

So you renounced US citizenship of you got it through having ROC parents?

Perhaps different for those who naturalize through renunciation and those who do it from citizenship by descent through parents? I had to do medical before HHR and ID card were issued after I had lived in Taiwan on my TARC for one year. Others also. Can read it all in the citizenship thread.

An ROC parent yes.

OK your father then.

Yes different from us who naturalize by renunciation. :rofl: :rofl:

No, my mother.

So you can’t be old then lol