Need a hole drilled in my concrete

All the locals are doin’ it, why can’t I? Is there some kind of tradesman who owns a hammer drill and bits. Just need one hole drilled through 6 inches of concrete. Then I can run the wireless antennae straight up to the top floor. Maybe I can convince a plumber or electrician to do it. Or the air conditioner guy.

Te4li4wu1 (formerly B&Q) rents drills.

You need a rotary hammer with an SDS bit, not a hammer drill.

No way is a hammer drill going to get through 6 inches of concrete - you couldn’t buy masonry bits that long anyway.

My wife after a bottle of vodka can kick the shit out of 6 inch of concrete. Give her a half hour after the bottle, then stand back and point the way. Voila! A hole in the concrete. Be careful what you wish for.

Our AC guy was here recently and we asked him to drill a hole so we could hang a picture. He happily complied. We don’t own a lot of tools and my wife always asks the various service people to do favors like this for us whenever they’re here.

walk through your neighborhood, find a shop that looks like they may use a drill (shuidian, a/c guy etc…), ask the guy to come help you. Should cost fuck all and a hell of a lot easier than renting a drill and buying the screws, anchors etc…

Thanks guys. Yeah, in conjunction with the move, we are moving our A/C. So I’m asking my wife to ask him to bring his rotary hammer. I figure A/C guys have to have those to send those tubes through the walls sometimes.

Dragonbones, appreciate your suggestion, sorry to see everyone piling on. Though, I do hate B&Q in general.

The AC guy is here, 2cm minimum diameter, with this drilling rig that looks like something out of Mission Impossible. Water fed. He didnt’ even need to use the hammer part. (Too bad, I wanted to get in some payback for all the rotary hammers that ruined my sanity over the years). Took him about 2 minutes to get through 10cm of concrete wall.

Water is used to cool diamond hole-boring bits. You’re right, they don’t hammer - they grind away the concrete and rebar and leave you with a smooth hole and a core to keep as a souvenir. Definitely one of those “big boy’s toys” I’d love to try one day.

I had the same problem with the Yellow store when I bought our new air-condition.

I made sure they understood and promised that they could drill that hole for the pipes.
So, when the guys came to install it, I was at work and they just put the pipes through my windows simply leaving the window open.
Completely ridiculous! We even agreed on an extra 1000 NT$ for drilling the hole.
After complaining heavily at Yellow store these guys came again and still refused to drill the hole. I gave up and had them put the pipes through the old one unit air-condition space.
For the extra distance needed they charged us 4000NT$ additional coper pipes. I put up a big fight at yellow store but to no avail.

Finally two years later we had to replace our gas-pipe. The plumber didn’t have a problem drilling that D.F.H. Took him 15 minutes or so. He even didn’t have to change the drill.
It is steel reinforced concrete though. But my wife kept encouraging him telling him throughout how good he was doing that.

For brick walls, the AC guy just hammered a bunch of little holes with a rotary hammer and put the pipe through, then after he was done he mortared the hole closed leaving a nice seal around the pipes. I imagine a rotary hammer is going to be insufficient with reinforced concrete, a diamond drill is going to be needed.