Need advice ASAP on whether to get a visitor's visa or not

I’m from the US and I’m looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I’m trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor’s visa before hand. I wouldn’t have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

Has anyone transitioned their visa exempt entry into a work permit/ARC directly? Or is it always the case that you have to apply for a visitor’s visa (in Taiwan or abroad)? I’m trying to resolve this situation in the next week so I appreciate your comments and advice! Has anyone had the experience of canceling a return ticket and getting a 100% refund? If so, what airline did you choose?

[quote=“Multiracial Man”]I’m from the US and I’m looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I’m trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor’s visa before hand. I wouldn’t have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

Has anyone transitioned their visa exempt entry into a work permit/ARC directly? Or is it always the case that you have to apply for a visitor’s visa (in Taiwan or abroad)? I’m trying to resolve this situation in the next week so I appreciate your comments and advice! Has anyone had the experience of canceling a return ticket and getting a 100% refund? If so, what airline did you choose?[/quote]

this is covered a million times in the forums, search is your friend!

i just advised someone on this last week

USE SEARCH

I’ve read a bunch of the posts but I’m still not sure what I should do.

[quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“Multiracial Man”]I’m from the US and I’m looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I’m trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor’s visa before hand. I wouldn’t have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

Has anyone transitioned their visa exempt entry into a work permit/ARC directly? Or is it always the case that you have to apply for a visitor’s visa (in Taiwan or abroad)? I’m trying to resolve this situation in the next week so I appreciate your comments and advice! Has anyone had the experience of canceling a return ticket and getting a 100% refund? If so, what airline did you choose?[/quote]

this is covered a million times in the forums, search is your friend!

i just advised someone on this last week

USE SEARCH[/quote]

is this what you’re referring to?

Whether you have a tourist visa or not, the chances are high that the airline won’t board you if you don’t have a ticket to leave Taiwan. Rule says all visitors must have return or onward tickets. If you have a resident visa, you don’t need to meet this requirement.

I know that, I’m asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I’m not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)…So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.

I know that, I’m asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I’m not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)…So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.

I know that, I’m asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I’m not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)…So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.[/quote]

roundtrip ticket is BS…the TECO person probably speaks bad Chingrish (they did in SF)

just a ticket outta TW will do

I know that, I’m asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I’m not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)…So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.[/quote]

roundtrip ticket is BS…the TECO person probably speaks bad Chingrish (they did in SF)

just a ticket outta TW will do[/quote]

Thanks, I hope so. I will be applying for it in a couple of days.

To issue a tourist visa, they have to be reasonably sure you aren’t going to stay. You decide how best to do that; return ticket or onward ticket.

Further, just for visa issuance, you don’t need the actual ticket. Just get an itinerary. Either print it yourself off the Internet, or pay a travel agent a couple bucks to book some flights and print an itinerary.