Need advice on cycling up Wuling

Congratulations! :+1:

1 Like

Congrats!

There’s absolutely no shame in walking any part of any segment if that route.

You’ve already completed something many don’t even dare attempt!

2 Likes

Where to rent a TCR near Puli and how to get it to a hotel in Ren’ai?

On my last visit in 2019, I enjoyed a week on the bike out of Keelung. This time the plan is for my family of four to all do some riding down south. We will visit middle of June 2023.

It seems like a Giant store in Taichung will rent bikes, but how to transport four cycles up to our hotel??

:biking_man: :biking_man: :biking_man: :biking_man:

1 Like

If it’s something you’d like to take care yourself, it’s buses and trains, which may require bike bags.

A bit hassle free is considering hiring a driver (specific for bikes) to bring you around.

They cost roughly 4-6,000NTD a day that includes pick up, drop off and snacks/water for your trip up the mountain. If you find a good driver, they’ll also provide photos.

PM me for more details.

3 Likes

Hello from Malaysia. A week before I went off to Taiwan with my wife and two kids, I kept searching around for more information regarding Wuling as I have made a last minute decision to cycle up to Wuling after found out there is a Taiwan KOM.

I didn’t have enough time to get myself prepared but just trying my best and brought my own bike over. Rented a support car whereby my wife and kids were inside the car all along when I rode up to Wuling. Stopped three times at scheduled stops and the last 10km after Dayuling was really killing and brutal.

In fact, at that last 10km I think I stopped at the side for four times. I did not push my bike as that was the promise I have made to myself. As everytime I regained my energy, I hopped back on and started pedaling till my last drop of energy and finally reaching the summit…!! :face_holding_back_tears::melting_face:

:star2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! :star2:

:man_biking:t2: TAIWAN, WULING 一 3,275M DONE!!! :man_biking:t2:

Finally, I’ve done something super crazy in my entire life. A full solo ride and a couple of stops for rest and to regain my energy. Totally no push bike at all. Pedal all the way!! A promise I made to myself since the day I took up this challenge. :rofl:

Super exhausted and I can’t feel my legs anymore but I’m super happy that I managed to complete my dream ride in my top bucket list too.

Last but not least, I’m super contented and I can say my top happiest moment in my life. Achieving something based on my self capability, no money could ever buy this feeling and result. :face_holding_back_tears::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

5:27 looks like a pretty solid time to me. Congratulations!

Can you share your gearing?

1 Like

Great story and well done! :+1:

1 Like

Respect!

I’m exhausted just driving that section of Highway 8.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’m using the new Giant Propel SL 0 2023. My groupset is Shimano Dura Ace with original PM 12 speed. Chain ring is 52-36 and using 11-30T cassette. I didn’t change the cassette to 11-34T which I should have done it then it would have lesser stops in between.

2 Likes

Well done, a real achievement indeed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Honestly that’s the most brutal ride I have ever ridden. I started riding in November 2021 just purely wanted to loose weight. I was 93kg plus that time and currently i am 66 - 67kg with a 178cm height. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes