Need details on sending parcels from Taiwan to UK

Hi there,

my husband and I are planning to move to the UK and we have stuff. We don’t have furnitures to send but we do have a lot of stuff that we don’t want to lug over with luggages cos we’re planning to travel to another country first then go from that country to the UK. It’s more practical to send our stuff first to the UK then just carry a few suitcases.

I’m a bit unsure about the process of sending international parcels via the post office (cos it’s the cheapest option). Did anyone ever just send your own personal stuff via the post office? I’m guessing I need to buy the boxes from the post office then pay the amount that’s required, but do I need to prepare the list of items in the box, printed and give it to the post office or something? Do I need to list the prices of the items (I mean, they’re personal stuff that’s bought a long time ago and/or gifted. I don’t know how much they cost)? Do I need to pay taxes for them?

TIA for your responses!

1 Like

Some quick thoughts.

The post office isnt the place to buy boxes. They have domestic boxes, but not big and wont often work well internationally (they will confuse things). Get you boxes elsewhere. Every box store and supermarket gives them out for free…as an example.

I would first consider how many big boxes you have, and if that number is a decent amount use a freight forwarder. Cheaper, but you need an agent to clear customs there, so it is more inconvenient if you are travelling in between.

If post seems fine then just make sure you pack to their size limits. Most countries have a 30kg max. Some have a 20kg max. You can check the taiwan posts website or ask in person about your destination AND shipping method.

Do note because of the CCP virus, some countries have no postal service from here (it changes often, so ask them…but the UK should be fine). There is also an extra CCP virus fee on most international parcels now. Many countries before were $7,080nt per 30kg package via EMS and now they range in the 9 to 12k range (adjusted monthly). you can check online, and ask in person. I have been to MANY post offices that didnt know the price shifts and quoted wrong because they follow outdated printed forms. Last year the postal website was also wrong in their price brackets AND their dates for which price adjustments changed…which has cost people millions in shipping fees…so its worth to get a quote just before you ship to be sure.

The logistics workers in taiwan post are golden, but the folks behind the window are often just 711 workers with bigger egos and test certificate, so check them twice :wink:

1 Like

@RereChan What did you do in the end? I am about to move back to the UK from Taiwan and have an extra parcel of stuff!

My wife’s parent sent some heavy boxes full of rice cookers for my new house, ample boxes of tea, lots of porcelain items, money, gold etc.

Don’t use Parcelforce—useless as tits on a bull.

Have no experience with UK ↔ Taiwan but try Crown Relocations or Asian Tigers movers. They ship sub-container loads of household items internationally.

“heavy boxes full of rice cookers for my new house”

:thinking:

How many rice cookers does one need?

Wanted tatung chrome and orange ones

1 Like

I figured you needed one for each room of the house. If not that 2nd guess was to cultivate aspergillus oryzae for sake or natto.

Shipping the gold is certainly the elephant in the room though. :beers: some pirate shit going on!