Need help with sound from a dvd/dvd player

I am playing a movie for my students in class as a reward. The problem is that we cannot hear any of the dialogue that is spoken in the movie. I am showing the movie Over the Hedge. We can hear the sound effects and the music, but when anyone is talking we cannot hear a word they are saying. Does anyone know a possible solution to this? I was told that it might be the tv’s that we are playing the movie on. They are a bit older and I think the movie is in surround sound which is the only audio option offered on the dvd.
Any help would be appreciated. My students are having to read the subtitles but I would like them to hear the voices speaking in English.
Thank you in advance!

You should have a button on the dvd remote which can switch the audio options (like for changing the audio language, but also you might find there is more than one English option, one would be 5.1, one would be stereo). Also, you could try going into the DVD player settings (not the DVD itself’s menu), and making sure it’s on stereo, not surround.

Last resort - try swapping the red and white cables. you might hear their voices, but lose some other sound.

Of course, I’m assuming you’ve plugged the red and white cables in correctly. Please double check.

And if you can, let us know the DVD player model name/number. It might help to know this.

Three suggestions:

1. If using the audio plugs, plug the ‘center’ output into the TV.

2. Most DVD players have a configuration to set it to downmix surround sound to stereo output. Go through the player’s menus to see if there is something like this.

3. Some movies have both surround and stereo soundtracks, so you can change the audio track using the DVD player’s remote to the stereo version.

Thank you for your replies. I was able to access the DVD player menu and control the audio option which enabled me to hear the voices.
Thanks again for the help (and my students say “thank you” as well).

[quote=“browny”]Thank you for your replies. I was able to access the DVD player menu and control the audio option which enabled me to hear the voices.
Thanks again for the help (and my students say “thank you” as well).[/quote]

Cool! Thanks for letting us know it worked. :slight_smile: