Need help with work opportunities in light of lockdown

I have very limited options for this, as I need additional hardware to do this. It’s the best I can do at the moment. Also I don’t want the camera too close, as it would interfere with my work. Probably would be better if the camera comes equipped with telephoto lens… but it only has fisheye.

Or if anyone has some hardware I can loan, or at least some way to mount a phone… My current setup doesn’t allow me to mount phones.

If your Spanish is good enough that’s a way.

How the hell did you get permanent residency in Taiwan in first place? Hard for me to understand, I thought you actually need skillful work here. Knowing you did not choose the marriage route.

Actually train your body, get in shape, appear smart and just get a rich enough Chinese or Taiwanese women to marry you for western passport before being deported back…

Yes mainland is better for that. But in 5 months here I got two rich and good looking girls wanting to marry me… But yeah you will need lower standards with what you can propose. But if you’re a dollar millionaire, in your thirties, speak Chinese and decent looking, able to travel you’ll get plenty of offers from girls in mainland 10 times your net worth. Damn being western, decent looking, able to communicate in Chinese is like being model looking with university degree as a girl looking for a rich husband in the west. Just a problem with mainland, marriage won’t get you residency. Taiwan is better, but choice smaller. If you’re willing to marry a divorced women with children, your market rate skyrockets.

What are you on about?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

I’m Taiwanese who grew up in America.

Well I’m just thinking about possibilities to get out of his situation. But then your market worth is a bit lower. Still maybe a solution. It’s not only girls who aim for marrying rich

Again, what are you talking about?
Nobody said anything about getting married…

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re on about. I’m open to same sex marriage too, but if you suggest I should marry someone, or anyone, to get me out of a problem, you’re being delusional.

First of all it would be highly patronizing, but also marrying to get out of a bad situation rarely ever works out for both individuals. Like foreigner marries a Taiwanese because he wants to experience more exotic culture. Taiwanese married the foreigner to get her out of her prison like abusive family situation. Only foreigner was not prepared to deal with the family and in laws, but also doesn’t want to return home. Taiwanese wants to go to her husband’s country because she thinks it would elevate her standing and get herself away from the abusive family. etc. etc. etc.

I’ll marry someone, even if he or she is dirt poor, because I love him or her and want to spend the rest of my life with him or her. Not because he or she is rich. This is how abusive families develop. Also by marrying I start to have more responsibilities and all that. At worst I could just leave my shop, home, whatever and let the bulldozer get rid of everything, but when you got mouths to feed you can’t do that, so marriage would simply create more problems at this point.

Finally, I posted this thread specifically because of a possible lockdown. We are probably going to go to level 4, and at that point, going out looking for jobs is not going to be an option. Actually right now I could probably risk it, but Minister Chen said to limit outdoor excursions to necessary things, and while job seeking is necessary, in view of slowing down and flattening the curve, it is not. Because ultimately this is something everyone has to contend with, and so organizations, landlords, governments are probably going to be more understanding when you can’t make those payments. My last phone bill has no due date, so I won’t be paying them until after the crisis has passed. In short, I made this thread because I need to make some income without leaving the house unnecessarily.

I don’t know if you noticed, but all the claw machine locations have closed. When that happens you know they’re taking this seriously.

4 Likes

That reads as: you saw a guitar on somebody’s property and stole it

Just FYI

The guitar was given back to me by the church. I made it, gave it to them, and they appear to not want it anymore, so they gave it back to me.

I recorded a video. but I have to wait until tomorrow because I’m going to try out this fret file I made myself. I took some epoxy and painted it onto a piece of wood with the grooves of the fret carved in. Then I coated it with diamond powder. Idea is to make my own fret file rather than using triangular file which took a really long time, and was prone to error.

Youtube video is live…

10 Likes

I for this video recommended to me today, and it reminded me of this thread. That’s the kind of video I was taking about.

Nothing fancy, but hard to look away.

I hope you kept recording some videos, @Taiwan_Luthiers!
You have to be constant if you want to build a fan base.

2 Likes

I seen videos like this.

Problem for me is finding a single slab of any wood in Taiwan that is stable. It may sound cool to build a guitar out of a single log of wood, as one has provided me an Acacia log. However the wood is green. I will not build anything out of green wood, it will not be stable under any circumstance. Sounds cool to build a guitar out of a single slab of wood but when the neck warps and it becomes unusable, then it was a waste of wood and time.

In fact any wooden item that is made of multiple pieces of wood glued together tends to be stronger and more stable. This is why plywood is so strong. I prefer making 5 piece necks for this reason, the neck tends to be incredibly stiff and stable.

Big part of woodworking is having wood that won’t change shape on you. And that requires patience, lots of patience. The acacia log that was given to me will not be of any use for me for several years, it must dry and stabilize before I will do anything to it. Not to mention the crappy bandsaw cuts it not so straight, with a slight curve in fact. I hope years of sitting under a weight will straighten it, as it will surely warp and move all over when the years runs its course.

Maybe I didn’t expressed myself correctly.
I didn’t mean for you to make a guitar from a single piece of wood (although it would be awesome if you did), rather I was talking about the store of the video.

Even single camera, when from different angles, can give a more dynamical feeling.
The lack of music and hearing the work on the wood is quite relaxing.
No face, no one speaking and minimal text also makes it more about the work than the presenter.

Anyway, I just thought it could inspire you a bit.

Don’t give up! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I got a friend with a real Gopro. The camera I have is basically totally shit, grainy as hell video. However since he’s moving back to Taiwan most his stuff is on containers, so he won’t get it til August. He is kinda angeling my business though… not much but enough to get by and fund the construction of a guitar out of Acacia.

1 Like

You know you could also do some ASMR stuff. Some people just like to hear you working in the background.

2 Likes

What’s ASMR?

Here:

1 Like

I dabbled in a bit of translating for fun (game localization, music theory) and had to actively hunt out my clients. This is not my main trade by far. I wasn’t classically trained so didn’t have a client list to draw off of. I echo a lot of what’s been said here about marketing yourself, approaching people, and having to do stuff you’re bored by or hate as part of the job.

How I got my gigs:

• Scouting companies out and pitching to them: I would go on FlyingV (Taiwan’s Kickstarter), check out products that interested me, write them emails seeing if they already had an English version of their game/manual/story and pitch them my services. These were the best gigs by far and since everything is word of mouth, I got referrals for a lot more jobs after that.
  • Participating in relevant forums: Just hung out naturally in communities and when companies were looking to expand overseas, I was the most natural fit since they knew me from the forum and I knew my stuff from participating.
  • Active social media presence: I used to have a work social media account when I still did this and wrote a post here or there, shared a picture, commented on others. Things grew organically and I befriended some folks in my hobbies – they started flipping gigs my way when they were comfortable with me, knew I was reliable, and not a psycho serial killer who was going to sink their professional reputation.

It’s a lot of grunt work, it’s a lot of hustle. As are the best things in life, they take work. You have to make your own happiness and shape it to suit your life.

Great first video btw, and you could scout around for some guitar FB groups to share to. Low pressure, low stakes marketing.

5 Likes