Need some help identifying some birds

Sorry to put it in pets, not science . Just figured more bird people might notice here.

long story short plowing fields today and the nest was toast. 2 living babies. Workers were discussing eating them, but snatched em away.

We have a LOT of 環頸雉 on our lands, and i saw that female walking around the area of these babies. I left them in a shallow basket in the afternoon in case the could take them away. No go. So now have them here an plan to hand feed. but i am not a bird person and not sure of species. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also suggesions on care until release. I am expewnced with force feeding small animals but could use some help on species specific nutritio4dn care etc.

20220421_151759

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Edit. I think they are 環頸雉 Phasianus colchicus, but i am hopelessly ignorant about bird species, especially babies.m

4 Likes

I don’t see the bird.

1 Like

Sorry, my phone and forumosa are not playing nice with each other. Uploading pics is proving impossible. Tryin now, might be a few mins

1 Like

I think the bird is in the box

From its hind feathers, I’m going to say it is a Taiwan cupwing ( Pnoepyga formosana ) otherwise known as a Taiwan wren(-babbler) (Taiwan Wren has a nice ring to it)

2 Likes

Where’s the beef,…I mean bird?

Sorry, i was havin trouble uploading pics. I will take more and use my computer when i get home. I setup a temp light and put tw light bulb box in tere with rice hulls. Out to find some crickets, earthworms and maybe some mealworms if the bird shop is open and we are lucky. Syringes and i think thats about it till i can get to acity.

Our area has no red lights, so this bulb is temporary just for heat. Will give them my coton shirt later for more insulation till get home.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Good luck. Around my farm land I always feel sorry for the birds loosing so much of their nesting areas.

I am definitely no expert on identifying birds…but it looks a little like the baby pheasants I used to see on my land. If so they can eat a wide variety including seeds, worms, and bugs.

This is a tough but commend you for trying.

2 Likes

Looks like a Taiwanese bamboo partridge chick.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the ideas. Will be reading up on all the species suggesions i have recieved. A friend called me a few mins ago suggesting quail. Coturnix coturnix 鵪鶉. I s till have no idea, thy look similar.

The update now is i found out my village is ube paranoid aboit selling syringes. Had to try 3 towns to get one. Stopped by one of our fields for some crickets and thankfully the seed store sells chicken feed. Not ideal but in apinch t works. I have fed them both and they took down the mash readily. I put a dish of water and dish of dry powdered food in there just in case. Is this agood idea or not? Will replace a few times daily to avoid mold. Would love some car tips from any of you brd keepers.

So far i am following this for food but i am still nt sure on species haha
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.chippingnortonvets.co.uk/uploads/Whiteside%20et%20al%202015%20effect%20of%20diet%20on%20pheasant%20survival%20post%20release.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjVx--Sp6X3AhVAqFYBHdpWCbsQFnoECAcQAg&usg=AOvVaw2vLBlfogmudR7w1fjHhkUh

This was one out of the rain and into a tub with a makeshift heatlamp (times like this i cant help but feel astonished how convenient taiwan is)

4 Likes

Well, these types of birds can eat on their own without direct assistance from their parents. If they are willing to eat what you have provided then that is a huge step. Soon you can thrown a few bugs in their container and they will probably hunt them down by themselves. Hope the chicken feed continues to be accepted as that would be convenient when bugs not available. Once again…good luck.

2 Likes

@Explant

Any updates on your baby birds? I would love to hear any developments.

Also, here are the relevant pages from my “A Field Guide to the Birds of Taiwan” book regarding quail and partridges.

5 Likes

Wow, got to get me one of those.

1 Like

Bitchin’ book, right? It’s got everything.

3 Likes

Looks like a Japanese Quail, which I saw in KHH Water tower park

1 Like

Hey there, thanks for caring. I have to reiterating i am fairly “bird daft” as far as ID goes.have had a few , unforunately ethanol fueled, deep conversations with some friends about ID. I kept saying pheasant, probably because i saw a male and female paying attention to that exact spot after clearing the land. But everyone is telling me quail. So i am probably way wrong, but time will tell haha.

The time line for them has been positive and progressive. I was syringe feeding them for 2 days, but not needing to force feed. They would lick if i rubbed their beak. It took a few days to get them used to wet food from a dish (mashed grains and insects, separately to see which wa preffered). I also caught various insects and bought some Mealworms, whih were taken down right quick. “Hunting” wasnt so hot (crickets/grasshoppers/roaches etc) and after a few hours would remove before lights out to avoid stress.

Now they take more mobile invertebrates, but the bugs tend to escape fast. I converted our table into a cage temporarily. There are lots of pretty uneducated cat owners here so i hade to cage them. Pretty crude, and the friggen feral buggers have left me with nearly no sleep these days. Thats another topic haha, fuck outdoor invasive cats basically.

Hoping they are quail and we can release soon, and i can sleep soon lol

After getting a red light from the city their sleep cycle was normalized. Took them off that a couple days ago a they are so active now and feeding is normalized :slight_smile:

Will ask wife for pics my phone cant handle photos of things that move or dark pics haha. Can barely even type anymore…

But, the birds are growing fast, feathers pushing through and we are managaing to keep them comfortable while making sure they still have a true fear of us. So it seems all is well so far! Touch wood…

5 Likes

I have a feeling you just got two new additions to your farm. That plan to release them you have, you will, but they will keep hanging around and you will keep leaving food for them, specially if you give them names.
Maybe that was just me and a magpie i looked after when i was a kid.

4 Likes

Videos too, please.

1 Like

Hehe. Ya that is always a risk. Regardless of off color words my wife has called me, i try to instill the fear of god in them. Tho ugh it is true they clearly notice us replacing food and water daily, so its possible they become “tame”. Trying to avoid that though, perhaps i was wrong in hand feeding in the beinning. Luckily this farm is huge and has water, food and bird habitat already constructed. If a snake eats them, just part of the cycle (i love snakes 10 fold over birds anyway, really not a fan of birds!!). If a cat/dog/human messes with them, well. No sense incriminating myself here :slight_smile:

I cant post videos in the forums. If you know how, happy to oblige :slight_smile: wifes phone is about 80% bird pics/vids/soundclips haha!

1 Like

Upload your vids to your own Youtube channel and then make the link shareable and then post it here. Like I do with my snake vids.

1 Like