Need specific prepaid SIM card. Help with locating

Just moved to Taipei. I have an unlocked phone.
I’m looking for a prepaid SIM with these necessities.

• Needs to have unlimited data.

• No throttle

• Can be topped up so I can keep the same phone number for at least 1 year.

Is there such a thing? I do have 2 forms of ID.
Thanks so much everyone :pray:

$1100 at Taiwan Mobile.

However, there are no-contract plans for much less money. Like GT4G for $399. You might wanna look at those as well cause you can save AT LEAST half the cost on a no-contract plan.

I’d prefer no contract. Are there unlimited data no contract sims that can be topped up? No throttling is important too. Vlog uploads eat up a lot of data.

Ok. What’s your situation? Knowing more can help me give you a better answer.

Living in Taiwan with ARC. Just moved here with an unlocked phone. Use A LOT of mobile data. Don’t want data speed to be throttled. What are my no contract options? What prepaid SIM card that can be topped up offers these options?

Do you plan to live here 1 year? 2 years? 3 years?

Like. Prepaid SIM cards aren’t expensive by Western standards, but if you go the prepaid route, you will be paying double. It’ll be $1100 for one of these cards that you have to drag yourself every month to get to the store to get it topped up. It’s not fun and a waste of time.

My Postpaid plan is with GT4G and they offer $399 with unlimited 4G no throttling. Postpaid, just pay the bill and cancel anytime.

Taiwan Mobile/chunghwa/FET will offer better coverage, their plans are like $499-$699 depending. Definitely ask a store rep for more info.

But, think of it like this. If you do postpaid, you dont necessarily need to contract-up(although it’s cheaper to do so if you have a plan to be here for at least two years) You could get stable home broadband and cheap mobile internet together for around the same price as that awful prepaid SIM. It’s more convenient and better for your vlogs.

2 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the info! I don’t mind doing a contract. Where are GT4G locations? Can I communicate in English? If I rarely leave the city of Taipei would the coverage be good enough?

1 Like

It usually is good in Taipei. GT4G is kinda like Canada’s Freedom Mobile. Cheaper but less coverage.

Though, the big three also have home broadband options. FET resells Chunghwa, Taiwan Mobile has their own DOCSIS lines. They might be able to bundle up for you too and simplify billing. Taiwan Mobile is also the most foreigner friendly company as well in my opinion.

But yeah. Prepaid SIM for a year is a waste of money for no added utility. It’s good temporarily but not for years.

Stores in major commercial centres and tourist districts are more likely to have English reps.

Think Xinyi, Guanghua, Ximen.

1 Like

Another option that used to work (mind you this was a few years ago) was to go to an area where they sell sim cards for migrant workers in Taiwan. The carriers sell prepaid cards cheaper … it used to be $500 a month for unlimited data but it may have increased now due to 4G and 5G. Nonetheless it will be cheaper than getting prepaid cards from carriers directly, it used to be about 50% cheaper. From that point forward keep buying top up cards from those vendors that sell to migrant workers.

Taiwan Mobile has a pre-paid SIM promotion through September 30th.

1000NT for 60GBs on 5G (valid for 60 days). Includes phone number with minimal credit. You can add credit and keep using beyond 60 days.

https://english.taiwanmobile.com/product/5GPrepaidCard.html

Thanks for the reply. Need unlimited. 60gb still not enough. :grimacing:

1 Like

You’re gonna have a better time with home broadband. Cheaper and more consistent than 4G or 5G.

Keeps your phone free and independent too.

:man_facepalming: I’m going to be on my mobile and away from my home. That’s why I’m asking for unlimited data plans.

1 Like

I would still recommend hitting up the postpaid plans as they are half the price per month if your stay is more than six months.

Can you download the documents before leaving the house?

Documents… :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hi @acedubs

I went to a Taiwan Mobile store for you and got a price for you.

If you are here for two years… this will be a lot cheaper

Starting at $999/m you get
120Mbps home cable internet
Unlimited 4G phone service. $100/m less than prepaid for more. Reliable at home. Reliable on the go.

Picture provided above.

2 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate that!

2 Likes

@Marco Taiwan Mobile definitely seem to be more “English friendly” then Chunga and the other one.
For that reason I think I will venture over to their store.
I have a tourist SIM at the moment, but I am similar to OP in that I want a reloadable SIM that I can just top up when it gets low.

Will be here for 6 - 12 months. Possibly much longer. So wanted a non-contract SIM that I can reload. Actually, I am not a heavy data user. Most likely do all my heavy data stuff at home on the laptop.

I have an ARC. Can I just go to Taiwan mobile store and get a reloadable SIM? Want to keep the local phone number so dont want keeping buying tourist SIMS and at same time dont want a contract right now.
Thanks Marco!

Edit: here is the Taiwan mobile prepaid card page. I can’t see for sure from this page if I can keep the prepaid card indefinately and keep topping up (so can keep the phone number). Maybe its implied but i dont know…

Let me go to the store to check these coming days. I am entertaining friends from overseas so I have to take them to the store to get SIM cards anyways. I’ll come back with updated info.

1 Like