Need to buy a US number

Can’t I buy a US number from Taiwan that shows as if you are calling from the US (without worrying about VPNs, joint ventures, etc.)? To be honest, I would like to just give this over to the computer folks at my office and say “you do it.”

How about these guys?

Reliable Outbound Calling & Guaranteed Business Caller ID

Tired of low answer rates and unreliable caller ID during calls to the US or abroad? Trust AVOXI’s TrueLocal™ Local Presence Dialing Numbers for guaranteed business caller ID during outbound calls.

Google voice was suggested and it works; not sure if they’re still handing out numbers, but worth a look.

You need to have a working US mobile number to get a US Google voice number.

Chicken ↔ Egg

1 Like

We solved the issue by setting up our Skype credit to show as if we are calling from a US cell phone number. We needed to input a code that was sent by text. But…we had our US SIM card phone so the issue was resolved.

Almost had this problem.

2 Likes

Bummer, that didn’t used to be the case.

US Sim card or VPN, you will need access to the US network to set things up.

1 Like

I got a google voice US number by asking a family member to be the phone contact for setup.
I was a Skype US number user. Both services are great for making and receiving US calls however SMS verifications rarely work.

He has a US Sim card.
I use Google Fi just for that.

1 Like

I use Openphone at ~$10 USD per month.

I think I have resolved my issue, but for others in the future needing this information, do you mind sharing more info? Did you set that up in Taiwan? Did you need a code sent by text to a US number? Thanks.

I use Google voice for this as others have said. $20 one time fee to move a US number over to Google voice. You don’t need a VPN, free calls to any us number and anyone can call or text my US number with no issues.

1 Like

Yes, so I found this option after realizing that I couldn’t do Google Voice without an existing US number. This service doesn’t require it. It’s not connected to my Taiwan number either; I have their app which handles incoming/outgoing texts and calls.

I like this service because it gives me a number and lets me do banking authentication calls and anything else I need as long as I have data or wifi. No need to purchase Skype minutes, and I can receive texts which I’m not sure Skype offers.

2 Likes

I use Google Voice but some banks will not authenticate while others will. I guess they do not like IP phone numbers.

1 Like

I just made a long free call on TextNow, and the other party called me, with it seeming totally to be a US number. If you pay them $5 a year you can lock the number in, otherwise you have to use it periodically or they’ll take that number back.

1 Like

Can TextNow be used to set up Google voice?

Google voice is free calling from the “US” to the actual US…?

I’m trying to use it for potential American jobs. Or do y’all think I should just tell them zoom? Lol

I’m back asking this question again as I have a need. So I need a US number to make calls from Taiwan. Skype + PCHome is discontinuing their subscription (ends at the end of April). Trying to buy Skype credit now ends up requiring to be paid in Euros and then when you select your country from the drop-down menu, only countries in Europe appear. Selecting one randomly results in an error message that the information doesn’t match your credit card.

So I was wondering if there is another service in which I can have a US number that I use for called to the US from Taiwan (so that it appears that I’m calling from the US- an American government system is rejecting my calls now from Taiwan).

Wonder why it is different for everyone.
I just looked at mine and I can select a number from several countries around the world including the U S. But when I really wanted one from the U S. They didn’t allow it at that time

1 Like

:partying_face:

1 Like

I got word that they figured it out. I’ll report here tomorrow on how they did it.

1 Like

Skype is beyond useless.

I’ve tried using them to call say bank customer service (because their toll free number will not accept calls from mobile phone) and it does NOT work no matter what. In fact a lot of 02 numbers block skype, meaning my only choice is to pay to call it from the phone.

I’ve set all the caller ID and whatever other security settings necessary and I can not use them AT ALL. If you call the number with skype the call simply drops without reason, but it will work if you call it by phone.

I believe the phone company is doing this intentionally. They obviously make a lot of money off of land line calling (calling land line from mobile is expensive, more expensive than calling the US).