Need to buy glass today?

Every morning at around 5 am or something ridiculously early like that, there’s a vendor, an old man, pushing a cart around the neighborhood, yelling “Does anyone want to buy some glass?” Now I’m not fluent in Mandarin, but I swear, that is what he’s selling. Anyone else have this happen to them?

quote:
Originally posted by Piper: [b]Every morning at around 5 am or something ridiculously early like that, there's a vendor, an old man, pushing a cart around the neighborhood, yelling "Does anyone want to buy some glass?" Now I'm not fluent in Mandarin, but I swear, that is what he's selling. Anyone else have this happen to them?[/b]

I think what he’s saying is “change glass”. These men go around and take any broken glass that you might have (broken windows, mirrors, etc…) and also provide the additional service of fixing it if you want.

But why do they make their rounds so early in the morning?

Can you imagine pushing that stuff around in the heat?

I remebered a Taiwanese Hokkien Song ‘Need to buy glass today’ years ago. It’s about a Rag and Bone man moving his cart around to buy glass or empty glass bottle from others.
It is their business to collect or buy glass from others and then sell it to factories. More of a recycling business.

I heard it today and had to share it:

Great one to set up as an alarm or ringtone!
2 Likes