Need to show proof renunciation of China hukuo to get spouse visa

"So here’s my situation: I was born in China and immigrated to Australia when I was 9 years old. I got married to a Taiwanese last year. I want to apply for a spouse visa. From what I gather, I need to show proof that I cancelled my hukou. My family never formally applied to cancel our hukou. They always assumed it’s automatically cancelled once we acquired Australian citizenship.

On top of that, I lived in Hong Kong for 10 years, so I acquired Hong Kong permanent residency status.

Can anyone offer advice or suggest where I can get help, like an immigration agent in Taiwan?"

On your HKID do you have three stars? Do you have a HK passport?

I have HKID card with 3 stars. I didn’t apply for HK passport.

I think the right path is TARC since HKID with three stars means you are still a Chinese citizen, but I’m not familiar enough with that path.

Alternatively you can try get hukou renunciation proof from China and get it authenticated by the straits. It should still be at the police station where you were last living, and should already be cancelled automatically if you have applied for any China visas.

1 Like

I made multi trips back to China with visitor visa whilst I was living in HK. So I assume they would have cancelled it. Have you had a similar experience? It is hard to ask for prove if I go back to China?

Did you have a shenfenzheng in China as an infant or have relatives in your birth city who can prove who you are? You’ll probably need either when trying to get your cancelled hukou. Just go to the China police station of your last residence city in China to ask. Or ask relative to ask for you first.

I have my birth certificate and some sort of certificate certifying where I was born and my parent’s name. It seems a trip back to China is inevitable

1 Like

Yeah seems solvable with a trip / vacation back to China if you know where your last hukou was and you have proof of who you are.

Not sure if birth cert is enough but you can try. Shenfenzheng is enough but infants weren’t required to hold them many years ago.

Yes everything was linked with my mum, including my passport

1 Like