Needed: A stud cat

Hi cat fanciers. My insane cat is in heat (again). I want her to have some kittens before I get her fixed. Is there a boy for her out there?

I would like a ginger (orange) tom with a good scene of humour and a nice body. :slight_smile:

You can have your pick of the catlets as the standard stud fee.

email kip1969@gmail.com for dating.

Chicken, why would you want your cat to have kittens? The market is already saturated - take a look in the alley at the back of your house. The last thing Taiwan needs is more kittens.

Sorry to be so blunt, but my colleagues and I are the ones taking care of the overflow that people like yourself cause. We’re the ones who have to care for them, feed them, and bury them. If they survive, we then have to compete with people such as yourself when it comes to finding them homes.

Please, please, please, think about this before you go and add to the problem.

Thank you.

Sean

Chicken, why? Why why why???

Taiwan is is a tragedy of abandoned and stray cats. I am currently fostering four which were born but unwanted.

And there is no ticking biological clock or wistfulness with animals. They copulate because their hormones tell them to, and they suffer because of it. We can intervene and stop this without ANY negative side effects.

This site has more info regarding the benefits of neutering or spaying cats. catfocused.com/cat-health/neutering-cats.php

Please educate yourself.

Chicken, I hope the message is getting through. Please get your cat neutered now.

[quote=“Juba”] Please get your cat neutered now.[/quote] Yes, please do because chances are one of the “catlets” could end-up looking like this:

What do you plan to do with the “catlets” anyways? I suppose you would try to find them a home right? I suggest spending your energy and time finding a home for stray kittens instead.

Like StrayDog put bluntly, why not help a problem as opposed to contribute to it?

bobepine

Although I put it in a playful tone, I have given this idea some thought and planning. This has been the plan from the start when I rescued this cat as a way to small kitten.

(I will self edit my angry rant) I will simply say that I would assume you all knew what you were doing so please extend to me the same respect.

In case you did not get the message I found your posts rude, insulting, (worst of all) not helpful and off topic!

Chicken,

If you found my post rude, I apologise. We need to be direct with the message we’re getting across.

If you haven’t already realised that this island has way too many cats and kittens, then people are going to tell you about it.

You say your plan from the start was for your cat to have kittens. Why?

I guess, being involved in animal welfare, we are under the impression that everyone is aware of the issues involved here. It’s always surprising to hear that people still want to add kittens or puppies to the stockpile of unwanted animals out there.

You have asked us to assume that you know what you are doing, which bewilders me. Is there some good reason for wanting to produce more kittens? I can’t think of any. Please enlighten me.

The posts you read above are not meant to be rude or insulting, and certainly were not off-topic, but they were helpful - to the stray-cat population…

Your directness was not the problem. I understand that you are sincere and passionate about your cause. I have done all I can to educate people in this respect myself.

However if you can not think of a reason why a healthy cat should not want kittens born into a loving home than you need to step back and look at things again. You have gotten to close to the problem and can not see the bigger picture. You are doing good work but it is not the only thing. Let me give you a hypothetical example: There are way to many people in Taiwan (and the world). Many are born into poverty and abandonment (you don’t want me to post a picture of that do you?). But me and my wife are planning to have offspring. Through your reasoning We (royal We for all people reading this) should be “fixed” too.

My plan is and was just as I stated, to have one litter then have her fixed. If you have a good cat that could be the father I would even pay to have him fixed after too in addition to the usual “pick of the litter” fee .

[quote=“Chicken”]Your directness was not the problem. I understand that you are sincere and passionate about your cause. I have done all I can to educate people in this respect myself.

However if you can not think of a reason why a healthy cat should not want kittens born into a loving home than you need to step back and look at things again. You have gotten to close to the problem and can not see the bigger picture. You are doing good work but it is not the only thing. Let me give you a hypothetical example: There are way to many people in Taiwan (and the world). Many are born into poverty and abandonment (you don’t want me to post a picture of that do you?). But me and my wife are planning to have offspring. Through your reasoning We (royal We for all people reading this) should be “fixed” too.

My plan is and was just as I stated, to have one litter then have her fixed. If you have a good cat that could be the father I would even pay to have him fixed after too in addition to the usual “pick of the litter” fee .[/quote]

The bigger picture is one way beyond how nice it would be to let a cat have kittens.

If you want kittens, we have plenty that you can choose from - that’s the point.

The human population crisis is also very real, and certainly one that also does not have an appealing solution, but one day we will need to limit the number of offspring we have, or the planet simply won’t be able to sustain us all. This is where we are with cats and dogs right now, which is why 5 million per year are euthanized in the States alone. This is something we can prevent with thoughtful action now; maybe not in our lifetime, but soon after, you can bet your life that there will have to be restrictions on how many children a couple can have.

Not a nice picture, but a real one all the same.

As with any problem, the number of stray cats and dogs, the bulk of whom die early a long and painful death, can be reduced with a little forethought and sacrifice.

We simply can’t pretend that it doesn’t exist by refusing to get too close to the problem. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

“Be part of the solution, not the problem”

I think I see our failure to communicate. My cat is not a stray. Her kittens will not be strays. Her and her kittens will be fixed when needed. I don’t see how I am part of the problem. Treating her and me like strays is wrong. Period. You are assuming all cats are strays? Stopping responsible people from having kittens will not solve the stray problem just like you wearing a condom will not solve the people problem or me giving up my rifle will solve the armed robbery problem. (and by solve I mean help in the little bit that we all should be dong, not Solve).

I will be doing my bit to help the overcatting problem in Taiwan. But this involves making sure that the healthy cat population is not extinct too. I would really hate if my only choice of house cat was a feral rescue.

But thanks for the discussion.

[quote=“Chicken”]“Be part of the solution, not the problem”

I think I see our failure to communicate. My cat is not a stray. Her kittens will not be strays. Her and her kittens will be fixed when needed. I don’t see how I am part of the problem. Treating her and me like strays is wrong. Period. You are assuming all cats are strays? Stopping responsible people from having kittens will not solve the stray problem just like you wearing a condom will not solve the people problem or me giving up my rifle will solve the armed robbery problem. (and by solve I mean help in the little bit that we all should be dong, not Solve).

I will be doing my bit to help the overcatting problem in Taiwan. But this involves making sure that the healthy cat population is not extinct too. I would really hate if my only choice of house cat was a feral rescue.

But thanks for the discussion.[/quote]

Your assumption that I assumed your cat is a stray is incorrect.

I know you can understand that, if you want three kittens and adopt from a shelter you have just reduced the problem by three; if you produce those kittens, you’ve either increased the problem by three. The difference is six kittens. Multiply that by the number of people who want to see their cat have kittens, and there’s the bulk of your problem.

Take a look at the shelters, the adoption centres and Web sites, and then tell me that you producing kittens is a good thing. You care about the situation, and you tell others to be aware of it too - well, that’s what I’m doing.

Great to hear that you want to help the cat overpopulation problem, though. I’m just not sure how breeding will do that.

None of my comments are meant to be rude or hostile - honestly. Just realistic.

Sean

(edited because I misread last post)

Uhm, I think I’m going to regret jumping in on this conversation as I will be perceived as contributing to the “rude, insulting”, and “off-topic” messages you’re getting, but Chicken, I’m not convinced that you know what you’re doing. I’d also like to see some evidence that breeding your cat is the right thing to do, and I say this as someone who is not at all close to the problem. Your “hypothetical example” was an appallingly illogical argument. Asking people to NOT breed their cats is not at all equivalent to imposing reproductive restrictions on humans. For starters, humans tend only to produce one offspring at a time. Secondly, the value placed on human life is such that if economic difficulties came down to it, even that human child born into a poverty-line household COULD NOT be justifiably abandoned. Those kinds of social/legal preventatives aren’t as strictly upheld with regards to animals, and that’s why people will harp on about the issue that you raised… especially in a climate like Taiwan’s, where animals ARE abandoned with alarming frequency.

I am not suggesting that you would abandon any of your kittens, if you could not find a home for them. But SO MANY other people do, that for every kitten you convince someone to take, one kitten on MeetPets or CatKingdom (some of whom are strays who may not have started life as strays, and many seem to come from loving homes, like yours, with “good intentions” for their wee ones) probably has to find another home. Just look at how many there are! Besides, how exactly are you going to ensure that those kittens are going to be fixed when the time comes? Are all the females of that litter going to be fixed after their kittens, too? And then their kittens…?

The population of healthy cats is far from extinct here… but the number of responsible, loving pet owners is definitely limited.

Finally… as a very average pet-owner whose family has always sent their cats and dogs straight to the vet to be spayed/neutered, as soon as they were of age… Knowing some vague arguments about long-term emotional and physical health if cats were allowed to have one litter, I sometimes felt guilty, but none of my cats ever suffered for having been spayed before they had kittens. Really. This IS one of the easiest “little bit that we all should be doing” things. How often can you NOT do something and have that be good? =)

I love cats and they are great and spectacular creatures. I love their attitudes, dignity and aloofness.

You say you want to have a litter of cats. Will you be taking them all or most of them? If not it will probably be difficult to find them good homes. What then? Are you prepared to house a full litter of cats? It would be quite a bit of work.

Your other option is to take your pick of literally thousands of cats and kittens around this country and raise them as you would your own litter.
You can feel great that you have saved however many cats you take under your wing, you are giving these poor creatures a life and a home and you can feel happy you are not contributing to the problem.

I know I would feel more satisfied with the second option. I would rather save one innocent life rather than create more innocent lives that need to be saved.

Scott

Chicken, I can understand why you feel attacked. But it wasn

I think the main characters in this thread both have a point so I’m not gonna try to take sides. I do think I have something valuable to add so listen up…

It’s all well and good rescuing cats and keeping them as pets, but (I think) the problem is that those cats were extremely hungry for quite some time during their lives. This means that every time they see food they will remember the time they were so hungry and try get at it. As a result they will always be begging for scraps and trying to get at food in the house … not the ideal pet (I know it sounds cold though).

My gf and I just bought a kitten. She’s a white persian, also known as a chinchilla. We bought her online from what seems like a very loving family, not from a pet shop. She has always been loved and had everything she wanted. She always shits and pees in her box and is even less maintenance than my fish. She has the coolest personality and just wants to play and be petted. We also want to breed her (with a chinchilla) and we know that their will be able to find good homes for the kittens as they are very sought after cats.

My conclusion is that if you want to get the perfect pet that you have always dreamed of you should get exactly that and not settle for less. People like us that take the time to even discuss our pets online, wil almost definately take adequate care of them and will not add to the stray problem. There will always be the bastards out there who will desert their pets, and if your heart is big enough to rescue these poor animals, then you have my greatest respect (Stray Dog!).

I’m sure Chicken’s kittens (fu**ed up as that may sound) will all go to great homes and make wonderful pets. I also see Stray’s point … it’s a difficult one to call!

Just my 2c…

teggs

teggs, I couldn’t disagree with you more. What is “that perfect pet you’ve always dreamed of”?

It doesn’t make sense to me to breed cats in Taiwan when there are too many already. All “perfect” pets as far as I am concerned.

Your arguments would make sense if other cats didn’t suffer because too many people look at it the way you do. Maybe you will find homes for your kittens but that means those homes will no longer be available to help the animals in real need. :frowning:

What menghsindy said.[quote]The population of healthy cats is far from extinct here… but the number of responsible, loving pet owners is definitely limited. [/quote]

I also liked this question.

[quote]Are all the females of that litter going to be fixed after their kittens, too?[/quote]I’d like an answer to that as well. Where does it end? How does it ever get better that way? Aren’t the female offsprings just as worthy as the mother?

Oh, I get it…That cat is YOUR cat so it’s special…That goes for Chicken. Find it offending if you like but I find your attitude selfish and depressing.

bobepine

[quote=“menghsindy”]Uhm, … but Chicken, I’m not convinced that you know what you’re doing. I’d also like to see some evidence that breeding your cat is the right thing to do, and I say this as someone who is not at all close to the problem. Your “hypothetical example” was an appallingly illogical argument. Asking people to NOT breed their cats is not at all equivalent to imposing reproductive restrictions on humans. For starters, humans tend only to produce one offspring at a time. Secondly, the value placed on human life is such that if economic difficulties came down to it, even that human child born into a poverty-line household COULD NOT be justifiably abandoned. Those kinds of social/legal preventatives aren’t as strictly upheld with regards to animals, and that’s why people will harp on about the issue that you raised… especially in a climate like Taiwan’s, where animals ARE abandoned with alarming frequency.

I am not suggesting that you would abandon any of your kittens, …?

The population of healthy cats is far from extinct here… but the number of responsible, loving pet owners is definitely limited.

Finally… as a very average pet-owner whose family has always sent their cats and dogs straight to the vet to be spayed/neutered, as soon as they were of age… Knowing some vague arguments about long-term emotional and physical health if cats were allowed to have one litter, I sometimes felt guilty, but none of my cats ever suffered for having been spayed before they had kittens. Really. This IS one of the easiest “little bit that we all should be doing” things. How often can you NOT do something and have that be good? =)[/quote]
Quote shortened.

Well where to start.

Your not convinced I know what I’m doing… Good! I like to keep people off balance. It’s easier to tip them over.

My ‘appallingly illogical argument’ was meant to point out the logical fallacy in the knee jerk objections I received. If you really can’t think of a good reason to have kittens then I can’t help you. But I will take another stab at it. Say you all have your way. No one ever has a cat on purpose again. The only cats you can take home were born on the street (that is what your asking me to do). What is the result? Only feral cats in homes. I do not want a feral cat. I want a cat that was born in a loving home.

Next. You popooed any psychological or biological arguments for having kittens. Well you are wrong. Spaying is a very intrusive surgery and there is plenty of evidence that cats are better of getting it as late as possible and after one litter of kittens. This is unlike neutering which can be done soon after maturity.

Ideally I would like to keep 1 kitten to have a 2 cat home. The rest will go to people who want them. You are right that after they leave my care I can not grantee that they will be fixed. Therefore, as it has been pointed out to me that cats do not have a high value, and to avoid your social/legal preventatives, I will have to euthanise them. Now do you feel better knowing they won’t be abandoned on the street? :loco:

No cats will be put down in my home, this was biting sarchasim

Now. Although I enjoyed a good debate with Stray and there have been some good points raised, I must insist that we get back to the topic of this thread.

The topic of this thread is how to find a good stud for my cat. She is not a purebred, just a nice orange cat. I would like the father to be orange too. No cats will be harmed by this union by abandonment or otherwise as long as I have a say in the mater.

No chinchillas please!!
:laughing:

Ps. a chinchilla is a little rat/mouse thing used for coats in the 70’s members.aol.com/sirchin/chininfo.htm
adopt a chinchilla today!

[quote=“Chicken”]My ‘appallingly illogical argument’ was meant to point out the logical fallacy in the knee jerk objections I received. If you really can’t think of a good reason to have kittens then I can’t help you. But I will take another stab at it. Say you all have your way. No one ever has a cat on purpose again. The only cats you can take home were born on the street (that is what your asking me to do). What is the result? Only feral cats in homes. I do not want a feral cat. I want a cat that was born in a loving home.

Next. You popooed any psychological or biological arguments for having kittens. Well you are wrong. Spaying is a very intrusive surgery and there is plenty of evidence that cats are better of getting it as late as possible and after one litter of kittens. This is unlike neutering which can be done soon after maturity.

Ideally I would like to keep 1 kitten to have a 2 cat home. The rest will go to people who want them. You are right that after they leave my care I can not grantee that they will be fixed. Therefore, as it has been pointed out to me that cats do not have a high value, and to avoid your social/legal preventatives, I will have to euthanise them. Now do you feel better knowing they won’t be abandoned on the street? :loco:

No cats will be put down in my home, this was biting sarchasim
[/quote]

Sorry. I’m not letting you have your thread back just yet. =)

Anyhow, I’d like to lightly chide you for misreading what I wrote. My argument is not against anyone getting a kitten from wherever they want to get a kitten – off the street, from a friend, from a reputable breeder, plucked steaming from the womb of a championship chinchilla, whatever. All cats deserve a loving home, whether they come from a pet store or a ditch.

My point is the lack of loving homes, especially here in Taiwan. Actually, I CAN think of good reasons for breeding cats, and even better reasons for breeding dogs – that is, responsible breeding. That includes screening pets for temperament, genetic defects, and other specific qualities (i.e. hairless and dander-free animals, certain breeds bearing unique traits). There is and probably always will be a market for show animals and breed-specific animal lovers, and that’s not my battle here. Pardon me for being presumptuous, but it doesn’t sound like spawning a prizewinning line is your intention anyway.

You sound like a very proud, loving cat owner. And taking her overall health into mind, you seem pretty set on letting her have just one litter for good intentions – for the sake of her health, and hers alone. You can probably find plenty of citations that back your stance, but I’m willing to bet that there are more citations in support of the exact opposite. Like I said, my family’s own females were all spayed at about 6 months and they’ve all led perfectly pampered, healthy lives… one’s about 15 years old and still kicking. Anyway, please just take a look. I don’t think you’ve bothered to look at anything I’ve thrown your way, otherwise you would notice that the majority of cats listed on those other sites I’ve sent you AREN’T feral cats – it’s obvious even if you can’t read Chinese – and probably WOULD fit your simple description of a “cat that was born from a loving home”.

So if you want to drop another box of kittens into that queue, I can’t stop you.

I don’t know why I jumped into this whole debate anyway.
Maybe because I feel like there’s clearly a better choice. <-- Not biting sarcasm, just disgruntled muttering.

Hi, Teggs.

I just have to say that this isn’t something that we’ve encountered, although, to be honest, we’ve only rescued a small number of stray cats (mostly kittens).

I do know that even the most expensive pedigree will try to get at food in the house, and all cats, from feral to pedigree, can be trained not to beg.

I also have to dispute the ‘perfect pet’ scenario, as pedigrees are abandoned just as much as less-genetically-modified cats. We just got a call today to help find homes for two very-expensive-looking cats.

Chicken, you are not witnessing ‘knee-jerk reactions’; these people have all experienced the sad result of cat overpopulation, and we all know that breeding only pedigrees or having only good intentions when breeding simply cannot stop that; adopting abandoned animals instead of breeding definitely will.

The sad thing is, most of the stray cats you see originated from a ‘loving’ home.

No one wants feral cats as pets; I think you may not understand the difference between the terms ‘feral’ and ‘abandoned’ or ‘stray’. Abandoned or stray cats make fantastic pets; feral cats can with patience. It’s incredible, but we rescue so many abandoned or stray cats and dogs only to find that they are absolutely perfect as house pets.

We can never prevent cats being bred; our goal is to reduce that number. Once we have prevented the totally unnecessarily high number of cats and dogs being euthanized every day, then we can look at sensible breeding again. I see that day as unlikely to happen, but I do know that, statistically speaking, by asking you to adopt instead of breed, we can save at least one kitten, and prevent the suffering of the percentage of those that you produce who will end up being abandoned, neglected, or producing more kittens than you could ever dream of.

Your argument about late spaying is dated. I would be interested to read anything you have on that, though.

On a final note, take a look at Sirakwai’s thread about looking for a purebred cat, as he knows exactly what kind of pet he wants. You’ll find it very enlightening. You can read it [url=Does anyone have a pet cat? At least take a look at the last page.

What does having a litter of kittens have to do with spaying being intrusive? I don’t follow your logic.

We are debating whether it is a beneficial for your cat to have a litter, not whether she should be spayed. And my comments regarding the psychological and biological aspects of queening were a response to your post which said:

.[quote]However if you can not think of a reason why a healthy cat should not want kittens born into a loving home than you need to step back and look at things again. [quote

From what I have read on this subject, it is my understanding that a cat does not “want” kittens and that allowing a cat to have a litter yields no benefit to her but does expose her to very slight risks associated with giving birth. Spaying her is a whole other issue. And as I am interested in both of these subjects, so if you have information to the contrary, I’d be grateful if you would share it.